cattle guards

Help Support CattleToday:

MissouriExile":37ak2m94 said:
Link is no good............

Jon

Copy and paste it to the address bar.

It needs a space behind the question mark.

Good idea that cattleguard!

It is a good idea if you have to move it for rotational grazing or something like that. I would think that you don't want to stop your vehicle half way accross it seeing as it might start rising in the middle of your vehicle.

Brute 23":3t4x2gug said:
IF you are one of those people who have pleanty of time to keep up with high maintance cattle, then you probably won't mind a high maintance cattle guard. :lol:

I don't know about you but personally I have enough other high maintance items that I don't need to add another to the mix. ;-)

msscamp":1kiezqbr said:
COMAIR":1kiezqbr said:

No, but I can see where it could very easily cause a lot of problems with keeping cattle from crossing it.

No problems with it. I have a good friend that uses them.... he loves them. Maintnace free and the attle dont try to cross them. Im thinking of getting one myself. From all the things ive heard.... i would recomind them...

Cool idea, would like to see some prices as it might be cheaper to build something like that myself though. Also when the snow gets piled up underneath it may cause a problem.

Had experience with same type of cattle guard 40 years ago, on a ranch I worked on. The cattle would walk across it, tried painting every other pipe yellow and black per Boss, cattle still walked across, it's just too shallow with the slant to scare them.

Had experience with same type of cattle guard 40 years ago, on a ranch I worked on. The cattle would walk across it, tried painting every other pipe yellow and black per Boss, cattle still walked across, it's just too shallow with the slant to scare them.

Prolly one old girl taught the others and no matter what type of guard they would have been challenging it.

Looks like a good guard..but, expensive 4" angle Iron and inverted car/truck shock absorbers!!! :) ;-)

To reduce roughness, recessing it about 4" is indicated..IMHO.

A neighbor has one and likes it.

hgfarmer":1xnulmqy said:
msscamp":1xnulmqy said:
COMAIR":1xnulmqy said:

No, but I can see where it could very easily cause a lot of problems with keeping cattle from crossing it.

No problems with it. I have a good friend that uses them.... he loves them. Maintnace free and the attle dont try to cross them. Im thinking of getting one myself. From all the things ive heard.... i would recomind them...

We are not all so lucky as to have cattle that fit the usual 'dumb cow' profile, as your friend is. :lol: :lol:

COMAIR

the ol' timers around here used cattle guards. Worked well.

They have to be deep.

If it's deep enough, and also full of water, and also will deter YOU from walking over it, it will turn cows.

got a buddy that has some and he likes them and i have used them a little to and they are great I highly recomind them.
Sam

Here's a link to a discussion of a cattleguard that sounds like a pretty good idea to me and much cheaper.

Latest posts