Cattle Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

I sat in on the sale Monday, and there were more cattle there than I have ever seen. And a lot of buyers. Cows were bringing a lot more than usual, especially the fairly young ones. Feeder calves were down about 20% it seemed. This is just as compared to what I would usually expect to get for mine. Can't figure what the reason for the high volume may have been......

for all the reasons stated above plus a few more.the feedlots dont want to pay high for the corn.so they are letting the feedlots empty out.an they want heavier calves going on feed.

Here any thing over #500 is bad (around .6-.7), under #500 is decent... but not good (.8-.9).

Are feed lots just trying to get cheap cattle... kind of ride the economy is bad deal. Do people really eat less beef in times like this? :???: 5

bigbull338":3n0cdxcl said:
for all the reasons stated above plus a few more.the feedlots dont want to pay high for the corn.so they are letting the feedlots empty out.an they want heavier calves going on feed.

Corn is down now, so why have the calf prices not reflected this?

tom4018":15phpsm5 said:
bigbull338":15phpsm5 said:

Could have something to do with the credit market affecting the cost of borrowing to fill those feed lots. Could also be that they're just scared of what thr economy is going to do. Doesn;t matter how cheap feed is if you can;t make a profit t slaughter time.

dun":22x22vjo said:
tom4018":22x22vjo said:
bigbull338":22x22vjo said:

Could have something to do with the credit market affecting the cost of borrowing to fill those feed lots. Could also be that they're just scared of what thr economy is going to do. Doesn;t matter how cheap feed is if you can;t make a profit t slaughter time.

I think you just hit the nail on the head dun- lack of any confidence right now...I know in many of the feedlots I've dealt with a lot of the pens of calves are neither owned by the producer or feedlot- but by investors...And right about now I don't think there is a lot of money to invest- or investors with confidence to gamble on the future..

bigbull338":3qqoklwu said:

Bull, take some heavy calves to the sale, some in the 700 to 800 range and come back and post the prices. I will bet they will be in the .65 to .75 cent range. I have been there and done that last year and again this year and found the opposite of what you post.

hurleyjd":i264d4dy said:
bigbull338":i264d4dy said:

Bull, take some heavy calves to the sale, some in the 700 to 800 range and come back and post the prices. I will bet they will be in the .65 to .75 cent range. I have been there and done that last year and again this year and found the opposite of what you post.

took some calves off for the neighbor this past Monday avg price on 8wts was $.87 he had some 5wts brought $.98 and a couple 8wt bulls he missed at working that brought $.78 he also sold some 450 that brought $.95 that was at Joplin Mo

hurleyjd":191wji5a said:
bigbull338":191wji5a said:

jd took a load of 6 heavyweights 4wks ago.the ave weight was 760lbs an the ave price was .69 a lb.the high price was .75 alb an the low price was .55 for a mean fighting calf.still have 3 or 4 more to go in jan.the feedlots havent raised the price they give for calves yet.

Latest posts