Cattle losses

Help Support CattleToday:

Gizmom where I live was in the heart of the blizzard. They are estimating 14" of accumulation and at least 10" melted as it fell and an inch or more of rain ahead of the snow. Here I received around 1.5 before the snow started. 40 mph winds with gusts 50-6- mph. I was gone and had 6' drifts when I got back. They closed the roads so I couldn't come home Sunday. By this evening most of the snow is gone except for where the deep drifts were. Many of the deads started showing up yesterday. I'm hearing some real horror stories. One man lost 75 of his 100 cows. I've heard that some think the losses in some of the large feedlots could approach 1,000 hd. Heard of one lot that pulled over 100 deads out of one pen and at least 20 out of all the rest they had been too. The next issue is disposing of them. With the bad ice storm we had in the winter, then the fires and now the record setting late blizzard it hasn't been a good start to 2017 for the farmer/rancher/cattleman. The true farmer/rancher/cattleman will continue on that a that is all they know. Many of the hobbiests will likely quit. The other issue is many cattlemen in this area farm. With farming the way it has been and the recent cattle market some have already been sold out. Others were barely hanging on. I'm afraid this will likely be the final blow for some. Most of the cattle in the lots were insured but most on pasture wasn't. Especially the cows and calves. And for some the insurance had just ran out. In all my life I've never seen anything like this event this late in the spring. Most won't give any estimates. One man said he feels the losses will equal and likely surpass that of the fires. By mid week next week there should be some better estimates. The final total will depend a lot on what the losses are in the feedlots.

Where I have my cattle rain was all that fell. The snow started less than 40 miles south of us. And if we had been 8 miles south the amount was about half of what it was here.

That's a very terrible situation for those people. Know two fellas here in Virginia that have about a 1000 head at a feedlot out there and were scared s%$#less when they woke up and heard about the blizzard. Said their cattle were fine but the same feedlot had 100% loss on their sick lot. Said another feedlot lost 1000s from it. When it rains it pours for some farmers and ranchers. Prayers to all that were affected.

LDEnterprises":odatjtgm said:
That's a very terrible situation for those people. Know two fellas here in Virginia that have about a 1000 head at a feedlot out there and were scared s%$#less when they woke up and heard about the blizzard. Said their cattle were fine but the same feedlot had 100% loss on their sick lot. Said another feedlot lost 1000s from it. When it rains it pours for some farmers and ranchers. Prayers to all that were affected.

LD it is as bad as I've seen and I've been around several years. The number or baby calves lost will be in the thousands by itself. The country here is fairly level and no where for them to get a lot of protection. Cattle that can travel are usually ok. Those confined in a pen or a small pasture get in a corner and pile up and die. Calves get covered up and also trampled. The 75 head loss I mentioned earlier drifted into an old silage pit and got covered up. My BIL had all of the roping cattle for the large PRCA rodeo at Guymon at his place. They let the cattle go. Found some up to 6-8 miles away but I think only lost one. As for the lots your friends are very lucky from what I'm hearing. I will post updates as I hear them. Some of the numbers some are talking about seem unreal so hesitate to post them until there is better info.

Thanks for the update elkwc sitting here in Florida it is hard to imagine snow much less a blizzard. I saw on the news this morning the flooding my gosh it is just horrible.
Please keep us posted, the national news sure isn't concerned after all it's just those old farmers it won't effect the city folk right. Sarcasm intended! I will continue praying for all of those impacted by these storms. Stay safe!

Gizmom

In eastern KS we had gobs of rain ... over 8" in some places over the past 10 days ... but it never for lower than 39 degrees here ...

My heart goes out to those affected.

elkwc and anyone else interested, My wife and I have been involved with the fire relief effort and are dealing with the convoys coming into those areas. If anyone wants to join in we're at 2017 Wildfire Relief on facebook. If you have any specific needs related to the disaster or know someone that does we will do our best to get you matched up with someone that can meet it. We've mainly been dealing with fire stuff but everyone in our group is there because they want to help others so I doubt if anyone will mind if we throw some blizzard needs in there. If anyone not on facebook wants to help I'm happy to check my PM's here.

Just an update. I got a call about 1 today at work for an emergency line locate. When I called it was a rancher around 60 miles away who needed to dig a trench to bury those he lost in the storm. When I arrived I found two lines of yearlings lined up next to each other. Around 75 head total. I took a pic of them. He estimated it would take a trench at least 100' in length to hold them. It is just devastating to see the death loss. While waiting on him I talked to several ranchers who were out looking for those still unaccounted for. By this time next week there will be a better idea of death loss. My boss lost one cow and two calves. He is one of those who got fortunate.

My heart goes out to those folks affected.They have gotten slammed every which way.
I have a question (as someone not familiar with the terrain in the affected areas). I know there was a lot of snow, but we got 38" March 14 without any losses (personally, or to anyone I know). We had the end of the barn open but only a few at a time can squeeze to stand in there. We do have some trees and a hill, plus they are bred for the harsh weather. Also, we had cows due March 28 but they held off during the storm, so we got lucky.
So my question is, for a storm like just hit KA and OK (which I read was 16" in the worst spots), are the cattle deaths a result of the lack of windbreaks due to flatter terrain; the fact that it was late season so unexpected and took people/animals off guard; the stock not being as used to heavy snow (and maybe already lost their winter coats), or other factors? Combination? I did read that rain hit first so maybe that was the killer (couldn't stay warm when the snow then came). Just trying to understand (as a relative newbie) which factors affect them the most. Can't imagine having to bury 75, wow.

boondocks":wzpidk2f said:
My heart goes out to those folks affected.They have gotten slammed every which way.
I have a question (as someone not familiar with the terrain in the affected areas). I know there was a lot of snow, but we got 38" March 14 without any losses (personally, or to anyone I know). We had the end of the barn open but only a few at a time can squeeze to stand in there. We do have some trees and a hill, plus they are bred for the harsh weather. Also, we had cows due March 28 but they held off during the storm, so we got lucky.
So my question is, for a storm like just hit KA and OK (which I read was 16" in the worst spots), are the cattle deaths a result of the lack of windbreaks due to flatter terrain; the fact that it was late season so unexpected and took people/animals off guard; the stock not being as used to heavy snow (and maybe already lost their winter coats), or other factors? Combination? I did read that rain hit first so maybe that was the killer (couldn't stay warm when the snow then came). Just trying to understand (as a relative newbie) which factors affect them the most. Can't imagine having to bury 75, wow.

I will post more this afternoon after I get home from work. As many said in a sense it was a perfect storm. I've seen more wind. In 2007 we had as much rain before and then 24" of snow. This time it was a combination of very high sustained winds with gusts I'm told up to 50-60 mph for over 30 hours. The terrain is relatively flat here. Most of the cattle that could travel were ok as long as they didn't get caught in a corner or drift into a hole or creek. Many lost had wind breaks or held up in fence corners and the same is true of those in feedlot pens. But I have saw several scattered in fields which we normally don't see. I know of some that had to be put down because they inhaled the water. You can hear it rattling in their lungs from a distance. I'm sure some of it is due to cattle not being acclimated but many of the cattle I've seen are native or at least been here for most of their lives. The one bunch of cows drifted into an old silage pit and covered up. Most fences here in KS are one hot wire. In SE KS there are more permanent barb wire fences.Being so late with the recent warm weather a mid 90 degree day a few before I feel also propably attributed to the losses.

government better do something, this should be classified as emergency assistance..

ddd75":2uk6gtpd said:
government better do something, this should be classified as emergency assistance..

BS, the government has no business being in business. Some folks are always looking for something for nothing. I wish everyone the best of luck and prosperity, but bailouts are wrong and not the government's responsibility.

True Grit Farms":b17s4s01 said:
ddd75":b17s4s01 said:

BS, the government has no business being in business. Some folks are always looking for something for nothing. I wish everyone the best of luck and prosperity, but bailouts are wrong and not the government's responsibility.

So you'd refuse Coast Guard assistance if your boat was sinking miles off shore?

TennesseeTuxedo":qrtg7291 said:
True Grit Farms":qrtg7291 said:
ddd75":qrtg7291 said:

So you'd refuse Coast Guard assistance if your boat was sinking miles off shore?

I take precautions to prevent catastrophes from happening, and this isn't a life or death deal IMO. So far in my 59 years on the high seas the Coast Guard has only been a PITA, I've never needed or called for their assistance YET. If I had to depend on the Coast Guard or the government for help I'd of been out of business long ago.

True Grit Farms":rldl0rxz said:
TennesseeTuxedo":rldl0rxz said:
True Grit Farms":rldl0rxz said:

I take precautions to prevent catastrophes from happening, and this isn't a life or death deal IMO. So far in my 59 years on the high seas the Coast Guard has only been a PITA, I've never needed or called for their assistance YET. If I had to depend on the Coast Guard or the government for help I'd of been out of business long ago.

Take 'em off your speed dial then.

TennesseeTuxedo":2ge4ej3u said:
True Grit Farms":2ge4ej3u said:
ddd75":2ge4ej3u said:

I'm sure he wouldn't refuse it nor would he refuse the help of the military, firemen or police. But he's talking about business. Most (maybe none) of us are going to refuse drought assistance, conservation cost share , price supports, or government ag- enhancement assistance, HOWEVER, if they take a vote I would vote for the government to stay out of it. Only reason I do any of those things is because the money is already allocated so I might as well get my share. I do agree the government should stay out of business, but if they do assist I hope everyone takes advantage of it and gets your share. Myself, I pay premiums for insurance against weather related losses, but I understand some people may not can afford to do that. In those cases, it's not the government but friends, neighbors, fellow cattlemen and Christian duty to help out.

Another way of looking at it though, it is the governments job to negotiate trade deals that bring us good cattle prices which appearantly is not being done right now, ALSO they can improve on the market being manipulated, so maybe they owe us. Take all you can get, you've earned it.

TennesseeTuxedo":1etfl6p5 said:
True Grit Farms":1etfl6p5 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1etfl6p5 said:

Take 'em off your sped dial then.

Who would call the Coast Guard to assist those in need if I didn't have a VHF radio? I've been lucky enough to find two floaters, countless Haitians, Cuban's, divers and others that have sunk or lost their boats. I even saved one of the federal witnesses that cost me $25k, and to this day I still feel I should of left him to drown. One of these days I may need the Coast Guards help if they're available which is doubtful from what I have seen, I'm hard headed but not stupid.
I've never taken a bailout to save my bacon, and don't plan to. I'll leave that to your buddies, the bankers and Wallstreet.

Tax payers who face a loss should put foolish pride aside and take full advantage of any help extended by our government. Not saying they have to just that they have every right to do so without fear of scorn.

Had the banking system been allowed to collapse in 2008 as you apparently advocate Mr. Grit we would have descended into chaos and anarchy never before seen in this country. I for one have the sense enough to know that's not a desirable outcome.

The banks have repaid 100% of the funds received and Fannie and Freddie have paid back way more than they received.

Carry on.

Latest posts