Cattle Eating Cut Lawn Grass

Help Support CattleToday:

vs_cattle":2x0g9ca7 said:
Can Cattle Get Sick From Eating Lawn Grass That Was Just Cut?

I cannot answer positively on this.
I know a man that does this every week and his cattle are fine.
He is mowing a mix of bremuda and st. augistine.
There may be certain plants in your yard that will poison cattle.
When cattle are in pasture they can select what to eat.When you feed mowed grass it is all chopped up and they cannot choose, therefore you could potentialy feed them something bad.

My cows will line up along the fence row when they hear the lawn mower start up, I worried about it but I haven't seen any bad affects. I have a little bluegrass in the yard and they love it but of course they eat everything else too.

This is funny ROFLMAO what do you think hay is?
A lot of people actually bale there pastures the cows are walking around eating it till its baled and when you bale you put some pasture protien in the bales as well.

I've put out lawn clipping for the cows before and some of them wouldn't touch it, a few would though. They did not clean it up, most of it sat there and dried up.

Bullbuyer":3bw3xngr said:
Not to rain on anybody's parade but I would take into consideration what chemicals, if any, had been applied to the lawn.

You actually think the yard owner is putting on more chemicals than the average cattle operation that has to be licensed.

I would guess the average suburban lawn jock puts about 10 times as many chemicals on his lawn as the average cowboy puts on his pasture. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Beefmaker":3kv68k8q said:
I would guess the average suburban lawn jock puts about 10 times as many chemicals on his lawn as the average cowboy puts on his pasture. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And knows juuuuuuuuust enough to make him dangerous! I wouldn't worry about the cattleman CB b/c more than likely he did his research before he sprayed his hay pasture. The average lawn jock goes to Ho Depot and buys whatever is on the display.

My cattle does the same thing... comes up close to the fence when I mow... They like that fresh cut grass... easy to get in their mouths.. beats pulling it.
uuggh... lets not talk about mowing yet.. its just around the corner anyway.

When our gals hear the lawn mower fire up they come a running and gather at the fence closest to the house and wait for the candy to be dumped.
Just pasture deliveded to them...DMc

Caustic Burno":1z3mowhi said:
This is funny ROFLMAO what do you think hay is?
A lot of people actually bale there pastures the cows are walking around eating it till its baled and when you bale you put some pasture protien in the bales as well.

I Know What Hay Is! But The Differnce I Really Dont Know Between Lawn Grass And Hay But I Do Know Horses Can Get Colic Or Something Like That If They Eat Lawn Grass That Was Just Cut So Thats Why Im Asking

vs_cattle":2xrcpyo8 said:
I Know What Hay Is! But The Differnce I Really Dont Know Between Lawn Grass And Hay But I Do Know Horses Can Get Colic Or Something Like That If They Eat Lawn Grass That Was Just Cut So Thats Why Im Asking

Well, for one thing, cattle ARE NOT horses... :roll:

Caustic Burno":cq2ok18m said:
Bullbuyer":cq2ok18m said:
Not to rain on anybody's parade but I would take into consideration what chemicals, if any, had been applied to the lawn.

You actually think the yard owner is putting on more chemicals than the average cattle operation that has to be licensed.

Point made. My concern was more along the lines of someone putting out poison for moles, stuff like that.

IluvABbeef":3iuvu4eg said:
vs_cattle":3iuvu4eg said:

There Not ? No Duh Sherlock! What I Mean Is They Are Both Mamals And Both Eat Out In The Pasture So Im Asking To Be On The Safe Side Thus Why This Post Is HERE!

vs_cattle":1e5kuncv said:
IluvABbeef":1e5kuncv said:
vs_cattle":1e5kuncv said:

There Not ? No Duh Sherlock! What I Mean Is They Are Both Mamals And Both Eat Out In The Pasture So Im Asking To Be On The Safe Side Thus Why This Post Is HERE!

I've read that about horses...and I kind of did a double take when I did 'cause I've fed clippings to the calves...and of course, being the worrier I am, when I read that about horses...well, you get my drift, so don't feel all alone.

Alice

Latest posts