cattle numbers

Help Support CattleToday:

Jake":2b6b7a5y said:
I am honestly hoping that some folks around us decide to cash in and open up some pasture. The opportunity cost is our main cost against our heifers but I am more than willing to overlook it and continue expansion. We may be on a high cycle but my brother and I are young enough to ride this bucking beast out and take advantage of opportunities that may arise.
it'll probably be more and investment in your future to do it...

For all of us diehards.. it dont matter if the prices rise or fall. IM in it for the long haul.. wherever or however long that is...I guess til they bury me, or I cant do it anymore..

I am not too worried about people not being able to afford prime rib and filet mignoin etc etc . There are allot of people hurting in the United States but there are also a group in the United States that is richer than it has ever been and don't see any signs of letting up. The average Burker King and McDonalds person wasn't eating those high dollar cuts of meat in the first place and markets being open to rich Japanese and rich Koreans will keep the price up for a really long time as long as there are no more BSE scares. Not to doubt anyone because I know they feel like they are tellign the truth but I have heard people were getting out of the cattle business for years. But most of the time people have it in their blood and just tend to adapt to what ever the change sin the industry are. Whether really low prices in the 80's or these extremely high prices in the 2010's.

not the rich,,, i know several millionaires that balk at a $5.00 pound of bologna... the common man is what keeps this country going... here at work,, the wealthy bast#$ds are the hardest to deal with

ALACOWMAN":1vu1hek0 said:
i hope you Texans that held on, get a break this year ..looks like were gonna get our monthly 10+ inchs of rain.. 6 of them last week. the ground is like stepping on rotten apples
10" WOW, we're suppose to get some today. Thus far O for the year. Rye grass is chasing the dogs.

lynnmcmahan":6j5l6fom said:
ALACOWMAN":6j5l6fom said:
i hope you Texans that held on, get a break this year ..looks like were gonna get our monthly 10+ inchs of rain.. 6 of them last week. the ground is like stepping on rotten apples
10" WOW, we're suppose to get some today. Thus far O for the year. Rye grass is chasing the dogs.
we get the majority of our annual rain fall in december and january.. last year it came the form of snow

I agree the common man keeps America going but the common man if he was eating Burger King he will still be eating Burger King even in this economy and if it is a millionare eating McDonlads he or she will continue to eat McDonalds. I am just saying that the people that were eating prime rib will continue to eat prime rib along with new groups of prime rib eaters in Asia. If prime rib was a special occasion meal before I don't see that common man sitting down to a chicken breast special occasion meal. I said all that to say I don't see lack of demand being a reason for beef prices to fall in the short term. imo

well ive always said running cattle aint for the faint of heart.we are just getting our time of good prices in the middle of a drought.an the hay is higher than the devil.i heard this morning where there was hay for sale close to me for $90 a bale for 5 by 5s.an here is the kicker,the hay is barn stored an 7yrs old or older.the thing is its the hamnow they say feeder calves berger eating people thats keeping weigh cows an bulls price sky high.weve never seen weigh cows bring $40/100 to $80/100 or the bulls at $60/100 to $100/100 in our lifetime.now they say feeder calves will go for $1.30 to $1.80 a lb either.

u4411clb":2witb8dx said:
Fri Jan 13 New Brockton Alabama 3 weight feeder bulls Medium and Large 1 $2.05/lb. Got to admit this kind of shocked me a little.

:shock: I'm just as shocked as you. That's a good price for there. You normally don't get top dollar there maybe a few cents off. Not as many buyers.

I would also add from a small cattlemen on the dairy side that I have also wondered if now would be the time(age 55) to sell out. Was offered $100/A for rent from corn farmer. Not sure I'll make that much with cattle. Our soil here SC KY is not Ill or Ia.Lots of uncertainty.

I have always prided myself on tending the family farm. Over the years I haved eased out of tobacco. Cut out the row crop, and focused on cattle and hay. They are more enjoyable to me, and fit in better with a public job (school teacher). With cattle this high I have been offered $200 an acre for my flat ground, and $150 for my slopes for row crops. Belive it or not I am going to stick with the cattle and hay. I can't stand the thought of another man tending my farm. Its been in the family a little over 200 years. Drought, hail, tornados, and floods did not run my ancestors in the house. I want let money put me in the shade in the summer, or by the fire in the winter. I know i can get out now, and get back in when the boom goes bust. I just cant stand the thought of it

Latest posts