Cattle marketing

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have been marketing my calves at weaning in Nov at the local market but was recently approached by a feedlot about maintaining ownership through the feedyard. This has got me thinking - how should I be marketing my cattle to do some risk management and be the most profitable. I'm in the Sandhills of Nebraska and my cattle are a angus/hereford two way rotation that is crossed on the Husker Red composite bulls for a terminal cross, I'm not unwilling to change my breeding program either. Give me any marketing suggestions you have or any other web pages that might help me.<br>Thanks,<br>Nikki
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

If you retain ownership through the feedlot, I would suggest doing it on a percentage basis. You keep 1/2 or 3/4 ownership and sell the rest to the feedlot. I've been told that if the feedlot owns a percentage of your calves, they tend to take a little better care of them. That also helps with cash flow and risk. Gives you a little money up front and if something happens to the market, your not risking your whole calf crop. <p>Do you know how your past calves have done in the feedlot or carcass quality?
<br>

April 01 fed cattle futures are over 75cts. Should be some money to be made on your cattle with retained ownership. Of course there are a lot of things to consider. Try to talk to someone that retains ownership locally and they can help with the decision if it is profitably or not.Find someone you trust and pick their brain about everything pertaining to yardage costs, feed cost,rate of gain,death losses,feed conversion, if you have good cattle you can make money feeding them out.You have the futures market to hedge and can buy calls and puts to set a floor on the price.The feed yard can help explain all this to you.If they own an interest in the cattle it is to their advantage to do a good job also.<p><p>: I have been marketing my calves at weaning in Nov at the local market but was recently approached by a feedlot about maintaining ownership through the feedyard. This has got me thinking - how should I be marketing my cattle to do some risk management and be the most profitable. I'm in the Sandhills of Nebraska and my cattle are a angus/hereford two way rotation that is crossed on the Husker Red composite bulls for a terminal cross, I'm not unwilling to change my breeding program either. Give me any marketing suggestions you have or any other web pages that might help me.<br>: Thanks,<br>: Nikki<p>
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts