cattle lease question/advice

Help Support CattleToday:

saltbranch

Reaction score
I am going to lease some land for cattle from a Cousin/neighbor. I have never leased land so what do i need to do exactly? I have found some generic forms online that I could print out. I will be putting a gate in our fence line for access to run our cattle in and I am going to help maintain fence and basically keep an eye their place as they live 12 hours away and only come to it a few times a year for hunting. It will be a 5 yr lease to start.

I haves some land leased for hay on just a handshake and agreement. It works in that situation with the man I leased it from. If I was having to make major improvement, such as fences or water, I would want the timeframe of the lease agreement and annual payments stipulated. I would also want what happens if the land sales to someone else stipulated.

saltb... It should be your cousin/neighbor coming up with the lease agreement for you to sign. But if you have to do it, then just make sure it is a written one, and the dates of when it starts and ends are specified, what the land is to be used for, and usually the number of animals per acre, and last but not least.. the payment amount and due date.
I am sure there are other things to include too, but thats the basics I can think of.

Thanks for the advice . I told them in order for me to do this, I want a 5 yr min. that way I could see some money out of the deal for me. The land is not going to cost any $$ out of pocket for first five yrs. I am piping water about 300 yds to put a water trough in to have year round water access and patch of 2 end fences and should be good to go.
Start /finish date
Approx. # of head
use: grazing cattle
be able to cut fence post to maintain fence lines on property
water provision to be removed at end of lease
lease valid to end of contract date if property is sold

That look to be more on track with the above in there? My Cousins are city folks and have no clue about this stuff. She wants the tax break for cattle. I just want to make sure I can get my stuff/needs covered by doing this. Not to say I dont trust them, but just want it on paper to eliminate any potential problems in the future.

So you get a free lease and are scared your not going to make money out of it, pardon me but what are you thinking. You stated a little patch job and your good to go. Hope they don't see this they might decide to lease to someone else and make a little money for themselves.

papavillars":1e6dvylt said:
So you get a free lease and are scared your not going to make money out of it, pardon me but what are you thinking. You stated a little patch job and your good to go. Hope they don't see this they might decide to lease to someone else and make a little money for themselves.
It's not free if he improves their proprty, cousin or not. I spent a little time fencing some property off a cousin owned to keep heifers and watched him sale it a year later. Don't take anything for granted. it was his to sale and I should have covered my investment with a contract. He got in a bind and at the time I couldn't afford to buy it. One of those things.

My wording could have been different I guess. I want the 5 yr lease for peace of mind. I want to get it on paper and correct. Friends are easier to trust than family in this case. I already paid/put up our border fence between us that is 1 mile long, did that 5 yrs ago and they were to pay half of materials-no labor just materials. That never happened. They dont have water available so that limits their leasing potential, I know they have been trying to lease it out. My well is close enough I can pipe water over easy enough. They did the same thing on fence to the neighbor on the other side as they did me. Only fence I do have to mess with are the 2 end fences