Cattle Ponds

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I like the idea of drinking clean water from a fountain. I also would like a cool pool of water to stand in when it gets hot if I couldn't get under the airconditioner. Some say it promotes foot rot and some say they lost cattle when the pond froze from the cattle falling through the ice. I personally don't know anyone who lost cattle from the ice. I have heard so many pros and cons about ponds. My partner wants to fill in the ponds. I have a feeling that if he was out in the pasture this summer, he would get pretty mad if I drained it while he was standing in it. I need some input on this subject if anyone has an opinion. I am thinking leave the pond and put in an automatic waterer.

Chuckie, water from a stock tank (man-made pond) is the only water most of our cattle ever drink. On a couple places they have a choice between tank water and holes in the creek. The creeks are intermittent but there are a few holes that last all year. The few days a year they drink well water is when we're catching them or have them penned. The place we live on has a trough that stays full all the time. They prefer that, no doubt about it. But not enough to walk very far out of their way to get it. Pond water won't hurt them a bit. Somebody else will have to address the ice risks.

cattle walking on frozen pools during winter are few an far between but it does happen but not enough to warrent the cost of digging a well and pumping water to the cows the odds of losing a cow on an icey pool is like 1/1000.0000 scott

bigbull338":jzwhef1f said:
cows the odds of losing a cow on an icey pool is like 1/1000.0000 scott

It depends more on how many head you have on the ice.A single cow or 2 is likely to be fine.

Fello west of here lost 30 cows and a bull 3 yrs ago watering from a dugout.

Why not the best of both worlds? Fence the cows out of the pond and install a concrete freeze proof waterer that is supplied from the pond.

dun

dun":r5zaf0uh said:
Why not the best of both worlds? Fence the cows out of the pond and install a concrete freeze proof waterer that is supplied from the pond.

dun

excellent idea

the case you talk about is true but like they say fence the pools up and put water throughs an sypher pumps on them to fill the troughs scott

I have 3 man-made stock tanks on my place, but also I have
the big galzanized(sp) Tank for them in the pen with one of
those cheezy heater things for winter. Its a redneck hot tub :)

It dont freeze enough to walk on water here, so I cant help ya there.

Fencing the pond off is a good idea, but I think I would like for them to be able to get to it in the summer to cool off in. It doesn't bother me for them to drink from the pond. Then in the winter when he thinks it is freezing too hard, then shut the gate. That sounds too simple for me to win! Heck, a two strand high tensil fence would be easier to put up than spending several hours on a trackhoe. Right now they also have acess to a tank fitted with an automatic valve. We already have an automatic waterer to put in to take it's place, just have to find the time to run the lines, make a concrete pad and a heavy use pad.

I have a question that I hope y'all can help me with. Our cattle have water at 1/2 mile and 2 mile distances. Is 2 miles too far for them to comfortably graze and still walk to water a couple times a day...I believe I would see better utilization of the pasture if I put in some water, maybe more than 1 tank/pond. We have 2000 acres and 4 water spots...

chuckie, i have lost cattle by falling through the ice. i now run one strand of electric so they can only get in to drink along one edge for around 20 feet or so, works winter or summer

those freeze proof tanks are nice if they work right. have to keep checking to make sure they are always running right( pipe can plug) & some times they stick wide open & drain the whole pond

Thanks Arnold. I agree, 2 miles is too far. Lots of rocks here, high summer temps and no flat land to speak of. Great article on that site.

Rafter E":2t5qwz41 said:
I have a question that I hope y'all can help me with. Our cattle have water at 1/2 mile and 2 mile distances. Is 2 miles too far for them to comfortably graze and still walk to water a couple times a day...I believe I would see better utilization of the pasture if I put in some water, maybe more than 1 tank/pond. We have 2000 acres and 4 water spots...
It is good for cattle to have to walk some to get to the water, for this helps to keep the bulls in condition for breeding and it also helps condition their hooves. Two miles might be too much.

I can't comment on the ice effect as we don't have snow let alone any ice problems at home. But i can guarentee that the cattle would appreciate the water in summer. Our cattle will actually go swimming in summer here in our lake (in summer it is usually about 1.5m deep and since the cattle are dexters - they swim :) ). When being called or rounded up without fail they will choose to go through the water instead of around it. Its amazing how well the calves can swim automatically.

generally, the cows wont be on the ice if you have cut enough holes in the ice to let them drink without getting out on it. The key is to get up early enough in the morning to cut it before they decide to all go out on the pond looking for water. I have also lost calves on the ice from getting out on it out of curiousity and then falling and going spread eagle. that is dangerous for them

Jerry and Stocky, I would be pretty upset if I walked out to the pond and found a cow, bull or calf dead in the pond. The temps very seldom hold that low for an extended period of time. But it has before. I can see that it is a good idea to either fence them off of it completely in the winter or to just allow limited areas since the waterers are heated.

Latest posts