cattle mange

Help Support CattleToday:

DRB

Reaction score
Do cattle get mange? I bought one that looks like it has a case of mange around it's face and on aportion of it's neck...Healthy otherwise...looks like a herford/holstien cross (heifer about 750 lbs looks to be about a year old..)...I know it was stupid, but I can't pass up a cheap price...Life's a gamble...I sure would like to clean this one up..

Unknown breed, unknown age, questionable "mange" or lice??? Probably no guarantee she is de-wormed or otherwise healthy, or vaccinations current....

Hope you didn't pay over $100 for her...

DRB":jc4typuo said:
the hair is all gone leaving a pink to red bald area..even the eye brows and lashes are gone..lice?

It's quite possible that it is lice -- I had a couple of calves do the same thing and Eprinex cleared them right up.

On the other hand, it could also be ringworm.

Ann B

thanks for the info I've sarted treatment....Hey Running Arrow you'd make somebody a good wife you already sound just like mine ;-) I'll keep ya'll posted

DRB":282eai8x said:
thanks for the info I've sarted treatment....Hey Running Arrow you'd make somebody a good wife you already sound just like mine ;-) I'll keep ya'll posted

Don't think so!

My point was...if you don't know what you bought (in livestock) and you have no guarantee the animal is in sound condition and is worthy of adding to your herd or breeding...THEN...$100 would probably be too much to pay for the animal...otherwise, would make one some cheap beef for freezer. :D

The spring of our first year with cattle, we noticed one of our heifers starting to get baldish patches. Went right to the Merck manual, diagnosed mange and began treatment. Other cows began to show similar symptoms so we treated everyone - to no avail. They continued to appear itchy and develop more bald patches. Really concerned and thinking we probably had something like psoroptic mange going, we got the vet out. His laughing diagnosis........... normal spring shedding. We ate humble pie that night

Bill, don't get me wrong..I would not consider adding her to my herd...On the contrary..I have her quarrantined (sp.)..I just picked her up to try to see if I could clean her up and sell her for a profit at the sale barn..Just a lark..I learn a little about them that way..thanks for the help..didn't mean to be too sarcastic..By the way I gave $160 for her..clean she'll bring 450-500..We'll see :D :D

I understand that you are aware of the risk and are trying this to see if you can clean her up. However, I believe that you will end up spending all of your "profit" on medications to fix her problems and loose any little after that on the intensive time to troubleshoot, try, and adjust your strategies to fix her. It would seem more beneficial to me to put that much time, effort, and money into your good cows to produce a better product.

If an education is free it's probably not much of an education! And the best education is experience.

dun

lazyhill":1a9u21wx said:
I understand that you are aware of the risk and are trying this to see if you can clean her up. However, I believe that you will end up spending all of your "profit" on medications to fix her problems and loose any little after that on the intensive time to troubleshoot, try, and adjust your strategies to fix her. It would seem more beneficial to me to put that much time, effort, and money into your good cows to produce a better product.

Did you put her with the rest of your herd? If so you'll need to treat the whole herd if it is lice. They spread pretty quickly.
;-)

Sorry I didn't read all the posts. Good thinking of keeping her apart from the rest of the herd.

DBR,

At todays prices it sounds like a good buy! I would have done the same thing. You should be able to see lice if it is lice, very small but if you stare at them for a couple of seconds they do move...pour on wormer will get them or even a dog flea spray...go with the wormer. In the Pacific Northwest this time of year we are just getting over "rain rot" a fungus caused by all the 'liquid sunshine' we have. 1% Iodine from a spray bottle clears it up, but they lose spots of hair to the point of being bald in areas.

Alan

Latest posts