Cattle Grazing

Help Support CattleToday:

RickB

Reaction score
I have a pasture (30 acs.) that is not being grazed and will not be grazed until Sept. Should I cut this pasture before grazing and let new growth be available for the cattle or just leave it alone? The pasture is a mix of bahia and bermuda (common). Thanks for any help. The grass is about 15" tall now. I can't get anyone to bale it at this time.

Welcome aboard Rick. There are a lot of Texans here, so if you feel at ease with posting a little more info about your physical location please do so; perhaps there's a chance that one of the Texans is close enough (or knows of someone) and could work out a deal with you regarding hay cutting.

If not cut for hay, a lot of folks like to "clip" their grass, especially bahia, when it gets old and tough to keep it vegetative and to improve the palatability for grazing.

if you cant get no 1 to bale it. id stockpile it for fall grazing. you breakwire it into small cells.an put a lick tank in there. the lick tank will make emm graze the pasture . it will also streach your hay supply. scott

RickB":3745rsgx said:
I have a pasture (30 acs.) that is not being grazed and will not be grazed until Sept. Should I cut this pasture before grazing and let new growth be available for the cattle or just leave it alone? The pasture is a mix of bahia and bermuda (common). Thanks for any help. The grass is about 15" tall now. I can't get anyone to bale it at this time.

Sounds like my pasture, Bahia gets tough and cows don't like to eat it for that reason. You need to graze bahia hard to keep it in a vegatative state, or mow. It would make you some great hay, now as far as getting some one to bale it is a different story, you stated it was pasture. Lot of difference in a hay field and a pasture, I wouldn't put my equipment at risk on an unfamilar field.

bigbull338":kayebsfy said:
if you cant get no 1 to bale it. id stockpile it for fall grazing. you breakwire it into small cells.an put a lick tank in there. the lick tank will make emm graze the pasture . it will also streach your hay supply. scott

Hi Scott, new term here and I was wondering if you could explain it. What is a 'lick tank' and how does it make cattle graze the pasture? Thanks!

hi its a syrup tank.if you feed it free choice to your cows with stock piled grass. itll put a fire in their belly and make emm eat roughage. scott

If you mow it, make sure you will get enough rain in your area in August to get some more growth. Hate to see you just mow it off, then get no precip and not wind up with anything afterwards. That's why haying would be a good opition, the grass that is there will go to use.

dph":180ru2yh said:
If you mow it, make sure you will get enough rain in your area in August to get some more growth. Hate to see you just mow it off, then get no precip and not wind up with anything afterwards. That's why haying would be a good opition, the grass that is there will go to use.

Growing season in East Texas runs till late October or November, not uncommon to bale here in October.

I was always told that (in this area) if you cut hay after the 15th of September, you are cutting next year's crop.