cattle guard opinions

Help Support CattleToday:

Triple D":43rcso2d said:
Brute 23":43rcso2d said:
That is an odd design and I bet pretty pricey. Usually its just 3 or 4 (depending on length) 4" runners or I-beam laying vertical and 10-12... 2 3/8s or 2 7/8s pieces oilfield tubing laying horizontal across the other runners with around 3-4" of gap between each one..

Make sure what ever your height is on the cattle guard is the same as the debth of your cement runners. When the cattle guard sits in the runners you want it to be flush.

You think setting it on rail road ties would work as well as concrete runners?
Yes and no. Depends on the quality of the railroad ties.........but good used ones will last quite a while before they rot out to bad. Useage also comes into play. Just as a bride, it has to hold up to traffic count and load weights.

We've got some setting on crossties the railroad pulled 30 years ago. But they were practically new ties that were slightly damaged in a derailment. Oil companies regularly use 4 treated 8x8-16s in the bottom of the hole to set the cattleguards on.

We had an oil company drill a gas well that crossed our property, and when the well was dry they left a 12" thick limestone road and a couple of really heavy built pipe cattle guards. They originally set the cattle guards on three 12" by 12" by 16' treated beams. I moved one and only put the cattle guard on the ground. Result is that almost all of my calves will walk right across it (they step into the cracks and their hooves only go down about 8 or 10") The cows won't try to cross. I had to mount a gate - I know but it's only funny if it's not your calves getting out. I'll be lifting the cattle guard soon and putting the beams back.

Latest posts