Cattle Producers Endorse Proposed Traceback Bill

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
R-CALF United Stockgrowers of America

"Fighting for the U.S. Cattle Producer"

For Immediate Release Contact: Shae Dodson, Communications Coordinator
February 28, 2008 Phone: 406-672-8969; e-mail: [email protected]" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cattle Producers Endorse Proposed Traceback Bill

Washington, D.C. – In letters sent to Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont., Sen. Jon Tester, D-Mont., and Rep. Dennis Rehberg, R-Mont., this week, R-CALF USA relayed that the organization has endorsed and supports what is referred to as The Traceback Bill, a proposal by John Munsell of Montana to achieve traceback of beef products to their point of slaughter, and requested that the trio consider carrying the proposed legislation forward to both chambers of Congress.

"One reason for our endorsement of this proposal is the recent E.coli recalls in America," wrote R-CALF USA President/Region VI Director Max Thornsberry, a Missouri veterinarian. "Subsequent news media reports show that consumers' confidence has been shaken, which could reduce consumer demand for our beef products. R-CALF USA is concerned that continuing recalls will occur until USDA forces the slaughter plants, which are the origin of E.coli and Salmonella-contaminated meat, to implement effective corrective actions.

"If passed, The Traceback Bill proposal would require USDA to trace back to the plant of pathogen contamination, and force noncompliant plants to change production practices to reduce the likelihood of shipping contaminated meat into commerce," he continued. "R-CALF USA firmly believes that USDA enforcement actions must be directed toward plants that are the source of contamination, not at downstream facilities, which are merely the destination of previously contaminated meat."

R-CALF USA's member-approved policy asserts that the current HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point) form of meat inspection "has failed to protect the consuming public and thereby hurts beef demand." R-CALF USA members are calling for an immediate reform of HACCP to "return to a 'hands-on' method of inspection rather than HACCP's 'hands-off' type of non inspection." The member-established policy also calls for accurate tracebacks of meat products to slaughtering plants, as would be achieved by The Traceback Bill proposal.

Note: To view the letters and the language of the proposal, visit the "Animal Health" link at http://www.r-calfusa.com, or contact R-CALF USA Communications Coordinator Shae Dodson at the phone number or e-mail address listed above.

Old Timer-

Looks like this bill would attack the Cold and not the symptoms.

I know animal tracing systems have to cost something- do you have any idea how much?
Is the cattle producer responsible for it or does the USDA foot the bill?

Thanks for the education.

USDA monitoring slaughterhouse operations....Interesting. Would they pawn it off to the sate levels?

Sugarman":1a4897w4 said:
Old Timer-

Looks like this bill would attack the Cold and not the symptoms.

I know animal tracing systems have to cost something- do you have any idea how much?
Is the cattle producer responsible for it or does the USDA foot the bill?

Thanks for the education.

My understanding is this would not be animal tracing- it would be tracing/labeling the beef as to the lot or kill shift- and thru all the other grinding and processing plants some of it goes to after slaughter.....Its looking more at the problems associated with trim meat and ground meat....

Not sure- as far as I can see cost isn't specifically addressed in the proposed bill:
http://www.r-calfusa.com/Animal_Health/ ... CKBILL.pdf

I know when I watched the food safety hearings the other day- this was brought up by many Congressmen- so that if the major packers just sampled/tested and IDed each lot - or each shifts kill- that it would greatly reduce the size of these recalls- and that it would show more quickly the location where the problem is coming from... If someone became ill or product tested contaminated they could recall lots of 20,000 lbs if something showed up later- instead of millions of lb recalls now....Just like the Topps company that bought grind meat from numerous plants- by not keeping track of which came from where- and testing before mixing all together- and not labeling lots- they had to recall ALL and it bankrupt the company...

The Congressmen did mention that many plants were already doing this- and commented that much of the cost could be saved by most in their liability and insurance rates being lower....Dole is now doing it with their produce since their lettuce and spinach recalls cost them so much....

I thought they were already required to do this- but guess they aren't.....