Cattle Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":112ohvwt said:
With the prices I saw today almost better off selling the cows and the bull and hold on to heifers.
Gonna be a lot of hurt folks this fall before prices turn upward again
Best price I seen through the barn today was a buck thirty.

The cattle cycle bottom could be a couple years out.
I culled pretty hard last year, and will cull harder this year.

A lot of small scale cow/calf expansion recently in this area, and a bumper crop of hay this summer. Grain prices are below cost of production and there are rumors of $80/T for alfalfa hay. So, I think folks will be tempted to retain more heifers and continue the expansion.

I have trouble going with the flow... I have been thinking about getting another bird dog. :nod:

The recent Cattle on Feed report had the on feed numbers up but not as much as trade analyst had thought. Study that report. The number of heifers on feed was up. Look at cow slaughter it is up over last year. The expansion is slowing as todays prices do not entice someone to expand.

The recent Cattle on Feed report had the on feed numbers up but not as much as trade analyst had thought. Study that report. The number of heifers on feed was up. Look at cow slaughter it is up over last year. The expansion is slowing as todays prices do not entice someone to expand.

Took a pound cow to market this morning, went in to see a few feeders sell. My figures aren't exact because I don't have a great memory capacity with a bunch of numbers. The first observation was that there weren't many cattle there, maybe just an off time. Saw some little groups of black and BWF heifers, from around 400-550 lbs. bring from around $1.31-1.40. Then 15 head of 950 lbs. steers brought $1.40, I believe.

At the sale on Friday a $1.30 was about the top price for any feeder cattle. Common feeders over 700 pounds were under a dollar. Common bred heifers and mid age cows that were bred to calf in January/February went to kill for about 60 cents.

I saw two beef industry articles recently - - one predicted cattle prices would drop an additional 15%, the other predicted 22%... No base line, no time line, no class of animal, no geography. Is there a use for forecasts this vague or they a wasted of time?

I went today a bought some cow calf pairs from a old man (87 years old ) he said that cattle prices would go back up as soon as the election was over. He said they wouldn't be as high as they where but would go back up some. Hope he is right. Or maybe he just said that to get me to buy his cows lol

pricefarm":1ddgxexs said:
I went today a bought some cow calf pairs from a old man (87 years old ) he said that cattle prices would go back up as soon as the election was over. He said they wouldn't be as high as they where but would go back up some. Hope he is right. Or maybe he just said that to get me to buy his cows lol

He's got 87 years of experience. I sure hope he's on to something. Although if they will kinda level out at least I can survive at today's prices.

Latest posts