How would you grade this animal?

1-Prime
2-Choice
3-Select
4-Standard
5-No Roll

401.jpg
[/img]

With an ultrasound machine. Honesty I'd say he would marble well but not muscled like I'd expect a white to be muscled. Choice. Y3.8 1190#

Maybe if he had a little more "black" mud on him a 2 but I'll say 2 anyways. ;-)

Without ultrasound it would be a crapshoot as long as he has his hide on. But he wouldn;t make CAB

dun

I'm not trying to be a smart a-- but this calf is not finished by any stretch so it is impossible to tell what he will grade.

Angus Guy":1mmc7vmy said:
I'm not trying to be a smart a-- but this calf is not finished by any stretch so it is impossible to tell what he will grade.
We're guessing but I think he is . Look at his brisket. I don't think he has alot of external fat but he looks like his muscle texture is fine and he looks done to me. I'm curious to here the results.

ollie'
I can be wrong but I don't think he's done. Your right about looking at his brisket I just don't think it is full enough yet. My guess is look at him in 30 days.

Since the first picture was not a very good picture, here is a pic of the whole set. Thet are all the same crossbreed and same percentages of those respective breeds.

group1.jpg
[/img]

A lot of those calves in the group pic will go choice easy, the pictured calf has a way to go. I would put him in low select or standard. I would probably feed him at least 30 more days.

I have no clue why we would ultrasound. If eyeballing was so easy who even thought of such a waste of time such as ultrasound.

You can eyeball on whether or not they are finished but certainly not for their carcass grade.

They look like they are about 850 calves, let alone grading.

The first calf pictured graded Prime. The 17 sold at that time graded 88% Prime (15 of 17) and the other two were average and high Choice. They were 47% Yield grade # 1, 47% yield grade #2 while one steer was a Yield Grade 3. Backfat averaged only .30 inch.

All you guys are too sharp. You knew it was a trick question.

Mike do you know how many days on feed? In weights , out weights and feed conversion?

MikeC.... I have a question.... Your info says Alabama, but there is snow on the ground and the winter coats on the cattle. Were these your animals? Or, someone you know? Curiousity is all! Thanks!

BTW.... WONDERFUL stats!

Michele

mitchwi":30nhxisw said:
MikeC.... I have a question.... Your info says Alabama, but there is snow on the ground and the winter coats on the cattle. Were these your animals? Or, someone you know? Curiousity is all! Thanks!

BTW.... WONDERFUL stats!

Michele

This was from a pen of calves in Kansas. Not mine. Wish they hadda been. ;-)

MikeC - Ollie' had asked a question about days on feed, is there any other info you can tell us about this group? Also, what are the breed crosses here?

Thank you!!

mitchwi":2on6arqg said:
MikeC - Ollie' had asked a question about days on feed, is there any other info you can tell us about this group? Also, what are the breed crosses here?

Thank you!!

Wags and Chars. Don't know feed info.

Latest posts