cattle prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Doc-
I read these posts much more than I post and I also know that many of your posts are to get others to think about subjects so let me inject some thoughts.
Much of the problems in AG is being discrimated and controlled by the Big, Rich & Powerfull. We are controlled in every direction- be it at the bank, the feed yard, the fertilizer & seed company, and the gas station. And most of those areas are not owned by anone in Ag. We've all been "gigged" by the banker who would'nt loan us money because of our size, name or location. We can't get a decent price for our beef because of imports of cheap, not quality beef - and who merits the rewards - not the beef raisers on either side of the water!
And yes there is plenty of gouging. Gas went up $.40 this week due to the premis that there might be a hurricane. And, be it to high, diesel has actually been about $.10 cheaper this year compaired to last. Yep- fertilzer went through the roof, but most hay producers in this area don't put a drop on grass hay ground and the serious alfalfa raisers contract to large dairy outfits and can afford to because they get paid a high premiums for that type of hay.
If all beef were bought by the yield & grade of the product instead of the color there would be a significant change is price structuring.
It's difficult to make adjustments on smaller outfits due to drought and other imput demands due to a lack of resources (mainly money). Heck we can now get gluten rather cheap, sometimes free if you have the means to transpost and store. Not everyone can just go do that or just go out and buy equipment, especially when things are tough.
Which brings up an interesting thought. For years the western ranchers have had the inside on beef production for several reasons - cheap land, very reasonable rents on vast quanities of BLM land to pasture and because feedlots went with close proximity of the cattle and not the feed source. Things could be and are changing fast. If all the feedlots close up shop and go east to where the cheaper feed and lower transportation of those feeds are, the producers have to pay the burden of transportating their cattle east, and land gets more swallowed up by the investors who will be crying the sky is falling!
There used to be a somewhat level playing field of what we produced and sold but not today. We used to be judged by the quality of our product and paid accordingly. The rules of supply and demand have been strongly altered by investors not consumers and producers. Niche markets for egg shells might be hot for a short time until the Chinesse can import them cheaper and gov't regulations shut you down.

Egads cutter, if you are not happy with beef prices like they are now you need to find a new business!! Beef has not been this high four times in the last 25 years. As to the feedlots moving EAST???, I don't get that one. The feedlots moved to where the corn was. Environmental regs and nuisance lawsuits would keep most of them from moving to the more densely populated east. High corn, high fuel costs, high labor costs, etc should HELP beef compete. It is chicken and pork which is devastated if corn and fuel go up.

Any little entrepreneurialism schemes that you may need help with - I am your boy!

A man after my own heart. I've got a list of ventures that sure enough raises eyebrows and lifts noses of the scoffers when the relatives finds out what i'm up to.

This is the other half of willie and I think that if you are going to deal with living things(plant and animals) you are going to have to expect some bad times along with the good. If you can't handle the pressure of bad times then get into something else!

Latest posts