cattle prices

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
cattle prices continue to climb.
according to what i havve heard it's supply and demand due the some oversea's market that were closed and have been opened up.
the world economy improving which is allowing for people to afford beef and some say population growth.
but i see an over supply of beef.
back a month ago the texas cattle auctions were turning people away due to the lack of pen space.
packer were leaving cattle at the sale barn for as long as a week and paying yardage due to not being able to process them.
i think it's all paper
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Commodity ... 1.html?x=0
whats your thought ?

cross_7":nxn7htxv said:
according to what i havve heard it's supply and demand due the some oversea's market that were closed and have been opened up.
the world economy improving which is allowing for people to afford beef and some say population growth.
back a month ago the texas cattle auctions were turning people away due to the lack of pen space.
packer were leaving cattle at the sale barn for as long as a week and paying yardage due to not being able to process them.
i think it's all paper
whats your thought ?

I think you're right. It seems markets today have so many factors involved, who knows what really drives it all. I do know this that I price cattle just as quickly as I can, cattle would still be high if they took $10 out and as wild as the swings have been that could easily happen.

Larry

we penned an sorted off 7 or 8hd last nite,an sent them to the sale.so ill know how good or bad the market is in a little while.still have about that same amount to go in 2 or 3wks.

We had the first bred cow and heifer sale of the season yesterday . 100 hd black AI'd heifers from a proven program ranch went for 1300-1500 . 80 hd big black cows , short term 925-950 .

Don't know how things are going to shake out the next month and a half . Quite a few guys are getting hit with lite calf weights as we're starting to ship up here . We had lots of grass this summer , but it was real wet and not much protien in it . I know several ranches that are holding alot of heifer calves this year and planning on selling bred heifers next year . We've got aleast 2 ranches with Texas cattle on them up here . One guy bought a bunch the other that I know of has cattle from the 6666 ranch . Those are kind of on a care lease deal . they pay a set price for calves you wean and provide the bulls , you feed them . They are fall calvers , I don't know if these guys up here figured how much more they are going to have to feed to keep that cow and calf in shape till April or May . I don't think there is enough money in it , but that's just me.

larryshoat":1h8p4ccf said:
cross_7":1h8p4ccf said:
i think it's all paper
whats your thought ?[/quote

I think you're right. It seems markets today have so many factors involved, who knows what really drives it all. I do know this that I price cattle just as quickly as I can, cattle would still be high if they took $10 out and as wild as the swings have been that could easily happen.

Larry

Anybody ever notice in my posts on cattle prices I always think they're going down :lol2: :lol2: .
Ha :lol2: I haven't been right in 2 years :lol2: .

Larry

Around here, there's really only one way to drive cattle prices down. That is for ME to send a bunch to the salebarn :lol2: :tiphat: ............

ill see what the calf weights an prices are monday or tues.i can take a guess if im right on the # of hd $450 to $575 a hd.

larryshoat":6m9siy17 said:
cross_7":6m9siy17 said:
i think it's all paper
whats your thought ?

Larry
I wonder if you might be correct. Over the past 2 years the price swings have either made millions or broke some people. The trading of commodities such as cattle by people that have never had shi? on their shoes worries me. If I was very big I think I would have some type of insurance for the prices either with FSA or futures pricing. I only have a few hundred head so it will not break me or make me millions if the market changes but for some it could be very good or very bad. I think the numbers are not really known but manipulated to whatever is needed to make the paper traders a profit.

Its confusing to me. Of course, I'm fairly new to owning, and selling, my own cattle. But I also own a small business. Generally prices of products and services are set by market demands (or lack of). I certainly don't understand commodities, futures, and I don't understand how prices have stayed so high during this drought. The market has been flooded, fuel and feed are high. What gives? It seems to me, what goes up (or stays up, when when all other indicators say it shouldn't), must come down. Not down hard, but I haven't even seen a little bit price reflection from the situation.
Can anybody give a greenhorn an brief but reasonably understandable explaination?

alot of the feedlots was buying just enough cattle to stay open.an then they was told either buy the cattle an fill your pens or your done.so they started buying cattle.then this bad drought hit forcing the mass sell off of calves an cows.

Ouachita":2mtkek2z said:
Its confusing to me. Of course, I'm fairly new to owning, and selling, my own cattle. But I also own a small business. Generally prices of products and services are set by market demands (or lack of). I certainly don't understand commodities, futures, and I don't understand how prices have stayed so high during this drought. The market has been flooded, fuel and feed are high. What gives? It seems to me, what goes up (or stays up, when when all other indicators say it shouldn't), must come down. Not down hard, but I haven't even seen a little bit price reflection from the situation.
Can anybody give a greenhorn an brief but reasonably understandable explaination?
Demand for the product (beef) is still there and feeder prices are still high. If you'll check back a few months packer cows in most areas were up in the $80's.....now they're in the upper $50's so there has been a considerable downturn in that area. But for the first time in a long time those forced to sell or at least making a few dollars.

Latest posts