cattle genetics course?

Help Support CattleToday:

beefsbest

Reaction score
Hi, anyone have some info on where you can take a course or get more info on cattle genetics/ breeding? I'm rather new at all this and have a vet tech background/science major in college and would love to continue to learn more. Really want to produce some great eating beef. Have hereford heifers and have crossed them with angus for their 1st calves due this spring. We live in the high desert with extemes in temp..can freeze any night of the year and yet to up to 100 degrees in the daytime. We raise timothy and alfalfa hay and the girls clean up any hay that isn't export or horse quality. Thanks for your help. :)

I do not know of a course that offers genetics for great eating beef.
You can take genetics courses at most universities.
You can take animal science courses.
I'm sure there are many others available but not one, that I know of, that is that specific.
It sounds as though you are on the right track with your breed. Just start selecting animals with good carcass evaluation genetics.
In my case I just buy books and try and collect all the info off the net that I can.

Thanks for the info. Do you have any favorite books you could recommend? I live way out in the boonies (Yea!) and am an hour from the nearest town that has a community college. So any info out there on online stuff would be helpful...maybe your favorite websites? Thanks again :D

The best genetics course you will get is real world experience. Read lots, visit with producers not only in your area but all over to listen and learn what they say.

I would have to disagree with SEC. I have formal education in genetics with a lot of experience in research labs where they study such things, after being around all that i am continually amazed at the amount of crap, wives tales, misconceptions and other unscientific information about genetics that is passed as truth by "producers". Don't get me wrong "some" know what they are talking about but many are utterly clueless.

Beef11":20yvm7df said:
I would have to disagree with SEC. I have formal education in genetics with a lot of experience in research labs where they study such things, after being around all that i am continually amazed at the amount of crap, wives tales, misconceptions and other unscientific information about genetics that is passed as truth by "producers". Don't get me wrong "some" know what they are talking about but many are utterly clueless.

Although I agree with SEC, Beef11 is absolutely correct in warning against believing everything you hear, some of the old wive's tales I've heard and that from very respected breeders astounds me at times.

KNERSIE":3ijdjup8 said:
Beef11":3ijdjup8 said:

Although I agree with SEC, Beef11 is absolutely correct in warning against believing everything you hear, some of the old wive's tales I've heard and that from very respected breeders astounds me at times.

That is right, that is why doing is the best way to credit or discredit the old wives tail. Working knowledge is always your best knowledge.

I think getting some education on the matter would put you years ahead in your breeding program. Learn as much as you can from a good reliable source then off you go to the application side of things.

As far as real world experience goes that is something many intellectual people lack. They can design a breeding program that will be very effective but lack the ability to take it to its full potential because the cows all look the same and if you can't weigh it or measure it they can't tell which cow has it and which doesn't.

take every opportunity you can to attend seminars put on by universitiesand such. I spent a few days in Billings MT at one called Applied Reproductive Strategies in BEef Cattle and it would have been worth 10x the cost. Several universities were together putting it on, from eight different Universitiesand states. Another good source is any bull stud seminars live ABS, Genex and so on, afterall genetics is ther business and they make millions at it.

Sage:

I am close to Billings and was wondering if you could tell me when the Applied Reproductive Strategies goes on and where, is it in the Metra? And How much was the seminar?

Thank you very much!
jess

I think it was $150.00 but it is in a different place each year. This was a very good opportunity last september since it was close. it was held at the Briarwood Country Club in Billings this last year, before that I think it was in Nebraska. There was speakers from Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, South Dakota, Illinois, Nebraska, Virginia, Montana and more. They sent homa a book to all that attended, a little over 300 pages that covers moats of the material in the seminar. If you contact John Patterson at Montana State University in Bozeman Montana he might be able to get a book if your interested.
The book states that additional copies can be purchased for $25.00 by contacting:
John Patterson
Montana State University
P.O. Box 172820
Bozeman, Montana 59717-2820
[email protected]

I don't know if there is still some available or not.

Thanks Sage for some specific info., I'll be emailing John at Montana U! Anymore recommends on reading info would be appreciated. I am picking brains here locally, my source for my girls, an 80 yr old gal that has been in beef for 30 yrs, another gal that has been 4H beef leader and Limousin breeder for 25 yrs, and an Angus breeder who takes his bulls to the Red Bluff sale in Calif- lent me a yearling bull last yr to breed the girls. So I am actively trying to learn! Thanks everyone.

There is a book called Cow calf Management guide put to gether by a lot of professers and producers in the westeren states. A lot of good info. 1-208-885-6345 they also have a web site but I dont know it. Around a 800 pages cost about 100.00 bucks

Is this the right book for beginners like myself?

TB-Herefords":1569hbkv said:
There is a book called Cow calf Management guide put to gether by a lot of professers and producers in the westeren states. A lot of good info. 1-208-885-6345 they also have a web site but I dont know it. Around a 800 pages cost about 100.00 bucks

OhioRiver":145z1oo3 said:
Is this the right book for beginners like myself?

TB-Herefords":145z1oo3 said:
There are many books, on-line articles, pamphlets, occasional seminars on Genetics and Reproductive Technics and they are ALL valuable. The important factor to you right now is: START WITH SOMETHING! If you are concerned that it is above your knowledge base at the time, select a beginning information study from the Internet. There are literally thousands of bits of terrific information on the internet, and it is all for the SEARCHING!

My advice: Go to "dogpile.com", and USE them. Type any subject about beef cattle that you can come up with - - here are a few ideas - "Cow-Calf Production", "Beef Heifer Production", "Raising Beef Cattle". etc. Use short titles with few words, because the SEARCH Engines will pick out everything with all the words that you put in the title, and a lot won't be what you want. You will have your choice of from 50 to several hundred sources if information about each title. Scroll through and pick what you can use. Some is good, and some is not. But YOU make the decision. If you come on a phrase, or idea, or subject that stumps you, put the SEARCH engine to work asking about that subject.

Start a "GLOSSARY" of terms when you find a new word that is unfamiliar to you, find out the definition, and include it in your GLOSSARY. Pretty soon you will have your own personal "HANDBOOK OF BEEF CATTLE TERMS" that you can refer to, and then learning additional stuff is easy!

But - -START RIGHT NOW! Not tomorrow. NOW!

Good LEARNING!

DOC HARRIS

beefsbest":1tmkfpyn said:
Do you have any favorite books you could recommend?:D

Animal Breeding Plans by Jay L. Lush -- many printings, prefer the third edition
Animal Breeding by A. L. Hagedoorn

Look for these books at rare book dealers on-line or possibly eBay. These two books will help you see how to go down the path you want, depending on where your destination is going to be. May your travels be true and steadfast to your purpose.
-Julian

beefsbest":3p16pp8j said:
Thanks for the info. Do you have any favorite books you could recommend? I live way out in the boonies (Yea!) and am an hour from the nearest town that has a community college. So any info out there on online stuff would be helpful...maybe your favorite websites? Thanks again :D

This is the best book I have read for beginning basic genetics. The Cartoon Guide to Genetics by Larry Gonick. It may sound simplistic but it will definitely make you think.

Latest posts