cattle dying

Help Support CattleToday:

Andybob":3k50f7vb said:
If any of your hay is produced using slurry, nitrate poisoning is worth investigating.
pull some blood on one if it happens again sounds like nitrate poison to me. i think the blood will be bright red if its nitrate do you have alot of johnson grass in your hay & how long does it take for them to die?

cutester":1w2ihz61 said:
Vets didn't check for anything.Just decided was hay and walked off. One acted like he was afraid to touch cow used pencil to look at mouth.Cattle have been in field for last 4 months with no problems till started feeding hay.That's why we thought it might be something in hay. We don't know what to look for. No cherry trees close to fields.
You need new vets..and if they done me that way everbody that uses em would need a new one to

cutester":e40ahanz said:
Last fall we had cattle dying. Cows get down and can't get up. They will eat all you bring them. We lost 10 -12 cows from Nov.- Jan. We had a 500 pound steer do the same thing. Sent him for autopsy they found nothing but a small amount of worms which they concluded would not be the cause. We moved cattle and problem stopped. We were feeding rolled hay. Several vets came and could not determine cause. One said moldy hay. As the illness progresses the cattle will lay down and thrash head with toungue hanging out.No discharge from anywhere.Hay was gathered from several fields and was not old hay. This year it has started again. The cattle was in same field and feeding this year's hay. We have mineral salt available to cattle. We found young bull down age 4 years. We moved cattle immediately. In the process we had an older cow to get down in trailer we assume from the same illness. Symptoms are the same and she is presently still alive laying in field in upright position.Cattle are wormed every spring and fall. The illness seems to not effect young calves. We really do not believe it is moldy hay as we see farmers feeding hay that we would dispose of before feeding it to our cattle. Could it be some kind of toxic plant cut with the hay or small animals caught in mowers and rolled in hay? We are a small outfit with around 150-175 head of cattle including calves and can't afford to loose cattle like this.

Mint Weed maybe???

wild mint Perilla frutescens

Perilla ketone toxicity is caused by the ingestion of the leaves and seeds on the plant Perilla frutescens (purple mint), which contains a pneumotoxin. Purple mint is found in the southeastern USA. The pathogeneses of both these conditions are similar to that of ABPEE, as is approach to treatment.
;-)

Cousin of mine lost several head one dry year to acorn poisoning. Took a while to figure out what was killing his cows. Don't know much more than that about it.

Good Luck.

Conagher":21ofie4y said:
Cousin of mine lost several head one dry year to acorn poisoning. Took a while to figure out what was killing his cows. Don't know much more than that about it.

Good Luck.

Tannic acid Pin Oaks are the worst of the lot kill them graveyard dead.

Thanks for all the good suggestions. This time we lost a young bull and one older cow. We tried to save the cow but she died the second day. Since moving the lot of them no other cattle seem to be affected. No trees seem to be the culprit, maybe the hay will test for something.

cutester... get on the phone and call the closest teaching veterinary hospital. I promise you they will help you if they can! Make sure you tell them you're getting no help at all from your local vet.

I would hunt day and night if I had to after losing as many head as you have. That is a lot of $$ you've lost.

Latest posts