Cattle Pink Eye

Help Support CattleToday:

Jfaulken

Reaction score
We are extremely dry here and my pasture is right next to a dirt road with a lot of dust. I have about 8 calves that have developed a large white spot on their eye (pinkeye i think) and i think it is from the dust plus fescue grass seed that i let get too tall before i clipped it. My question is will their eye problems go away over time without treatment or do they need to be gotten up and given a shot of LA200 or penaquas penicillin. They look awful.

JF It might not be pink I and just an irritation I would try to find out what it is before you try to treat it You might be throwing money away also there is a chance of over use of antibiotics and bacteria becoming immune to the antibiotic. Just a suggestion .

denoginnizer":1mmgebd7 said:
Is cattle pink eye and human pink eye the same critter? Can you catch cattle pink Eye?
I think in humans it is called conjunctivitis and can be viral or bacterial. In cattle it is Infectious bovine keratoconjunctivitis- caused by moraxella bovis. Not the same thing. Anyone may feel free to correct me. :lol:

conjunctivitis is a symptom rather than a disease. Can be caused by foreign bodies in the eye as well as infection, as in pink eye. In the UK we call pinkeye New Forest Disease

Jfaulken":30s340cx said:
We are extremely dry here and my pasture is right next to a dirt road with a lot of dust. I have about 8 calves that have developed a large white spot on their eye (pinkeye i think) and i think it is from the dust plus fescue grass seed that i let get too tall before i clipped it. My question is will their eye problems go away over time without treatment or do they need to be gotten up and given a shot of LA200 or penaquas penicillin. They look awful.

I don't know if you have pinkeye or not, since I can't see your cattle. Their eye problems may go away over time, depending upon what is wrong with their eyes. Or the problems may get worse. I would not recommend giving antibiotics indiscriminately. Dust will cause runny eyes. Call your local vet,. If you have 8 animals with it, a professional opinion can certainly be justified.

Remember, I'm not a vet.

If the eyes are watery but the eye ball itself isn't hazy or milky it's probably an irritant, i.e. grass seed, pollen, dust, poked by tall grass, etc..
If it's milky/hazy it could be either IBR or run of the mill pink eye.
So, check with a vet.

dun

If they already have a large white spot in the eye I'd get'um up and give the LA200 pronto. Better to medicate now than let it get out of hand and lose an eye.

ctlbaron":tc7c32mk said:
If they already have a large white spot in the eye I'd get'um up and give the LA200 pronto. Better to medicate now than let it get out of hand and lose an eye.

Thats what we've done for the 2 or 3 cows we've had with the same symptoms. Cleared em up good.

For the 2 month old calf that got it, we administered an ointment daily. Probably tough to do on an older cow though ;-)

Ryan

are you all talking about giving an actual "shot"?

We had one at the farm not too long ago and just squirted the LA200 in the eye and it cleared up.

Latest posts