Cattle prices

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
Yesterday I went to the Meridian auction. There was a pen full of brangus bulls and heifers probably about 4 to 6 month old calves. I couldn't resist and bought some heifers. Prices were good. I paid $1.24 to $1.26. My only regret is not buying more. These brangus were sequentially numbered and all came from the same place obviously. My guess is that it was from a purebred herd but there is no way of knowing and no one spoke for them. The bull calves were bringing about 20 cents more a pound. It was a very good looking lot and most of ya'll know how partial I am to brangus. I only regret not buying more. I truly think everyone is going to be building their herds next year do to the drought culling over the last two years. My speculation is that prices are going to get really high come spring.

There were some good young commercial bred cows that came through that I almost bought as well. Problem was they are going to calf in December/January and I didn't want to deal with that.

I lost a heifer calf that was born yesterday a.m. Don't know what happened. I can only postulate and didn't find anything obvious. The cow had her first calf 12 months ago with no problems. I went to the auction looking for a calf to put on the cow. There were not many spilts. I bought a little steer and put him with the cow. She let another calf nurse her last year so I figure the calf may graft. I brought her and the calf here to the house and have them on a 4 acre lot. We'll see what happens.

your right the last 2 yrs of drought have forced alot of people to sale out.come jan or feb i feel the cattle prices will get high again.i think we will see cows bring $1500 or more for top cows.

backhoeboogie":1130sn0j said:
Yesterday I went to the Meridian auction. There was a pen full of brangus bulls and heifers probably about 4 to 6 month old calves. I couldn't resist and bought some heifers. Prices were good. I paid $1.24 to $1.26. My only regret is not buying more. These brangus were sequentially numbered and all came from the same place obviously. My guess is that it was from a purebred herd but there is no way of knowing and no one spoke for them. The bull calves were bringing about 20 cents more a pound. It was a very good looking lot and most of ya'll know how partial I am to brangus. I only regret not buying more. I truly think everyone is going to be building their herds next year do to the drought culling over the last two years. My speculation is that prices are going to get really high come spring.

There were some good young commercial bred cows that came through that I almost bought as well. Problem was they are going to calf in December/January and I didn't want to deal with that.

I lost a heifer calf that was born yesterday a.m. Don't know what happened. I can only postulate and didn't find anything obvious. The cow had her first calf 12 months ago with no problems. I went to the auction looking for a calf to put on the cow. There were not many spilts. I bought a little steer and put him with the cow. She let another calf nurse her last year so I figure the calf may graft. I brought her and the calf here to the house and have them on a 4 acre lot. We'll see what happens.

Sounds like you got a good deal, you can keep them for yourself or if prices are up next year sell as bred heifers and make some profit.

I assume though you got them as keepers though?

aplusmnt":1maq3t2f said:
I assume though you got them as keepers though?

Yes. I had cut way down and need probably 50 head. I have been considering just selling hay instead. I had made a few auctions and considered buying but didn't. Yesterday I couldn't resist.

warpaint":ki7camfb said:
Good luck with them, Boogie.

Thank ya Paint. I still have a fear of the cattle auctions. It is pretty easy to get caught up in the frenzy when you see something you want and it all goes pretty fast too. You'd better know what you're looking at and the professionals are there buying who do it all the time. It is kind of hard to compete with them.

Professional buyers make mistakes on a few head but they buy 100 or so. If I make 5 mistakes on 10 head it is a 50% failure.

I feel really good about the cattle I bought yesterday. I was looking them over again this a.m. They are bawling for home. Gave them a bit of feed. They are settling in with an old matriarch "pet" cow I have. They'll bond to her and I'll move them to the farm in while all settled. The wheat, rye and clover are coming on hard. Think I will move them in when the herd is moved onto some new growth.

backhoeboogie":1mty5gqk said:
I feel really good about the cattle I bought yesterday. I was looking them over again this a.m.

There have been times I've paid more for some cows then may have been prudent, but to this day when I see them and the calves they've raised with the lack inck they've generated I'm still pleased I spent the money.
Good luck and with any luck 5 years from now you'll look back on buying them as being a stroke of good fortune.

dun

dun":9hdvyn5w said:
Good luck and with any luck 5 years from now you'll look back on buying them as being a stroke of good fortune.
dun

Thank ya Dun. I don't think there is anyway I can lose with these. I already have a good brangus bull and I have good pastures for them to forage on.

I bought 3 heifers last Thursday one 570 lb balck heifer for $.98 a lb then two black heifers avgerage weight 550 lbs for $1.04 lb. Missed a good looking balck baldy heifer that weighed 615lbs she went for $.92 a lb. Now is a good time to be buying it looks like.

The Thursday before last that had 22 heifers in their 3rd period that sold for $1250 a peace . It will take a long time to start making any money on thoes.

Stepper":3b2le8i2 said:
Now is a good time to be buying it looks like.

It sure seems like the right time to buy to me. The heifers I picked up cost between $444 and $474 but they were much lighter than the ones you found.

Latest posts