Cattle Feed

Help Support CattleToday:

kilroy60

Reaction score
We're supplementing feed along with hay this summer since hay is very slim and the weather here in Ga is extremely dry. We're feeding a 14% protein general purpose feed that is made and supplied by a local feed yard. This general purpose feed has a the small pellets mixed in with a lot of filler. However, this feed yard has started offering feed that is just the small pellets and no filler. Same protein although a few cents per pound higher. My question is since this feed is all pellets, would I still have to supplement the same amount of feed per day and, could I get by with less feed?

Thanks and if any of you are getting too much rain, please send to Ga. We need it bad!

They sell in bulk and only info on feed bins is basically protein content along with basic ingredients. My thoughts were that since I would be getting all protein from the pellets and no filler that I could reduce feed by maybe a fourth since the general purpose feed has a lot of filler. Thanks for your comment.

kilroy60":4pcmk3xr said:
They sell in bulk and only info on feed bins is basically protein content along with basic ingredients. My thoughts were that since I would be getting all protein from the pellets and no filler that I could reduce feed by maybe a fourth since the general purpose feed has a lot of filler. Thanks for your comment.
If its in a pellet you can safely bet the farm that it has some filler in it. If you're feeding strictly for protein buy something that states the crude protein and go from there.

I know it is very dry in my part of Middle GA. The northern part of the county has had rain, but we got a tenth of an inch over a week ago and that was the first we've had in weeks. Will have to soon start feeding mine hay, if this drought continues.

Williamsv":3scyzxpw said:
I know it is very dry in my part of Middle GA. The northern part of the county has had rain, but we got a tenth of an inch over a week ago and that was the first we've had in weeks. Will have to soon start feeding mine hay, if this drought continues.

I know a tenth doesn't go far but we haven't even had that. I'm feeding hay already. And I don't like it one bit.

True Grit Farms":aqhg3m0r said:
JMJ Farms":aqhg3m0r said:
Kilroy what part of Georgia are you located in?

I was wondering the same thing. He's gotta be close by, it rains every where but around here.

Ain't that the truth. My fields would burn if you set them on fire.

I'm in north east Georgia - Athens area. Rain fall has been less than one inch since latter part of May. Been feeding hay since June as has many farmers in area. Got enough hay to get into winter months but if rain doesn't start soon I'm afraid it will hurt fall hay cutting. Hoping feed with hay can stretch things out till things improve.

New to replacement heifers. I bought two newly weaned heifers. Not sure what to feed or if to feed at all. We have good grass. Was wondering if a protien tub would b sufficient. And rye grass in the cold months. Any advice?

If they are newly weaned, they should get a little better nutrition than what would be available from just grass/hay. A protein tub would help but bringing them up everyday for a little grain (about 1% of their weight) will help them adapt to you and your place faster. Bearing in mind that their weight will increase so the amount of grain should also increase. We do it for a minimum of 45 days as the transission from milk and pasture to just pasture. Then they go out with the cow herd for the rest of their life here.

Thanks Dun and all others for your comments. New to this business and all help and advice is appreciated.

Latest posts