cattle prices

Help Support CattleToday:

applepie

Reaction score
I know there is no DUMB questions, but I would like to know........I was looking at the cattle market on http://www.cattletoday.com/markets.htm and I was wondering if this is per animal or am I just not getting this right ($114.00 for a 400lb calf for example). If this is correct how in the world are you even supposed to break even after feed, vaccines, etc. cost of cow etc etc.....
Does these "prices" mean what you would get if you shipped your cattle off or what? What are some other avenues of selling your cattle for a good price? And how long will a good cow produce as a lifetime?
Thanks newbies are probably always fun :lol:
applepie

applepie":3sqbv91q said:
I know there is no DUMB questions, but I would like to know........I was looking at the cattle market on http://www.cattletoday.com/markets.htm and I was wondering if this is per animal or am I just not getting this right ($114.00 for a 400lb calf for example). If this is correct how in the world are you even supposed to break even after feed, vaccines, etc. cost of cow etc etc.....
Does these "prices" mean what you would get if you shipped your cattle off or what? What are some other avenues of selling your cattle for a good price? And how long will a good cow produce as a lifetime?
Thanks newbies are probably always fun :lol:
applepie

That is the price that you get "per hundred weight" so you get $114.00/100 lbs, or 1.14/pound. And yes that is what you should get if you were to ship them to the auction mart. You can also sell them on the internet, by satellite or through the newspaper or by word of mouth. The first two are usually auctions and the last two would be privately.

A good cow will produce for 10+ years, and some will go 15+ years.

At market? If you are selling them for beef no, Guys buying at the sale barn don't care if they are registered usually.

Also for ease of figuring, if the cwt is too confusing :D , you could say $1.14 per pound.

Cattle sold at local/area auction barn (sale barn) are sold "by the pound". Buyers (e.g., slaughter house buyers, locals looking to get "a deal" on an animal, etc.) could care Zip about whether the animal is registered or not. They are looking for body condition, healthy "appearance", hide color, and perhaps temperament.

FYI, I keep hearing people talking about "cost of registration". This amazes me in that in the Longhorn industry, it costs $15. to register one (don't know about other breed registries). The difference between a Longhorn being registered or not when sold to private buyers can mean hundreds (in some cases, thousands) of dollars more for a registered (used for breeding stock) over a non-registered "grade" animal.

For example, by spending $15 to register a Longhorn, I can sell a calf as future breeding stock for $2,500. Unregistered to sale barn: $250 to 500 depending on "weight". You run the numbers...lol.

we register our cattle, but we sell them as breeding stock....the bull calves we end up with that are less than great go in someones freezer, but we do not sale barn or auction them....got em standing in line with numbers to get them.... :)

the reg selling prices are differant than stocker calf prices.when you sale reg bulls an heifers.those are the 1s that you feel is fitt for breeding stock.the bulls that arnt fitt for breeding are sold as feeder calves.

MrGale":2ws4o4gj said:
we register our cattle, but we sell them as breeding stock....the bull calves we end up with that are less than great go in someones freezer, but we do not sale barn or auction them....got em standing in line with numbers to get them.... :)

MrGale, if the line gets to long for you to handle, send them my way :lol: