Cattle feeding barn?

Help Support CattleToday:

kickinbull

Reaction score
We are considering putting something up for a feeding shed for dairy cows. I have read most everything on the internet but am not sure what would work best. Currently we are unrolling round bales on the ground in different fields. But, the cows are stirring up things, not bad, but I don't want that either. Been thinking I want the cattle off the pastures for the winter to rest. One idea is to put a feeder in the center of a building and stuff rolls of hay periodically. Of course we would have to provide a bedded resting area as well. Has anyone done and seen anything like this?

A friend has some of the hoop buildings that he feeds heifers in before they calve and go into the milk barn. They are fed on each side of the building instead of the middle.

Angus Cowman":3nspnpvt said:
google Free Stall Barns
they have used them for yrs in Dairy business
I would like one of those.............my birthday is in May.........:) That way them cows wont even get rained on.

My goal is to get a free stall barn up for my dairy cows. With the cost of building materials the way they are I probably won't be getting that done any time soon. I've also looked at a composted pack with a feed lane along one side of the barn but still under the roof. I've got lots of good ideas but no money to act upon them.

novaman":r2ql3cd7 said:
My goal is to get a free stall barn up for my dairy cows. With the cost of building materials the way they are I probably won't be getting that done any time soon. I've also looked at a composted pack with a feed lane along one side of the barn but still under the roof. I've got lots of good ideas but no money to act upon them.
What would you do with the one you are using now? Can you borrow some money against it?

Kingfisher":26tufrcp said:
What would you do with the one you are using now? Can you borrow some money against it?
I got some tough ole girls. They tough it out in dry lot most of the year. I have a 50x84 hoop building that I let them in when it gets cold and/or windy but it's too small to keep the whole herd in all the time and I have no system for feeding them in there. The hoop building is intended for maternity pens and housing calves.

novaman":2s1pkjbr said:

Novaman, I am close to what you are talking about, no goal, but would like one, and for the same reasons probably won't happen soon. Next county over 2 of those composted pack barns were put up. We stopped one day nosing while they were working on it. Lots of concrete, remodeled parlor, complete new buildings with head locks. I think I heard each barn holds 500. It was nice.

Don't know that you can ever justify construction of a freestall type barn for feeding only. Works well for dairy cattle because milk production depends on not only cow quality but also feed quality, availibility of feed at all times, temperature control to a degree and overall cow comfort. If you already had an existing structure that might be modifed to accomodate feeding it might work for beef cattle but you'd still need a feed lane, and mixer wagon etc. to make it really pay off.

kenny thomas":1bap5v64 said:
NRCS has some money here for feed barns at a 75% cost share rate. Might check and see if it might work for you.
They also have some excellent plans for different uses and probably for different areas of the country