Cattle people/ farmers are getting old.

Help Support CattleToday:

I'll have to find another one I guess. Maybe them boys will come help me tie her to a tree for a while. That could be an interesting story

Back to our regularly scheduled programming!
Most importantly is the fact that you enjoy what you are doing, and I for one enjoy the pictures and stories you share. We should all have at least one experience with a calf like "Ricochet", :cool:

I let Murray do all the telling of nurse cow escapades... Mine would really set you all off into hysterics. Now that my knees are replaced, I will be getting my cows back off the dairy in the next year... I will have plenty of stories for your reading enjoyment...🤣
🤪

I let Murray do all the telling of nurse cow escapades... Mine would really set you all off into hysterics. Now that my knees are replaced, I will be getting my cows back off the dairy in the next year... I will have plenty of stories for your reading enjoyment...🤣
🤪
I'm extremely excited for you!
And pics and stories!

Ooooo! I can't wait!

I hope you wont go into the barn and randomly shoot around, I know this is a very popular hobby among the happy citizens of your country.

Okay, thats enough trolling. If you continue this you will end up in my ignore list. I wont warn a second time.
Baruch HaShem!

I share a lot on here. Probly way more than I should. And ya'll know there's been plenty of bad with the good.
I hope some folks run across some of this stuff and think, "ya know, I'd kinda like to try that"

Something as simple as raising a bottle calf.
Buying a milk cow and couple calves. And provide beef and milk for the house.
Or having a few grazers to mow my 5 acres.
Or as simple as buying an ol gentle bred cow and calving her out to re-sell or put meat in the freezer.

All of that is "being in the cattle business!"

Some folks may try that and like it! They may like it so much, it'll stimulate them to dream bigger and look for some land to lease or buy.
And some may give up rather quickly.

As I'm sitting here on my old wore out pos 4 wheeler watching the 2 newest calves bounce all over the pasture while mamas chase them to and fro, and the others are grazing, I just think to myself "what a beautiful day!!!"

After all, are you happy ? do you feel peaceful and safe ? I am sure you are most likely not.
I'm not even sure what you're talking about, I'll try to answer.

Yes, I'm very happy.

Yes, I feel peaceful and safe. What do I have to be worried or scared about?

What makes you think I wouldn't feel happy, safe, and peaceful?

After all, are you happy ? do you feel peaceful and safe ? I am sure you are most likely not.

Yes, I'm very happy.

As a young agriculture student and farmer I want to ask how would you convince me or any other young people to get into cattle business or farming in general ? My way is clear but I still want to ask. Are you going to convince me by promising a lot of money ? or what kind of happiness ? What do you live for ? What do you suggest I live for ? How do you intend to convince me to wake up before sunrise and work until the evening for the rest of my life ?
I would not try to convince anyone to get into farming... I want to know if they WANT to.... If being your own boss with the aggravations and heartaches can be accepted with the sunrise on a newly plowed field, if the sight of a new calf that is trying to figure out how to get up and to the teat that is programmed into it's dna that it needs to do... if in the evening you can look at a field of mown hay knowing that tomorrow there will be some long hard hours but that hay will enable you to feed your cattle or be sold for the money to make the land payment... If you cannot find some happiness in the beauty of the land and want to live for simple pleasures, then you will not be convinced and I wouldn't bother to try. Not every day is hard toil, not every day is before dark to after dark.... but it has to come from inside you for you to take it on.... ESPECIALLY if it is not a family farm that you are going to come into in some manner....
There is that thing about a "fire in your belly".... those are the ones that will make it work one way or another...

I hope you wont go into the barn and randomly shoot around, I know this is a very popular hobby among the happy citizens of your country.

Okay, thats enough trolling. If you continue this you will end up in my ignore list. I wont warn a second time.
I also resent the statement about going into the barn and randomly shooting around.... It is certainly NOT a popular hobby among any citizens of this area.... happy or not... the unhappy ones are doing stupid shootings. I don't go around shooting off the gun because I am happy....

I also resent the statement about going into the barn and randomly shooting around.... It is certainly NOT a popular hobby among any citizens of this area.... happy or not... the unhappy ones are doing stupid shootings. I don't go around shooting off the gun because I am happy....
I also resent that statement. I am pretty certain everyone around here would be considered armed to the teeth. But they certainly aren't going to the barn shooting. Who wants holes in the barn? They all hunt to one degree or another. They all pack so they can protect their livestock from predators. They have all had to put down cows from time to time. But to just go shooting. There is an old loading dock built by gold miners ages ago that makes a wonderful back stop. It has had thousands of rounds shot into it. Target practice, sighting in a new gun, or just plinking but nothing stupid.

No you are not happy. I said "most probably" for a reason but you dont give a sign of it.

People live for happiness, look around, everyone is just doing whatever they are doing to be happy. People feel happy/peaceful (both the same) only when they feel safe. This is our nature and a fact. To feel safe, all uncertainties that could give us physical and emotional pain must have disappeared. Money wont guarantee it, thousands of cattle thousands of acres of lands wont guarantee it, a nice house and car wont guarantee it, a good wife or husband, a good job a new tractor wont guarantee it. Pleasure is not happiness. These two concepts are completely confused with each other. Pleasure momentarily suppress unhappiness but it wont take long. People wrongly think that happiness is to repeat instant pleasures and gradually increase the dose as the effect wears off, most of them most of the time arent even aware of this procedure. Thats why young people want to escape from hard work that not stroking their ego and earn a lot of money at the same time, I was like that too but until I sit down and think about it. The system we are in causes us to base our thinking on wrong foundations from the very beginning, from our childhood, even from babyhood.

I gave you quite a few tips for happiness but you have to think about it yourself.

Anyone else able to tell me the formula ?

Yes, I'm very happy.

Last edited:
Thanks but all these advices are for the unhappy work done with the survival instinct. To live one more day of misery with the hope of finding happiness.

I would not try to convince anyone to get into farming... I want to know if they WANT to.... If being your own boss with the aggravations and heartaches can be accepted with the sunrise on a newly plowed field, if the sight of a new calf that is trying to figure out how to get up and to the teat that is programmed into it's dna that it needs to do... if in the evening you can look at a field of mown hay knowing that tomorrow there will be some long hard hours but that hay will enable you to feed your cattle or be sold for the money to make the land payment... If you cannot find some happiness in the beauty of the land and want to live for simple pleasures, then you will not be convinced and I wouldn't bother to try. Not every day is hard toil, not every day is before dark to after dark.... but it has to come from inside you for you to take it on.... ESPECIALLY if it is not a family farm that you are going to come into in some manner....
There is that thing about a "fire in your belly".... those are the ones that will make it work one way or another...

Latest posts