Cattle Handling Facilities Poll

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

In Mississippi one of the areas that seem to hold <br>cattlemen back or down is inadequate livestock <br>handling facilities! Many times the last thing we wish<br>to invest in are these facilities! The lack of <br>facilities hinders our health programs and marketing<br>programs at the very least. Other items may go undone<br>or underdone as well.<p>So lets have an informal survey! Since you have access<br>to a computer, please answer the following:<p>Number of cows and calves?<p>Do you have a large catch pen or lot?<p>Do you have a crowding pen that can withstand heavy use?<p>Do you have a working alley?<p>Head gate only?<p>Squeeze chute and head gate?<p>Scales?<p>Would you rate your set up as good, bad or needs <br>improvement?<p>Is your set up better than or worse than your cattlemen<br>friend's set up?<p>Can you catchem when you wantem?<p>Can you catchem by yourself or do you have to have a <br>family reunion to work cattle?<p>Thanks for you answer!<p>Phil in Ms.<p>About 25 cows with 20 calves and one bull<p>One acre lot that funnels down into a heavy duty <br>crowding pen behind the barn! This pen will hold <br>everything with a little room to spare!<p>Working alley with a 90% turn to head gate! This needs<br>work!<p>Head gate only! For-most brand about 25 years old!<p>No squeeze but would love one!<p>No scales!<p>Better than what many people have but needs improvement<br>to work a herd with just two people!<p>It is better in that several of my friends have limited <br>lots so catching for any reason is a big job!<p>I believe I can catch the herd in 15 minutes and sort <br>to one or two animals in another 15 to 30 minutes with <br>no help!<p>It is just my opinion, but I believe if you have cattle<br>you should have a heavy duty catch pen with a working <br>alley and head gate at the least! Most people think <br>vets charge too much to come to a farm! I have found <br>with better than average facilities the fees can be less<br>and if they know you have a decent place to work cattle<br>they are quicker to respond to your call! After all <br>what would you do if two clients called at the same <br>time and you know that one will require hours just to <br>catch and hold, but the other will have the cattle up <br>when you arrive and will have a good place to catch and<br>holdem!<p>Thanks!<p><p>
<br>
<br><hr size=7 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

(User Above)":i4fmoowg said:
: Phil I'm In MS too! <p>In Mississippi one of the areas that seem to hold <br>: cattlemen back or down is inadequate livestock <br>: handling facilities! Many times the last thing we wish<br>: to invest in are these facilities! The lack of <br>: facilities hinders our health programs and marketing<br>: programs at the very least. Other items may go undone<br>: or underdone as well.<p>: So lets have an informal survey! Since you have access<br>: to a computer, please answer the following:<p>: Number of cows and calves? 150 cows, 80 calves now already sold some.<p>: Do you have a large catch pen or lot? yes, made from oil field pipe.<p>: Do you have a crowding pen that can withstand heavy use? yes, and its under the barn with lights.<p>: Do you have a working alley? yes<p>: Head gate only? No<p>: Squeeze chute and head gate? Yes<p>: Scales? Yes<p>: Would you rate your set up as good, bad or needs <br>: improvement? Good<p>: Is your set up better than or worse than your cattlemen<br>: friend's set up? Better<p>: Can you catchem when you wantem? Yes<p>: Can you catchem by yourself or do you have to have a <br>: family reunion to work cattle? By myself if I need to, most of the time my dad helps me.<p>: Thanks for you answer!<p>: Phil in Ms.<p>: About 25 cows with 20 calves and one bull<p>: One acre lot that funnels down into a heavy duty <br>: crowding pen behind the barn! This pen will hold <br>: everything with a little room to spare!<p>: Working alley with a 90% turn to head gate! This needs<br>: work!<p>: Head gate only! For-most brand about 25 years old!<p>: No squeeze but would love one!<p>: No scales!<p>: Better than what many people have but needs improvement<br>: to work a herd with just two people!<p>: It is better in that several of my friends have limited <br>: lots so catching for any reason is a big job!<p>: I believe I can catch the herd in 15 minutes and sort <br>: to one or two animals in another 15 to 30 minutes with <br>: no help!<p>: It is just my opinion, but I believe if you have cattle<br>: you should have a heavy duty catch pen with a working <br>: alley and head gate at the least! Most people think <br>: vets charge too much to come to a farm! I have found <br>: with better than average facilities the fees can be less<br>: and if they know you have a decent place to work cattle<br>: they are quicker to respond to your call! After all <br>: what would you do if two clients called at the same <br>: time and you know that one will require hours just to <br>: catch and hold, but the other will have the cattle up <br>: when you arrive and will have a good place to catch and<br>: holdem!<p>: Thanks!<p>
<br>

<p>: : So lets have an informal survey! Since you have access<br>: : to a computer, please answer the following:<p>: : Number of cows and calves? 32 cows with calves at foot<p>: : Do you have a large catch pen or lot? A large lot on the back of the barn<p>: : Do you have a crowding pen that can withstand heavy use? yes<p>: : Do you have a working alley? NO, don't need one with our set-up... We have locking feed fronts<p>: : Head gate only? Locking feed fronts<p>: : Squeeze chute and head gate?No<p>: : Scales? Yes<p>: : Would you rate your set up as good, bad or needs <br>: : improvement? Good<p>: : Is your set up better than or worse than your cattlemen<br>: : friend's set up? Much better<p>: : Can you catchem when you wantem? Yep!<p>: : Can you catchem by yourself or do you have to have a <br>: : family reunion to work cattle? I work them by myself all the time<p> The best investment we ever made was the self-locking feed fronts. When I need to work the cattle, they come into the barn which they do regularly anyway. Stick their heads through to eat and with the flick of two fingers they are locked in. I then un-lock the ones I don't need. I can have 1 cow sorted out of the herd in less then 10 minutes. It's true about the vet too!Mine doesn't charge me professional time anymore since the re-do on the barn. He knows he's in and out here. Same goes for the A.I. technician. He loves coming here now as well. He has sent a few guys arouind to see the set-up as well.<br>Janet<br>in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada<p>
<br>

[email protected]

<p>: Number of cows and calves? <br> 125 cow/calf and anywhere from 50 - 200 on feed at any given time.<p>: Do you have a large catch pen or lot?<br> Several corrals that serve multi purpose... wintering lots and/or catch holding pens.<p>: Do you have a crowding pen that can withstand heavy use? <br> 8' railroad ties sunk 3 feet with roadside guard rails bolted to them. Steel pipe inside working barn.<p>: Do you have a working alley?<br> A couple of them for different jobs.<p>: Head gate only? <br> In some locations, full chutes in main place.<p>: Squeeze chute and head gate?<br> Inside a barn we have both with the option to use either one... all steel and bolted to concrete.<p>: Scales?<br> Yes older beam type will upgrade in future.<p>: Would you rate your set up as good, bad or needs improvement? <br> Always improving the flow of cattle.... its always ready though.<p>: Is your set up better than or worse than your cattlemen friend's set up?<br> Much better than most<p>: Can you catchem when you wantem? <br> If they are in a pasture close by... many pastures are miles from home.<p>: Can you catchem by yourself or do you have to have a family reunion to work cattle?<br> 1 person for small jobs 2 for major sorting and working.<p>Jason Trowbridge<br>Southern Angus Farms<br>Alberta Canada
<br>

[email protected]

Sorry about caps. <p>: Number of cows and calves? 60 PAIRS PLUS YEARLING HEIFERS<p>: Do you have a large catch pen or lot? 2 FARMS YES, RENTAL PASTURE NO<p>: Do you have a crowding pen that can withstand heavy use? 2 farms yes, rental no<p>: Do you have a working alley? NOT A GOOD ONE<p>: Head gate only? 1 FARM<p>: Squeeze chute and head gate? 1 FARM<p>: Scales? NO<p>: Would you rate your set up as good, bad or needs <br>: improvement? NEEDS INPROVEMENT<p>: Is your set up better than or worse than your cattlemen<br>: friend's set up? BETTER THAN MOST IN AREA<p>: Can you catchem when you wantem? 2 FARMS YES, RENTAL NO<p>: Can you catchem by yourself or do you have to have a <br>: family reunion to work cattle? SINGLE ANIMALS YES, WHEN WORKING WHOLE HERD, HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. <p><br>: <br>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":3wd4e6z2 said:
: In Mississippi one of the areas that seem to hold <br>: cattlemen back or down is inadequate livestock <br>: handling facilities! Many times the last thing we wish<br>: to invest in are these facilities! The lack of <br>: facilities hinders our health programs and marketing<br>: programs at the very least. Other items may go undone<br>: or underdone as well.<p>: So lets have an informal survey! Since you have access<br>: to a computer, please answer the following:<p>: Number of cows and calves?135 cows 53 calves with bulls and steers on feed<p>: Do you have a large catch pen or lot?one large lot leading into sorting pen <p>: Do you have a crowding pen that can withstand heavy use?large lot made of guardrail,sorting pens of oak 6*6 post and 5/4 lumber with heavy duty gates <p>: Do you have a working alley?made from heavy pipe <p>: Head gate only? no<p>: Squeeze chute and head gate?Formost squeeze with tall headgate and palp cage inside barn with lights<p>: Scales?true test under chute<p>: Would you rate your set up as good, bad or needs <br>: improvement?pretty good needs improving on calf working<p>: Is your set up better than or worse than your cattlemen<br>: friend's set up?better than 90% this is from other cattlemen and vets<p>: Can you catchem when you wantem?we can catch and work all cattle in one day,wean calves in less than 1 hour <p>: Can you catchem by yourself or do you have to have a <br>: family reunion to work cattle?on less than 50 head 1 to 2 people,working all 1 on headgate,one filling tagers,ect and 2 filling the chute<p>: Thanks for you answer!<p>: Phil in Ms.<p>: About 25 cows with 20 calves and one bull<p>: One acre lot that funnels down into a heavy duty <br>: crowding pen behind the barn! This pen will hold <br>: everything with a little room to spare!<p>: Working alley with a 90% turn to head gate! This needs<br>: work!<p>: Head gate only! For-most brand about 25 years old!<p>: No squeeze but would love one!<p>: No scales!<p>: Better than what many people have but needs improvement<br>: to work a herd with just two people!<p>: It is better in that several of my friends have limited <br>: lots so catching for any reason is a big job!<p>: I believe I can catch the herd in 15 minutes and sort <br>: to one or two animals in another 15 to 30 minutes with <br>: no help!<p>: It is just my opinion, but I believe if you have cattle<br>: you should have a heavy duty catch pen with a working <br>: alley and head gate at the least! Most people think <br>: vets charge too much to come to a farm! I have found <br>: with better than average facilities the fees can be less<br>: and if they know you have a decent place to work cattle<br>: they are quicker to respond to your call! After all <br>: what would you do if two clients called at the same <br>: time and you know that one will require hours just to <br>: catch and hold, but the other will have the cattle up <br>: when you arrive and will have a good place to catch and<br>: holdem!<p>: Thanks!<p>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":2a02rmsh said:
: In Mississippi one of the areas that seem to hold <br>: cattlemen back or down is inadequate livestock <br>: handling facilities! Many times the last thing we wish<br>: to invest in are these facilities! The lack of <br>: facilities hinders our health programs and marketing<br>: programs at the very least. Other items may go undone<br>: or underdone as well.<p>: So lets have an informal survey! Since you have access<br>: to a computer, please answer the following:<p>: Number of cows and calves? 13 cow/calf pairs & bull<p>: Do you have a large catch pen or lot? Yes, does double duty as a bull pen. 8" driven round post with cattle panels<p>: Do you have a crowding pen that can withstand heavy use? Permantly attached corral panels inside barn.<p>: Do you have a working alley? Corral panel<p>: Head gate only? No<p>: Squeeze chute and head gate? Yes, with palp cage.<p>: Scales? Yes, inside barn.<p>: Would you rate your set up as good, bad or needs <br>: improvement? Good, but could use some improvement.<p>: Is your set up better than or worse than your cattlemen<br>: friend's set up? Better than most, but not as good as some.<p>: Can you catchem when you wantem? I call them & they come running.<p>: Can you catchem by yourself or do you have to have a <br>: family reunion to work cattle? I have them confined when the vet gets here. I use the University of Missouri Vet Teaching Hospital, so can always expect at least 2-4 students to be with the vet, so always have plenty of help.<p>: Thanks for you answer!<p>: Phil in Ms.<p>: About 25 cows with 20 calves and one bull<p>: One acre lot that funnels down into a heavy duty <br>: crowding pen behind the barn! This pen will hold <br>: everything with a little room to spare!<p>: Working alley with a 90% turn to head gate! This needs<br>: work!<p>: Head gate only! For-most brand about 25 years old!<p>: No squeeze but would love one!<p>: No scales!<p>: Better than what many people have but needs improvement<br>: to work a herd with just two people!<p>: It is better in that several of my friends have limited <br>: lots so catching for any reason is a big job!<p>: I believe I can catch the herd in 15 minutes and sort <br>: to one or two animals in another 15 to 30 minutes with <br>: no help!<p>: It is just my opinion, but I believe if you have cattle<br>: you should have a heavy duty catch pen with a working <br>: alley and head gate at the least! Most people think <br>: vets charge too much to come to a farm! I have found <br>: with better than average facilities the fees can be less<br>: and if they know you have a decent place to work cattle<br>: they are quicker to respond to your call! After all <br>: what would you do if two clients called at the same <br>: time and you know that one will require hours just to <br>: catch and hold, but the other will have the cattle up <br>: when you arrive and will have a good place to catch and<br>: holdem!<p>: Thanks!<p>
<br>
<ul><li><a href="http://members.xoom.com/Star_K/">Star K Ranch Murray Greys</a></ul>

[email protected]

Phil, I don't think your observation is limited to Mississippi. I think it is the case everywhere.<p>: In Mississippi one of the areas that seem to hold <br>: cattlemen back or down is inadequate livestock <br>: handling facilities! Many times the last thing we wish<br>: to invest in are these facilities! The lack of <br>: facilities hinders our health programs and marketing<br>: programs at the very least. Other items may go undone<br>: or underdone as well.<p>: So lets have an informal survey! Since you have access<br>: to a computer, please answer the following:<p>: Number of cows and calves?<br>I usually have about 40 pair plus yearling heifers and bulls.<p>: Do you have a large catch pen or lot?<br>I have yards by my barn made out of 6 wire hi-tensil fence. These lots also double as yards for my yearling heifers and bulls for sale.<br>I also portable panels to construct a catch pen in the pasture.<p>: Do you have a crowding pen that can withstand heavy use?<br>I have a portable crowding tub for use in the pasture and a built in crowding tub in the barn.<p>: Do you have a working alley?<br>I have 1 portable squeeze alley for my pasture and I go directly into the chute from the crowding tub in the barn.<p>: Head gate only?<br>No.<br> <br>: Squeeze chute and head gate?<br>Yes, I have a squeeze chute with palp cage in the barn and a portable squeeze chute with palp cage for use in the pasture.<p>: Scales?<br>Yes, I have electronic scales mounted under both chutes.<p>: Would you rate your set up as good, bad or needs <br>: improvement?<br>Good<p>: Is your set up better than or worse than your cattlemen<br>: friend's set up?<br>Much better, most have little or nothing in this area.<p>: Can you catchem when you wantem?<br>Yes.<p>: Can you catchem by yourself or do you have to have a <br>: family reunion to work cattle?<br>I am usually alone, except if we are working the entire herd, then it is usually my wife, a son, and myself.<p>I would also point out that the portable equipment I have is also rented out to other cattle producers in the area.<p>: Thanks for you answer!<p>: Phil in Ms.<p>: About 25 cows with 20 calves and one bull<p>: One acre lot that funnels down into a heavy duty <br>: crowding pen behind the barn! This pen will hold <br>: everything with a little room to spare!<p>: Working alley with a 90% turn to head gate! This needs<br>: work!<p>: Head gate only! For-most brand about 25 years old!<p>: No squeeze but would love one!<p>: No scales!<p>: Better than what many people have but needs improvement<br>: to work a herd with just two people!<p>: It is better in that several of my friends have limited <br>: lots so catching for any reason is a big job!<p>: I believe I can catch the herd in 15 minutes and sort <br>: to one or two animals in another 15 to 30 minutes with <br>: no help!<p>: It is just my opinion, but I believe if you have cattle<br>: you should have a heavy duty catch pen with a working <br>: alley and head gate at the least! Most people think <br>: vets charge too much to come to a farm! I have found <br>: with better than average facilities the fees can be less<br>: and if they know you have a decent place to work cattle<br>: they are quicker to respond to your call! After all <br>: what would you do if two clients called at the same <br>: time and you know that one will require hours just to <br>: catch and hold, but the other will have the cattle up <br>: when you arrive and will have a good place to catch and<br>: holdem!<p>: Thanks!<p>
<br>
<ul><li><a href="http://www.isolated-acres.com">Isolated Acres</a></ul>

[email protected]

(User Above)":1e4l0wmn said:
: Number of cows and calves? <br>140 pairs.<p>: Do you have a large catch pen or lot? <br> We have quite a few lots at the barn where we work cattle. In the summer when they are out to grass in several pastures, we use portable corrals to catch them. Then we load them on a trailer and haul them to the barn to treat them.<p>: Do you have a crowding pen that can withstand heavy use? <br>We have sorting pens inside the barn that are made out of 2x12 planks and old power poles.<p>: Do you have a working alley?<br>Yes, inside the barn, made from same materials as pens, with a concrete floor in the alley.<p>: Head gate only?<br>No.<p>: Squeeze chute and head gate?<br>Yes, bolted to concrete pad.<p>: Scales?<br>Yes, in alley.<p>: Would you rate your set up as good, bad or needs <br>: improvement?<br>Good but would like to get a better headgate and improve outside pens.<p>: Is your set up better than or worse than your cattlemen<br>: friend's set up?<br>Better than most.<p>: Can you catchem when you wantem?<br>Can usually call them in with a bucket of range cubes or corn.<p>: Can you catchem by yourself or do you have to have a <br>: family reunion to work cattle?<br>Two of us do all the work.<p>I agree with you about the vet. He loves coming to our place because we have the cattle caught and he can do all his work inside. Takes him less time which means lower cost for us. Also, good facilities means less chance of injury to us or cattle.<p>
<br>

(User Above)":1j7r54oo said:
: In Mississippi one of the areas that seem to hold <br>: cattlemen back or down is inadequate livestock <br>: handling facilities! Many times the last thing we wish<br>: to invest in are these facilities! The lack of <p><br>: Number of cows and calves?<br> 200 pairs<br>: Do you have a large catch pen or lot?<br>corral and ally,Grazing assoiation use it when we come of forest,So hold 600 pairs<br>: Do you have a crowding pen that can withstand heavy use?<br> yes,rail roadties and poles<br>: Do you have a working alley?<br>light poles and 2x12,one side adjustable,poles go up and is coverd by a roof,plus a no back at end of alley<br>: Head gate only?<p>: Squeeze chute and head gate?<br>yes and a calf table<br>: Scales?<br>wish<br>: Would you rate your set up as good, bad or needs Works good, can work cows all by ones self<br>: improvement?<p>: Is your set up better than or worse than your cattlemen<br>: friend's set up?<br>about ave with everybody else<br>: Can you catchem when you wantem?<br>yes<br>: Can you catchem by yourself or do you have to have a <br>: family reunion to work cattle?<br>yes but family helps<br>
<br>

[email protected]

Phil--I don't think it's just Mississippi, definitely<br>a problem here in Maryland. A lot of guys use two gates<br>and a rope!<p>: Number of cows and calves? 100 cows, 97 calves, 26 heifers<p>: Do you have a large catch pen or lot? Yes, capable of 200 head<p>: Do you have a crowding pen that can withstand heavy use?<br>Wide alley way is board, treated 2 by 6's with post on 4 foot<br>centers, funnels to a barrel. <p><br>: Do you have a working alley? after barrel there is steel alley,<br>3 sections, with can't backs. <p>: Head gate only?<p>: Squeeze chute and head gate? Yep and palpatation cage.<p>: Scales? Yep, Trutest, set up just after the barrel, that way<br>one person can be worming, or doing rate of gain calculations<br>before the cattle are at the head chute. That way vet isn't standing<br>there waiting while I decide whether they become a<br>steer or not, or in the case of bulls whether they are<br>even semen tested of not.<p>: Would you rate your set up as good, bad or needs <br>: improvement? Could use some improvement--particular<br>some of the gates could be heavier. Could use a sorting<br>area immediately after the head gate, instead of two<br>choices that I have now, out and loading chute to the<br>trailer.<p>: Is your set up better than or worse than your cattlemen<br>: friend's set up? Definitely better than most.<p>: Can you catchem when you wantem? Yep<p>: Can you catchem by yourself or do you have to have a <br>: family reunion to work cattle? Well I can get them all<br>the way into the chute by myself but especially with<br>the cows that have been here a while I need one other<br>person to make them put their head in the head gate.<p>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":1isc1rtv said:
: In Mississippi one of the areas that seem to hold <br>: cattlemen back or down is inadequate livestock <br>: handling facilities! Many times the last thing we wish<br>: to invest in are these facilities! The lack of <br>: facilities hinders our health programs and marketing<br>: programs at the very least. Other items may go undone<br>: or underdone as well.<p>: So lets have an informal survey! Since you have access<br>: to a computer, please answer the following:<p>: Number of cows and calves?<p>: Do you have a large catch pen or lot?<p>: Do you have a crowding pen that can withstand heavy use?<p>: Do you have a working alley?<p>: Head gate only?<p>: Squeeze chute and head gate?<p>: Scales?<p>: Would you rate your set up as good, bad or needs <br>: improvement?<p>: Is your set up better than or worse than your cattlemen<br>: friend's set up?<p>: Can you catchem when you wantem?<p>: Can you catchem by yourself or do you have to have a <br>: family reunion to work cattle?<p>: Thanks for you answer!<p>: Phil in Ms.<p>: About 25 cows with 20 calves and one bull<p>: One acre lot that funnels down into a heavy duty <br>: crowding pen behind the barn! This pen will hold <br>: everything with a little room to spare!<p>: Working alley with a 90% turn to head gate! This needs<br>: work!<p>: Head gate only! For-most brand about 25 years old!<p>: No squeeze but would love one!<p>: No scales!<p>: Better than what many people have but needs improvement<br>: to work a herd with just two people!<p>: It is better in that several of my friends have limited <br>: lots so catching for any reason is a big job!<p>: I believe I can catch the herd in 15 minutes and sort <br>: to one or two animals in another 15 to 30 minutes with <br>: no help!<p>: It is just my opinion, but I believe if you have cattle<br>: you should have a heavy duty catch pen with a working <br>: alley and head gate at the least! Most people think <br>: vets charge too much to come to a farm! I have found <br>: with better than average facilities the fees can be less<br>: and if they know you have a decent place to work cattle<br>: they are quicker to respond to your call! After all <br>: what would you do if two clients called at the same <br>: time and you know that one will require hours just to <br>: catch and hold, but the other will have the cattle up <br>: when you arrive and will have a good place to catch and<br>: holdem!<p>: Thanks!<p>Phil in MS,<p>I think this is a good poll you are conducting. I am going to vet school and plan on working on large animals. In KY where I'm from and have worked for a vet for 5 years now, good cattle handling facilities are few and far between. I noticed someone above mentioned the fact that some seem to think that vets charge quite a-bit and in some regiions around the country that is correct. The big point is as mentioned earlier, it sure is alot eaiser to get motivated to work cattle for a client that has a good facility than it does to work for a client that my end-ya up on disability for a while and that is also taken into consideration when the bill is made out as well. I'd be glad to take part in you poll. All of this information is baised on the farm where I grew up and not the one here at the school.<p>Number of cows and calves?<br>125 feeders year around<p>Do you have a large catch pen or lot?<br>Yes, 150hd capacity constructed of heavy galvanized steel(Rhon System)<p>Do you have a crowding pen that can withstand heavy use?<br>Yes, it gets used very heavily<p>Do you have a working alley?<br>Only one, I wish we had at leat one more but would love 2.<p><br>Head gate only?<br>NO, head gate, Alley and squeez.<p>Squeeze chute and head gate? Yes<p>Scales? <br>Yes the scales are one of the most important parts of our operation.<p>Would you rate your set up as good, bad or needs <br>improvement?<br>Good but could always use improvement<p><br>Is your set up better than or worse than your cattlemen<br>For the most part better although a few have came out to look at our system so they could install thir own.<p>friend's set up?<br>Yes<p><br>Can you catchem when you wantem? <br>Most of time, espically calves that have been around for a week or so.<p><br>Can you catchem by yourself or do you have to have a <br>family reunion to work cattle?<br>Most of time its a one man operation once they figure out what a feed bucket is.<p><br>Glad to take part in this.<p>Andy in KY<p><br>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":bxbqudmr said:
: In Mississippi one of the areas that seem to hold <br>: cattlemen back or down is inadequate livestock <br>: handling facilities! Many times the last thing we wish<br>: to invest in are these facilities! The lack of <br>: facilities hinders our health programs and marketing<br>: programs at the very least. Other items may go undone<br>: or underdone as well.<p>: So lets have an informal survey! Since you have access<br>: to a computer, please answer the following:<p>: Number of cows and calves? 32 cows. 21 calves. 2 bulls<p>: Do you have a large catch pen or lot? yes<p>: Do you have a crowding pen that can withstand heavy use? Have a crowding tub after last sorting pen. Crowding tub is a semi circle with a gate that allows you to push the cattle with the gate from behind. The crowding tub can be set to go either to the working chute or a load out chute.<p>: Do you have a working alley? yes<p>: Head gate only? yes, at this point. For A.I. we attach our A.I. box onto chute end after headgate.<p>: Squeeze chute and head gate? squeeze chute w/head gate is a planned purchase, hopefully in the next 1-2 years<p>: Scales? yes. Tru-test digital. We made the platform. At this point we move the scale platform in and out of barn as needed.<p>: Would you rate your set up as good, bad or needs <br>: improvement? good, but needs improvement --facilities are all outside and it seems like at least once a year we are working in the rain.<p>: Is your set up better than or worse than your cattlemen<br>: friend's set up? Much better than most<p>: Can you catchem when you wantem? Yes. If they don't come into the corral we can usually lure them into the lot with their mineral feeder. We have an alley built from this lot to the corral.<p>: Can you catchem by yourself or do you have to have a <br>: family reunion to work cattle? Can do by self and have done so, but system usually works best with 2 people (1 sorter/pusher, 1 to vaccinate & operate head gate, and 3rd optional person to operate "bar" in working chute to keep animal from backing up before in head gate (or after) 3rd person (usually me)also keeps records.) <p>Been meaning to reply for some time. Our semi-cirle tub has been great! Another plus with our facilities has been our load-out chutes. Most everyone in our area has a narrow load-out (for 1 cow) we made ours the width of our trailer (6'-7') and it has been a god-send. The animals will only occassionally hesitate, but often do it less when you can load 2-3-4 at a time. We want/need a squeeze chute - they seem to be the best (and safer) way to work animals (even calm ones). Down the road we also considered putting in locking feeding staunchens at the bunks - especially for A.I. or a quick fly spray. All takes time & money. First on our list is getting the working chute at least with an overhead covering.<p>: Thanks for you answer!<p>: Phil in Ms.<p>: About 25 cows with 20 calves and one bull<p>: One acre lot that funnels down into a heavy duty <br>: crowding pen behind the barn! This pen will hold <br>: everything with a little room to spare!<p>: Working alley with a 90% turn to head gate! This needs<br>: work!<p>: Head gate only! For-most brand about 25 years old!<p>: No squeeze but would love one!<p>: No scales!<p>: Better than what many people have but needs improvement<br>: to work a herd with just two people!<p>: It is better in that several of my friends have limited <br>: lots so catching for any reason is a big job!<p>: I believe I can catch the herd in 15 minutes and sort <br>: to one or two animals in another 15 to 30 minutes with <br>: no help!<p>: It is just my opinion, but I believe if you have cattle<br>: you should have a heavy duty catch pen with a working <br>: alley and head gate at the least! Most people think <br>: vets charge too much to come to a farm! I have found <br>: with better than average facilities the fees can be less<br>: and if they know you have a decent place to work cattle<br>: they are quicker to respond to your call! After all <br>: what would you do if two clients called at the same <br>: time and you know that one will require hours just to <br>: catch and hold, but the other will have the cattle up <br>: when you arrive and will have a good place to catch and<br>: holdem!<p>: Thanks!<p>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":201wpupv said:
: In Mississippi one of the areas that seem to hold <br>: cattlemen back or down is inadequate livestock <br>: handling facilities! Many times the last thing we wish<br>: to invest in are these facilities! The lack of <br>: facilities hinders our health programs and marketing<br>: programs at the very least. Other items may go undone<br>: or underdone as well.<p>: So lets have an informal survey! Since you have access<br>: to a computer, please answer the following:<p>: Number of cows and calves? 15 cows, 9calves<p>: Do you have a large catch pen or lot? 1 acer connects to barn,work chute connects to barn.<br>barn will hold 35 head with comfort.<p>: Do you have a crowding pen that can withstand heavy use? yes<p>: Do you have a working alley? yes, 40' inside,<br>25' outside.<p>: Head gate only? yes<p>: Squeeze chute and head gate? no<p>: Scales? no,but tring to find some<p>: Would you rate your set up as good, bad or needs <br>: improvement? good,but changing as i can afford<p>: Is your set up better than or worse than your cattlemen<br>: friend's set up? average for my area<p>: Can you catchem when you wantem? yes<p>: Can you catchem by yourself or do you have to have a <br>: family reunion to work cattle? all my cattle are<br>big pets,only use head gate to pull calves,casterate,or other big jobs.<p>: Thanks for you answer!<p>: Phil in Ms.<p>: About 25 cows with 20 calves and one bull<p>: One acre lot that funnels down into a heavy duty <br>: crowding pen behind the barn! This pen will hold <br>: everything with a little room to spare!<p>: Working alley with a 90% turn to head gate! This needs<br>: work!<p>: Head gate only! For-most brand about 25 years old!<p>: No squeeze but would love one!<p>: No scales!<p>: Better than what many people have but needs improvement<br>: to work a herd with just two people!<p>: It is better in that several of my friends have limited <br>: lots so catching for any reason is a big job!<p>: I believe I can catch the herd in 15 minutes and sort <br>: to one or two animals in another 15 to 30 minutes with <br>: no help!<p>: It is just my opinion, but I believe if you have cattle<br>: you should have a heavy duty catch pen with a working <br>: alley and head gate at the least! Most people think <br>: vets charge too much to come to a farm! I have found <br>: with better than average facilities the fees can be less<br>: and if they know you have a decent place to work cattle<br>: they are quicker to respond to your call! After all <br>: what would you do if two clients called at the same <br>: time and you know that one will require hours just to <br>: catch and hold, but the other will have the cattle up <br>: when you arrive and will have a good place to catch and<br>: holdem!<p>: Thanks!<p>
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts