cattle prices of heifer angus (300-400lbs) or bred cow islow

Help Support CattleToday:

uscangus

Reaction score
average prices for heifer calf(black angus) around 300-500lbs is around 50-59 cents per pound with great color,coat,eyes,structures, and sizes. sold 10 young heifers as a group for 59 cents per pound with great structures and psychology(docile). the brother were sellling for 65-70 cents per pound. some sold as a group as 19, 10, 10, and 8 (so on), either heifer or steers. the bred cow were selling around 40-42 per pound and bred to 4 to 6 months. half of cows were either white face and black angus that were bred to black angus bull. holstein calves were selling around 10-15 dollar bull calf. holsteins with average utter were selling around 450-600 dollars per cow. a lot of cull cows were selling around 37cents per pound. also, alot of hamburger meat from dairy either steers or cows.

average bred cows are either too old with utter dropping near their knees or look like culls cows, ready for hamburger meat.
the question i have from the experience boards is how do you determine the age of cow without looking their teeth-just base on the size of the utter. some of the bred cows were not great with color, size, structures, and conformity. but the young heifers look great but the prices are favorable. if i was a farmer with cows that gives me problem in calving, i would easily sell it to auction as a bred cow(buyer beware), but not the cows with easy calving-that is my problem when i see them in auction. :help: :tiphat:

mouthing a cow is the only real way to tell her age.but now if the cows have been grazing in the sand.their teeth will be wore plumb down to nothing.an they could be young cows.

bigbull338":1eevlqyf said:
mouthing a cow is the only real way to tell her age.but now if the cows have been grazing in the sand.their teeth will be wore plumb down to nothing.an they could be young cows.

can you please elaborate whey you means "mouthing a cow". i am new in this business and boards. thank you kindly. :tiphat: :wave:

uscangus":34qsafjy said:
bigbull338":34qsafjy said:

can you please elaborate whey you means "mouthing a cow". i am new in this business and boards. thank you kindly. :tiphat: :wave:
Mouthing is checking the teeth for wear similar to what is done with horses, except it's nased strictly on the length and solidness of the teeth.

Angus Cowman":1a68ggtm said:
if those were actually GOOD black heifers they sold for almost half of what they are going for around here
last week at JRS 400 weight hfrs were bringing $1.02-$1.12

yes, angus cowman, these starter young heifer were selling that prices. i am willing to wait till end of october-early november where the price would dropped more around 50-59. the bred cows are questionable in regard to their age without looking their mouth in an auction adn the color and quality. with that prices and the quality and conformation, i coerces to buy starter prices around 300-500lbs. last year, i purchased a group of steer from the same farm with great personality(friendly and dociles traits), and they were like kids. today, they were selling groups of heifer or steer in washington, south of seattle, from the same farm at the auction. i could wait a little. :tiphat: :wave:

Angus Cowman":3t5yo2wb said:
if those were actually GOOD black heifers they sold for almost half of what they are going for around here
last week at JRS 400 weight hfrs were bringing $1.02-$1.12

Same here,

Prices must really be in the tank there.

ASHERN AUCTION MART
FARM MARKET REPORT
OCTOBER 7th
No. of Feeder Cattle: 1916
Slaughter Cattle Prices
D1 & D2 Cows. 35 - 41
D3 & D5 Cows 25 - 35
D3 & D5 Cows 37 - 45 age ver
Good Bulls 45 - 52.75
Steer Prices
500 - 600 94 - 111
600 - 700 85 - 99.75
700 - 800 86 - 100.50
800 - 900 85 - 96.25
900 - 1000 80 - 92
Heifer Prices
500 - 600 80 - 86
600 - 700 80 - 87.25
700 - 800 75 - 88
800 - 900 77 - 80.25
900 - 1000 70 - 80.75

This is Oct 7th sales report as reported in our local coffee news, CND funds

Wow.. Times have changed over the past few years. I am talking with a guy about 12 Angus calves.. 400lb'ers and they are looking for $2.60 / lb / animal. Hard to believe the difference in just 4-5 years. Same animals used for the same purpose.

The Bubble will pop but it's just a question as to how long we can stay in and when to slow down before the air is let out.

tikkasniper":h7m54p5p said:
Wow.. Times have changed over the past few years. I am talking with a guy about 12 Angus calves.. 400lb'ers and they are looking for $2.60 / lb / animal. Hard to believe the difference in just 4-5 years. Same animals used for the same purpose.

The Bubble will pop but it's just a question as to how long we can stay in and when to slow down before the air is let out.

This bubble won't ever burst my friend nor will we ever see gas much below $3.50 a gallon so just bite the bullet and roll with it.

I wish I was as confident as you sound. I didn't expect to see corn below $3 / bu. either but it's happened.

tikkasniper":15lklb3v said:
I wish I was as confident as you sound. I didn't expect to see corn below $3 / bu. either but it's happened.

$3 corn was easy to see coming if you pay attention to the macro economics of a corn crop. The cattle deal won't last forever as eventually herd building will happen, its not going to the moon like some predict but we have to get increased production in the system to effect the supply driven market we are in at the moment. It will come down just a matter of how much and when.

TennesseeTuxedo":2kgpvqle said:
Workinonit Farm":2kgpvqle said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2kgpvqle said:
nor will we ever see gas much below $3.50 a gallon

A few places, not too far from me, regular is priced from $2.61 to $2.73.

No way!

I just filled up last night for $2.88. And I am way up here a long ways from anything in a state with very high gas tax. Who knew? Cattle prices will drop but they can only go so low. If calves drop back below a dollar people will have to get out of the business. Of course when that happens the cow herd will shrink and prices will go back up.

Workinonit Farm":1nux3pwz said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1nux3pwz said:
nor will we ever see gas much below $3.50 a gallon

A few places, not too far from me, regular is priced from $2.61 to $2.73.

No way![/quote]

yes way!

2.75 here today !! offroad diesel is 2.85[/quote]

Fuel is about to start going back up.Saudi Arabia is getting restless about the low price of oil. Elections are next week after that that they'll go back up.

Latest posts