Cattle Dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

Border collies are hiper,always need to be doing something, herding cows or chaseing cars. BUT cross the two Austrailian shepard & Border Collie, and you have a @#$% of a good dog. Before I got married, I had a border collie, Also raised game chickens, I noticed a lot of chickens getting run over by cars. Was sitting on the front porch early one morning and watch my border collie herd six hens to the rode, I couldn't believe what I was watching. I bred her to a austrailian shepard, had some out standing pups. Smart but not as hiper, kind of knock them down a notch.My border collie was 14 when she passed.

I have had the pleasure of owning all of the above (plus a couple of other breeds), and my choice would be the Austrailian Cattle Dog (or commonly known as the Blue Heeler, and yes, I know they aren't mentioned above). They are smart, and always on the go - and kept up with my kids, while making sure they are well guarded. (NO ONE would dare come in the yard without me being there)

But my heelers have passed away, and I currently have Border Collies - and yes, they are hyper, but they are my shadows, and they love to work. Nothing gives them a bigger pleasure then a scratch and a pat on the side when they get a "well done". I don't find them as smart work wise as the Heeler, but they figure things out after doing the same job a few times.

We've got a heeler and a shepherd, neither one is worth a flip, but it's probably the owners' fault. :lol:

cfpinz

The BCs I've seen are happiest when working. They need and desire to work all of the time. Probably smarter than AS, but didn't care for the family affection. Seemed to tolerate it.

My sister's AS is a good all around dog, smart, likes to work but is comfortable just hanging out. She is out of some working stock line in Michigan. Big boned, medium length hair.

I just bought a Blue Lacy puppy that will work cows. All of the qualities of a AS, but short hair and has a tail. ;-)

We have 2 border collies, never been around the shepards but our dogs arent hiper, they were disaplined good when they were pups just like any dog can be, very friendly and very good family dogs.

I've asked a fair number of dog questions here and I have come to the conclusion that it is more the owner than the dog. Certainly some tendencies are present in certain breeds but ALL seem to require a fair amount of training and discipline to reach their potential - of course, I guess we all do.
I still haven't gotten a dog to replace the previous one but I do enjoy reading everyone's input about their favorite breed.

Most any dog can be a good dog,lots of attention,you're the boss,take em with you whenever possible,let them in the house...

I don't think the breed matters(as to wether you get a good'un) as much as it does to make sure they come from DIRRECT working lines. And the definition of "working" is alot more than pushing a few tame animals around the homestead.
Herding qualities are the first to be lost by careless breeding--Only the very best, most prooven dogs should be bred. papers don't mean a thing unless the dog is prooving itself first. Then they are nice to have to track bloodlines.

Border Collies are the cadalac of dogs--- but they can take alot more work on the owners part to raise and get them going.But they can do so much more when you do.
They aren't for everyone-- and they definetly need to be structured-treating them like a yard dog is dangerous for stock; neighbors and the dog itself..
You can't treat a Border Collie just like any other dog-- they are unique . Thats why alot of people fail with them. The dog trains the humans how to exhist with them- instead of the other way around. Also they are so smart that they can get overwhelmed when given confusing messages. And they learn lessons fast..and not always the one you were planning on teaching :)

If you are not looking for a life partner-- go with one of the other breeds--
And find a good WORKING breeder to buy from.

border collie amazing dog have had one for 6 years herd anything that has 2 1 or 4 legs lol even three

Okay, now if you are ready for a giggle. We have a Welsh Corgi that is the best sorting dog. She is great working in the corrals but out in the long grass, she wears down fast.

Green Creek":3mmqszqy said:
Okay, now if you are ready for a giggle. We have a Welsh Corgi that is the best sorting dog. She is great working in the corrals but out in the long grass, she wears down fast.

I worked at a kennel for a few years, and had the priveledge :shock: of holding training classes. There was a lil Welsh Corgi pup that was absolutely adorable, and he was as smart as I had seen. A whole lot smarter then his owner, seeing as when on the very last day of classes his owner let him off his lead, and the lil guy took off into the woods that bordered the property. It took us over 2 hrs to locate that pup - couldn't see him in all the brush, and he thought it was a great game to play tag.

We have an austrailian shepard/heeler cross.
We really love her and she is smart. She is very protective of us and the truck...property in general. She is not good with strangers or even occassional visitors...a real ankle nipper. I'm sure if she was around children as a pup she would protect them instead of nip them.

Wouldn't trade her for anything.

I happen to love my blue healer... shes a real tuff one..and smart too. She heards, and nips the heels, and can hold them off when I need her to. They are very property protective if you know what I mean.

donnaIL":2jlvk9nv said:
We have an austrailian shepard/heeler cross.
We really love her and she is smart. She is very protective of us and the truck...property in general. She is not good with strangers or even occassional visitors...a real ankle nipper. I'm sure if she was around children as a pup she would protect them instead of nip them.

Wouldn't trade her for anything.
Does anyone know of a breeder that might have this cross?
Donna, thanks for the PM.

Latest posts