cattle prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Beef demand is up in the US and the rest of the world. Canadian border is closed to the US and much of the rest of the world. Droughts have caused the cow herd to be smaller. Some experts say that when these high cattle prices hit the supermarket they will start featuring pork and chicken which are cheaper. So enjoy it while you can.

I agree with all of the above and would add one more factor. The US dollar has weakened and that helps domestic producers while hurting those who would export to the US, including Mexican producers. I haven't seen any hard numbers on Mexican cattle in a good while but it seems to make sense.

Craig-TX

Cattle prices run in cycles. We should see this high price trend for at least a couple more years. First off, the drought last year caused real producers in cattle country to sell all but their core of top producing cows. This years calf crop is smaller in numbers as a result. Don't look for herds to get back up to where they were prior to the drought either. One reason is since calf prices are at an all time high many producers will take the money now and not retain as many heifers to breed the next year. Secondly the drought is not over in cattle country. We are as dry at the end of this year as we were at the same time last year. We are at the top end of the cycle now, ride the wave.

"When better cattle are produced, The Nebraska Sandhills will produce them."

[email protected]

> "When better cattle are
> produced, The Nebraska Sandhills
> will produce them."

I assume this means that you are from Western Nebraska? If that's the case, I got a question for you -- what are hay prices doing out there?

I'm just outside Lincoln and have a friend who lives outside Sidney. From what I'm hearing on prices from her, it sounds like it would be much cheaper for her to have me buy hay here and bring it out to her. I'm paying approximately $3 a bale here for both grass and alfalfa small squares (approx $120/ton), while she can't find anything out there for less than $6.

I usually feed large rounds ($65/ton for grass: $75/ton for alfalfa)) and only keep a few small squares around for convenience. I would be quite interested to know your opinion on what the hay prices are doing out there, so we can decide if it would really be worth it to drive her out a load.

Ann B

[email protected]

Hay is 15$ for good heavy round bales in Tennessee(West).I could have bought some 1200# rolls or really good bermude with some trash in it (Johnson grass,) for 20$ but I all ready had spoken for the 15$. Last few years really good weather for us...

[email protected]

> I assume this means that you are
> from Western Nebraska? If that's
> the case, I got a question for you
> -- what are hay prices doing out
> there?

> I'm just outside Lincoln and have
> a friend who lives outside Sidney.
> From what I'm hearing on prices
> from her, it sounds like it would
> be much cheaper for her to have me
> buy hay here and bring it out to
> her. I'm paying approximately $3 a
> bale here for both grass and
> alfalfa small squares (approx
> $120/ton), while she can't find
> anything out there for less than
> $6.

> I usually feed large rounds
> ($65/ton for grass: $75/ton for
> alfalfa)) and only keep a few
> small squares around for
> convenience. I would be quite
> interested to know your opinion on
> what the hay prices are doing out
> there, so we can decide if it
> would really be worth it to drive
> her out a load.

> Ann B

Just a snippet from Australia. At the moment,prime lucerne hay can cost up to $15 a small bale,oaten hay can cost $8-$10. Round bales can cost anything from $35-$120 a bale. These prices might come back when all of the country comes out of drought.

[email protected]

I know a guy who is selling grass hay for $60 ton in west NE. We had more rain this year early than last so in turn we had more hay to put up. If your talking a semi load of hay it won't pay. We figured it would cost us 45 to 50 dollars a ton to haul 400 miles. Look in the midwest messenger their are tons of people trying to sell hay.

[email protected]

Latest posts