Cattle prices should go up

Help Support CattleToday:

Sir Loin

Reaction score
Cattle prices should go up, as well as beef prices in the store.

Posted on Sat, Jan. 27, 2007
Texas slaughterhouses continue to process horse meat
By Jim Fuquay
McClatchy Newspapers
(MCT)
FORT WORTH, Texas - Two North Texas slaughterhouses will continue processing horse meat for zoos and other animal pet foods but not for human consumption as they prepare a petition to the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, their attorney said Friday.
Source: http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 561778.htm
Also see: http://www.dailysouthtown.com/news/2401 ... S1.article

what's your point?
The point is simple economics.
As the US supply of horse meat to Europe and Asia are cut off, the demand for beef can only go up from Europe and Asia, if they are going to eat, and as the demand for beef goes up, so will the price of beef go up.
It’s simply the law of supply and demand.

Sir Loin":2bjui03r said:
what's your point?
As the US supply of horse meat to Europe and Asia are cut off, the demand for beef can only go up from Europe and Asia, if they are going to eat, and as the demand for beef goes up, so will the price of beef go up.

645,000 head of cattle were slaughtered last week in the US. I bet the number of horses slaughtered is a drop in the bucket.

I see what your saying gabby. I do think the market will rise alittle in the next few months.

I bet the number of horses slaughtered is a drop in the bucket.
True, 100,000 head per year, is a drop in the bucket compared to 645,000 head per week, but it still will have an effect on the market.

Sir Loin":fwv82qg6 said:
what's your point?

There is no demand from Europe for our product. They have excluded US beef for years over the use of implants.

What I Think Is The Cattle Prices Will Go Up Just As Corn Has Gone Up Also You Have To Look At Other Factors Like Supply And Demand

Sir Loin":o1fv6khb said:
what's your point?
It's simply the law of supply and demand.
What keeps another country from filling that void?
If they want horse meat someone will be there to supply it.

stolen from Wikipedia
Production
In 2002, the 14 principal horse meat producing countries produced 700,000 tonnes of horse meat, with over two-thirds produced by the top six: 1 China, 2 Mexico, 3 Kazakhstan, 4 Italy, 5 Argentina, 6 Mongolia [8]. The consumption of horse meat in Europe in 2001 was 153,000 tonnes [9].

A UK Food Standards Agency (FSA) 2003 investigation has revealed that salami sometimes contain horse meat, without this ingredient being listed as legally required.

Very few horsemeat producing countries specifically raise horses for meat as cattle are; instead they use ex-racehorses, riding horses, and other horses sold at auction, sometimes stolen or purchased under false pretenses[10]. Meat from horses that veterinarians have put down with a lethal injection is not consumed, as the toxins remain in the meat; the carcasses of such animals are cremated. When used for food, horses are, like cattle, stunned with a captive bolt gun and bled to death. In most horse meat producing countries horses are slaughtered in large-scale factory slaughter houses similar to those used for cattle.

Latest posts