cattle prices, up and down

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I was talking to an older gentleman about the cattle prices and he and I think that everything goes in cycles, I havn't read anything about cattle prices going back up but I would hope they would. I am looking at buying a farm next to me but I am a little nervous that cattle prices won't go back up quick enough because I am planning on the cattle to help pay for the farm. Anyone heard of any good news about cattle prices?

I don't know how feeder calves can get better when the guys that buy them and feed them are losing about $100 per head.

BC":lphzg0sb said:
I don't know how feeder calves can get better when the guys that buy them and feed them are losing about $100 per head.

Times are hard but there are always opportunities. A piece of a joining land came up for sale several months ago but we can not put enough down to make it cash flow with cattle. I spoke to the (ex) owner - - he is thinking about reducing the price, but admits that someone from town will probably end up buying it for a hobby farm.

The current fact is a lot of folks are losing money on both cattle and land. I don't have much confidence in forecasts and bailouts, and the wife brought home chicken for dinner. I think you need to look into leasing (with an option to buy) unless you have a lot of cash to put down.

if you really want the adjoining farm you had better buy it.an do the best you can to cash flow it.cattle prices will always be up an down.

Tax apprasier here has ranch land valued from $2000 to $4000 an acre , takes 5-10 acres to run a cow-calf , with $0 to $50 profit per cow it will take a long time to pay out.

This has been shown by many to be the up side of the cycle. Many other factors have came into play besides supply this time. Supply has historically decided when the cycle changes.

Douglas":2znyaoqk said:
To make sense as an investment you would have to consider the future sales prices of the land.
Well said.
I have no idea what will happen in this crazy economy.
Jim Rogers I have mentioned before, says commodities and agriculture is going to be where the money is. When he speaks,I listen. But he can't say when.

You cant sell in the furture unless you have a time machine,today is all you have.
The cattle market is full of profit up or down.
If your not profitable today, right now, more land isnt going to help.
This is good news !!!!!!
All it takes is simple math not some furtures market lier.
2+2 will always =4 even in bailout math.

Latest posts