Cattle eating unhusked walnuts

Help Support CattleToday:

dressageophobia

Reaction score
I let my two herford heifers into the yard around my house to eat the grass and they started eating the walnuts that fell recently. They are still in the green husks.

If it is OK to feed these I will gather and throw them in the pasture as I have no use for them.

I read the other posts about walnut trees in the pasture with no problems so I am assuming the cattle ate the walnuts that fell from the trees with no problems.

Any opinions on this???? If I let the cows eat these nuts will they go teats up?

Don't have a clue. There are a bunch of walnuts along an old road across my place, but I've never seen the cows eating them.

Our cows just ignore them. I would htink a calf might mouth them some but I doubt they'ld eat them if there is anyting else to eat. I'ld be concerned with a choking hazard

We also have a couple of walnut trees in our pasture but our cows have never eaten them, but the green husk on the walnuts will cause abortions in cattle as well as horses. I don't know how many they would have to eat to cause an abortion though.

Duck

Not sure which it is either Walnut or Hickory when they are green and busted up and threw into a pond they will kill the fish and they will float to the top. It takes the oxygen out of the water. Not sure if I would want a cow eating them or not though.

I've never seen a cow eat a walnut either.. unless that was all there was to eat. I wouldn't waste my time gathering them up and throwing them into the pasture.

Latest posts