Cattle hauling

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I'm exploring hauling cattle locally from sale barns. Anyone on here do it? With diesel prices I can't see doing it for less than $5 a mile as most hauls would be 75 miles or less.

I'm getting out of the hauling business due to my job. I'm paying 150.00 for 20ft either full or 1 cow. Most trips are 20 miles.

My local haulers seem to just have a minimum price. Per mile only seems to factor over maybe 50 miles or so. Just my speculation. I just pay the bill. I don't ask for a breakdown.

The only time I used a 32 ft trailer was 2019 and he charged $175 for 35 miles.

I have a 7.5x24' trailer. It's fifty miles to the sale barn. I have a list of people I call when ever I have a mrkt cow to sell. If I can get several sellers on the same load I make money and they feel like it's reasonable.

A couple years ago they changed my regular job schedule and I tossed around the idea of doing this. The thought of helping folks load cows and wait for that process told me that maybe this wasn't for me. Good luck to you! I think there's money in it if you work hard, but I'm fed up with people.

A couple years ago they changed my regular job schedule and I tossed around the idea of doing this. The thought of helping folks load cows and wait for that process told me that maybe this wasn't for me. Good luck to you! I think there's money in it if you work hard, but I'm fed up with people.
Your post made me laugh out loud!

Yes only the loaded miles are charged for.
I used Eastern TN because that's where the larger markets in this area are.
That pretty cheap. Dont think I could beat that.

Our AB will send a trailer dirt cheap. Best I can figure they maybe split it 50/50 or some thing. Its like a dollar a mile or some thing. Most recent bill I have see was a couple months ago for 2, 32s... it was like $60. Place was 30-ish miles from barn. I can't put fuel in for that.

That pretty cheap. Dont think I could beat that.

Our AB will send a trailer dirt cheap. Best I can figure they maybe split it 50/50 or some thing. Its like a dollar a mile or some thing. Most recent bill I have see was a couple months ago for 2, 32s... it was like $60. Place was 30-ish miles from barn. I can't put fuel in for that.
If your getting them hauled for that you better treat them good.

Interesting thread.....pondering if I was going to haul cattle at the sale barn with just a small 6x16...nominally 2 to 4 bigger cows or 6 small ones....what would I charge? I would do a run for $100. minimum flat fee good for 1 to 30 miles max. anything over 30 miles would be $3. per mile extra. That said...who in here thinks that's a good rate? Would you use my small scale service?
$2./ mile won't pay for my equipment wear and tear...it has to be $3.

Interesting thread.....pondering if I was going to haul cattle at the sale barn with just a small 6x16...nominally 2 to 4 bigger cows or 6 small ones....what would I charge? I would do a run for $100. minimum flat fee good for 1 to 30 miles max. anything over 30 miles would be $3. per mile extra. That said...who in here thinks that's a good rate? Would you use my small scale service?
$2./ mile won't pay for my equipment wear and tear...it has to be $3.
So your figuring 2.00+ on your equipment

30- minutes there at best. 30- minutes back. 10 minutes to load at sale . ? To unload. How many Jackpots are you going to get lead into by people without a trailer.... just sayin. Then there's that pesky commercial insurance no one wants to talk about. A part-time job at Sonic might be more profitable.

Last edited:

Latest posts