Cattle pricing

Help Support CattleToday:

steerhorn

Reaction score
Not sure this is where this posting belongs, but hopefully will get some responses.

This has been a really bad year as far as pasture and hay making was concerned. So bad, I'm considering, well,... I guess I've made up my mind to sell down. I just cannot justify the cost in buying feed it will take to make it through the winter.
I have someone interested in buying some of my cows. But I'm not sure what to ask as far as price.
Could anyone offer suggestions to their worth?
I went to a local salebarn yesterday to try and get an idea, but really didn't see much to compare with. What I thought was maybe close were bringing .50 to .57 /lb.
These cows are bred, and in good shape.This will be their 4th calving season (2008). They're a Beefmaster-Limosine cross.
Bred to a Black Angus bull.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Do you know how many months bred the cows are? Are ya'll in a drought there? Those things will have an effect on the price. Here cows are high right now since we are coming out of the drought and people are low on #'s and buying back.

About 2 weeks ago we sold two bred cows at the salebarn.
1 Red cow 1300 pounds about 6 months bred $650
1 Black cow 1245 pounds about 4 months bred $920
Luckily there were buyers from non-drought area there buying up the bred cows. Red cow was 7-8 and the black cow was 4-5 years old, but did have a bigger frame.

The problem you're going to run into is anyone local who might want your cows probably doesn't have the pasture or hay either. If you can get someone from a non-drought area to look at your cows you might get around $850 a head. Some of the pricing will be related to how far along bred they are.

Just my two cents worth

I put the bull in June 1st. So, depending on when they came in, they could be as far as about 4 months along.

We were drought stricken this summer, though finally received some rain which made for a decent last cutting for those who had any at all.

I was hoping $650 - $700 wasn't too out of line. I'd say they're in the 1300 lb range. Some more, some less.

Thanks for the quick replies.

for 6yr old cows shortbred id say $600 to $800.alot depends on how bad the guy wants the cows.

Wow, you guys make me wish it was feasible to come to your neck of the woods and buy cows! Prices considerably higher up here last time I looked a the market report bred cows were closer to 900 pairs were around 11-1200

sjr725":2ivppk91 said:
Wow, you guys make me wish it was feasible to come to your neck of the woods and buy cows! Prices considerably higher up here last time I looked a the market report bred cows were closer to 900 pairs were around 11-1200

They are definitely higher here too. Anywhere from 900-1200 for bred.

Sold the cows and bull yesterday.

Cows went a little low, I thought. The 6yr olds brought between .49 and .52. The 2 bred heifers, they through in with the "fat" cattle, which surprised me, though I don't know why. they brought about the same so I guess it didn't matter.
The angus bull brought .60 and weighed 1665 lb.
I hadn't been to the stockyard for awhile. Usually sell direct from home. (beef on the halves, etc.) Sure has changed in this area. Not at all what I remember growing up. Only 2 buyers present, and maybe 6 or 8 "spectators". No competition what so ever at all to manipulate the price.

Is it like this everywhere???

steerhorn":1galh1il said:
Sold the cows and bull yesterday.

Cows went a little low, I thought. The 6yr olds brought between .49 and .52. The 2 bred heifers, they through in with the "fat" cattle, which surprised me, though I don't know why. they brought about the same so I guess it didn't matter.
The angus bull brought .60 and weighed 1665 lb.
I hadn't been to the stockyard for awhile. Usually sell direct from home. (beef on the halves, etc.) Sure has changed in this area. Not at all what I remember growing up. Only 2 buyers present, and maybe 6 or 8 "spectators". No competition what so ever at all to manipulate the price.

Is it like this everywhere???

Same story here last friday, 3yr old reg gelbvieh at 1880 brought .67

sorry pairs 950

625lb steers 112.25
550lb steers 117.00

2 buyers no competition

The bred cow market is so bad up here right now. Better off selling for kill. Good kill cows will bring 50's.

Limomike":27u0d7hs said:
sjr725":27u0d7hs said:

They are definitely higher here too. Anywhere from 900-1200 for bred.
Without having looked at the markets lately I would say that's about right for my neck of the woods.

Was at the Mt. Hope Ohio sale on Monday night bred cows and cows with calves at side were bringing from 600-1000 with most in the 6-8 range