Cattle Evaluation Scale

Help Support CattleToday:

In Your Opinion, What is the ONE MOST Important Cattle Item?

• Weaning and/or Yearling Weight

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight Topline and/or Quality Navel Area Flap

• Pedigree

• Temperament

• Feminine Face (females) or "Bully Face" for Bulls

• Balanced Conformation (The "Triangle" Rule)

• Easy Calving

• Disease Resistance

• Foraging Ability and/or Forage Conversion

• Maternal Instinct (females) or Libido (bulls)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Brute 23":24rwk26y said:
Canadian_Cowgirl":24rwk26y said:
I voted for temperment, If im out in the middle of the night checking cows, i dont need some cow chasing me down trying to kill me. I agree the other things are important to, I just thought temperment was a little more important. If our cows have a bad temperment they go down the road. Bad tempermented cows have got me because they felt like it, there was no calf or anything. Its different if they are protecting a calf, but than agin i give the calfs a shot and tag them around 24 hours old or i try to, and i dont need a mad mommy tring to kill me. You also cant work with a tepermental cow like you can with the other ones, im not saying they should be pets. Im just saying you should be able to walk amongst them and handle them when need be with out putting your life in serious danger.JMO

Katy

I will take a cow with bad temperment over one who can't have a calf any day.... :D

Amen to that I can handle a bad cow I can't do anything with a dead calf.

This was an interesting poll. Its ironic how the thing(s) most people get bashed about in their cow pictures rank the least in the poll.

MikeC":1dlrnetj said:
Caustic Burno":1dlrnetj said:
It has to be easy calving can't sell a dead calf all the other traits are worthless if the cow can't deliver a life healthy calf.

True, but many times "Management" plays a big part in lost calves. Or lack of...............................

One example:

In my personal observations, a smaller calf will have more "abnormal" presentations than a larger calf at birth.

They have more room to around move inside the womb in the later gestation period when the calf is more active.

Just my own theory, so don't get bent out of shape.......... :lol:

Definitely the "char breeders" mentality. :D :D :D

Does make good sense though, Mike.

Brute 23":1mr4nm17 said:
I think we know who has been choosing temperment... all our cowgirls on here. :lol:

Yep... got a bag full of tricks for handling bad cattle.

You might be right on the issue that women require a better disposition. Ryder mentioned hobby farmers and I think he was right too but I want to add a third type of person - the cold weather calver. I am not talking chilly I mean freezing cold calving seasons. When a calf can quickly freeze to death it offers another dimension to calving. Even with adequate bedding some cows are stupid and go off to a snow bank to have a calf. Had one that went into the woods through snow the truck couldn't get through. She had her calf no problem but she wouldn't let my mother walk or ride in to help her. Found the head of the calf when the snow melted. I remember a cow that had her baby on an ice patch. Again, no problems calving but it was too slippery for the calf to stand up. Tried to put straw on the spot that wasn't working. The calf was freezing very fast. It was in a location that a truck couldn't get too and again she would charge if you came near. Now if we had a good deal of time we would have been able to save the calf but at -30 on a damp night with a calf on ice it dies fast. We have all sorts of tricks too but often there just isn't time to use them. I want a cow that if the calf is cold I can scoop it, warm it up and give it back to her.
So, my insistence on disposition is the same as Caustics comment - I can't sell a dead calf. If a cow needs to be pulled I can do that if she is easy to work with but there are too many chances of having a dead calf because the cow is impossible. That's why we don't have anyone that I can't walk up and grab the calf at birth now.

MikeC":2nd2r529 said:
Caustic Burno":2nd2r529 said:
It has to be easy calving can't sell a dead calf all the other traits are worthless if the cow can't deliver a life healthy calf.

True, but many times "Management" plays a big part in lost calves. Or lack of...............................

One example:

In my personal observations, a smaller calf will have more "abnormal" presentations than a larger calf at birth.

They have more room to around move inside the womb in the later gestation period when the calf is more active.

Just my own theory, so don't get bent out of shape.......... :lol:
Granted I haven't had as many calves as you by a long shot, but the only calf that I have had breach was the biggest calf I ever had. A 120 lb. breach calf out of a 1000lb. cow wasn't a good combination.

I don't think they have to be dinks to be easy calving though.

Interesting opinions so far...

In spite of frequency of "easy calving" desires, it is amazing that some still breed (accidentally or intentionally) for big calves that periodically need to be pulled!

Guess it's the "start out big...reach target weight sooner...more bucks at sale barn quicker..." However, an occasional dead calf or dam can reduce any dollar increases realized...

Latest posts