Cattle for viewing

Help Support CattleToday:

SoTX Cwby

Reaction score
Just want to see what you all think. I raise cattle in South Texas. Very little input except for minerals, occasional cubes and hay in the winter. Cows need to make it on their own or not at all. Miss a calve and your gone no excuses. They may not work for everyone but they work here in this part of the country. They are in the photo gallery under SoTX Cwby. If someone will paste them over I would appreciate it. Thanks

Thats my kinda cattle raisin'. Minerals, cubes, winter hay and fuel are about the only costs/ inputs. I like your cattle they look like tough, solid workers.

What parts of s tx you from? LaPryor area by chance?

We ranch in Duval County in the heart of the brush country. We typically raise all of our females and bring in our bulls from local suppliers. Cattle raised along the coast on good grass pastures will tend to fall apart over here so we need our females to be highly adapted to making a living on what is available. We could spend alot of money dozing and seeding our pastures but over here if you can tell me when it will rain , I will tell you the next set of winning lottery numbers. :lol:

It must be the angle. From behind he looks wide as a tank. He is 5 and 1/2 yrs old now and is weighing 1800- 1900 lbs.

SoTX Cwby,
One of the best hybrid bulls I have evern seen was a Beefmaster x Red Angus in the early 1990's, just outside of Snook, Texas. Have you tried any Red Angus down there with your Beefmasters?
--Julian

Tried Angus for a couple of years but the bull and calves fell apart in the summer months. The few heifers that I kept for replacements calved on time but the calves and enviroment really put a beating on them and they did not rebreed. Have been giving some thought to either a Santa Cruz (King Ranch breed) or Brangus, but always seem to settle back on the Beefmasters because I need replacements that are fertile and that I know can handle the enviroment.

This spring is the first real grass they have had in a couple of years. Down here we had been going thru a drought the last couple of years from Jan 05 up until about Oct. 06 with only 1/2 " of rain. Until then they had been making it thru with only catus, brush and minerals. Sometimes the occasional round bale when I could find it below 100$ a bale. The brush down here has a high protein content and when forced to graze it the cattle do ok. Had to cut the herd almost in half just to get thru. Thought about selling completely out but the cattle began turning around. We have been blessed with a decent amount of rain and have been letting a portion of our land recoup from the drought. I only wish we could have this amount of grass year round.

SoTX Cwby":20sfzres said:
Tried Angus for a couple of years but the bull and calves fell apart in the summer months. The few heifers that I kept for replacements calved on time but the calves and enviroment really put a beating on them and they did not rebreed. Have been giving some thought to either a Santa Cruz (King Ranch breed) or Brangus, but always seem to settle back on the Beefmasters because I need replacements that are fertile and that I know can handle the enviroment.

If you were looking for a cross with the Beefmaster I think the Santa Cruz would be a good one to consider.
--Julian

That's more or less what I meant, up here the cattle don't do well on forage only during the winters because our grass lays over and dies and loses all it's protein value as I understand it.

For what those cows had to work with they did well. I have always enjoyed looking at beefmasters

Latest posts