cattle prices

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
is there a website that you can get daily prices? i may not be asking the right question, but where do the auction barns get their prices? i have seen the futures go up and it not translate in a better price at the barn and vice versa. and i have heard buyers at the barn talk about "todays" price??

what am i missing here?

thanks

jt

jt":2tnq9amm said:
is there a website that you can get daily prices? i may not be asking the right question, but where do the auction barns get their prices? i have seen the futures go up and it not translate in a better price at the barn and vice versa. and i have heard buyers at the barn talk about "todays" price??

what am i missing here?

thanks

jt
nothing the rest of us aint, bout need a crystal ball

7 wiehgt Red Angus heifer $65 cwt, 8 weight red baldy $67cwt, 2- 7 weight Red Angus steers $95.50. Went through the ring one after the other. Go figure

JT - I may not be answering the question you're asking but I'll take a stab at it.
If you're looking for real time data for cattle futures the easiest place would be the Chicago Mecantile Exchange website. For real time auction prices, you could probably google that and find something that would help you. Most buyers are working off orders from their respective clients and there are a great many variables that would factor into what they are willing to pay for cattle -particularly transportation costs. A lot of folks monitor what goes on at the major terminal markets and those usually give a good indication of which way things are going. Of course, there exists another set of variables that can result in dramatic price differences from region to region - not the least of which is the weather.
The bottom line is always the same - anything at an auction (cars, furniture, cattle, what ever) is only worth what two people are willing to pay for it until one decides its too high.

BB

thanks all. maybe what i asked about does not exist. bullbuyer, you probably hit the nail on the head. it probably all boils down to what the buyers limits are from the one he is buying for with all the variables causing a major difference from time to time.

thanks frankie. i have that info already and use it to see keep up with certain locations.

there is a guy at a certain barn i go to occassionally that buys for himself, and resells to a killing plant. about all he buys is killer cows. i kind of had the idea that he was more up on "current" prices instead of the futures based on what i have heard him and others say. somewhere down the line, there is a max that a buyer will give for that day and it has not always seemed to me that it followed the futures price a couple of months out.

i know another buyer that i see more often that i can ask.

i am through ramblin.. thanks for the responses.

jt