Cattle for all seasons

Help Support CattleToday:

townfarmer

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity what breeds of cattle do people raise in places like Utah and Arizona where the summers are incredibly hot and arid and then winters are sub freezing with snow. I'd imagine bos indicicus cattle would do well in the summer and bos taurus cattle would fare better in winter. I'm fascinated to know which breeds are adaptable enough to cope with those extremes.

Andrew

townfarmer":1udl3npa said:
Just out of curiosity what breeds of cattle do people raise in places like Utah and Arizona where the summers are incredibly hot and arid and then winters are sub freezing with snow. I'd imagine bos indicicus cattle would do well in the summer and bos taurus cattle would fare better in winter. I'm fascinated to know which breeds are adaptable enough to cope with those extremes.

Andrew
you need something that can make it in the north, just as far south as you can
:cowboy:

townfarmer":1s0uphko said:

Andrew

I think you'll find the major beef breeds (Angus, Red Angus, Simmental, Char, Limmis, Herefords) in all climates across the US. I know Angus has made big inroads into the southeastern US the last several years.

Frankie":2d1oo8u6 said:
townfarmer":2d1oo8u6 said:

Andrew

I think you'll find the major beef breeds (Angus, Red Angus, Simmental, Char, Limmis, Herefords) in all climates across the US. I know Angus has made big inroads into the southeastern US the last several years.
that true,,,but i keep hearing more and more compliants about light weaning weights

Don;t know about the utah/arizona thing, but in the Mojave desert (1 pair per 350 acres) most of our cows were a percentage brahman and rest a mishmash of british breeds. They weaned high 4to mid 5 weight calves. When they were reloacted to irrigated pasture in central cal the weaning weights went into the 6s.
Strictly commercial cross (many cros) cows with a Brahman or Gert bull.

Frankie":2x9f7w19 said:
townfarmer":2x9f7w19 said:

Andrew

Yup, have a registered Angus bull heading to AZ.

Latest posts