Cattle Feeder Cone/Poly/Steer Stuffer

Help Support CattleToday:

Stickney94

Reaction score
Doing some upgrading this fall for winter feeding.
* Any recommendations on a Poly bale feeder? Possibly a poly cone style?
* Any recommendations on other cone style bale feeder? I've used a local version called Hay Manager. Really like them, but in the winter they can be very hard to move.

*Self-Feeder/Steer Stuffer -- are there any models out there that you can dial in the amount fed (starting out with say <10 lbs and slowyly increase the available rate? Any manufacturers out there in general? The two local companies have either discontinued them or built them using a jig for sheep and it doesn't work for >1,100 lb cattle.

I have nothing but Century poly feeders, had 'em over 10 years. Only maintenance is tightening the screws once, maybe twice a year. I love them and they're easy for me to move - but also easy for the cattle to move once they get really low. There are a lot of options, like a cone or skirt to reduce waste; hopefully someone else will elaborate because I haven't tried them. Yet.

Self feeders don't feed by lbs per day. You can shut them down so the cattle have to work harder and don't waste as much. But they will just stand there longer and eat what they want. If your starting out a set of calves carry buckets or use a TMR to work them up until they are ready for a self feeder.
There are several good brands. Smidley steer stuffers are bomb proof.
A friend of mine feeds a lot of Holstein strs. They took panner hog self feeders and built legs and frames for them. They work good and were cheap compared to a new feeder.

SBMF 2015 said:
Smidley steer stuffers are bomb proof.
They took panner hog self feeders and built legs and frames for them. They work good and were cheap compared to a new feeder.

My local Smidley distributor told me they discontinued their steer stuffer. Otherwise I was going to go that direction.

The hog feeder idea is one that I had pondered. Glad to hear someone else has tried that. Thanks!

When needed I use a 2-1-1 or -2-1 mix
The 2-1-1 in the summer as in my environment I have found the 2-1 to be too high protein for the heat and they just quit it.
2-1-1 is Corn, Cottonseed and salt
2-1 is cottonseed and salt.

Resurrecting an old thread --

Anyone have experience with Best Livestock Hay Saver -- out of KY I'm told? Link

OR the Titan West Bextra $Bale Feeder? Link

OR SI Feeders? Link

I have some cone style feeders that are wearing out that I'm looking to replace. Thanks!

*Self-Feeder/Steer Stuffer -- are there any models out there that you can dial in the amount fed (starting out with say <10 lbs and slowyly increase the available rate? Any manufacturers out there in general? The two local companies have either discontinued them or built them using a jig for sheep and it doesn't work for >1,100 lb cattle.
Try this

I checked on the price of one of the Auto Easy Feeders and it was 3 times the price of a 2000 lb. model T&S Triphopper. A savvy person could add a timer relay to have it dump into a feed trough easy enough.

J+ Cattle

Latest posts