cattle dog bites too high

Help Support CattleToday:

If a cow dog can't take getting kicked he is a mighty low octane dog, need's to be culled from the gene pool. If he is a high octane dog he will learn from the experience and hone his skills. Old dog will get tagged once in while. Not all stock dogs make a cow dog I have seen several Bordie Collies that have to go over the hill as they are not tough enough to take the abuse of working cattle. I still believe its is better to find out early what octane dog you have before you end up with a potlicker for the next 10 years. Hope to see you at the Lone Star Cattle dog futurity.

I tend to disagree. All it takes is one blow to the head. case in point- boss's dog at work (australian shepherd) went over a hill to help round up some horses. got kicked in the head and was lying unconcious, head swollen by the time he got to the top of the hill (riding a mule). Dog was in a coma for a couple of days, lost sight in her right side and was paralyzed on her right side, not to mention the skull fractures. she regained her ability to walk, still cant see beyond 20 feet, and has seizures now as a result.

Beefy":384yywhk said:
I tend to disagree. All it takes is one blow to the head. case in point- boss's dog at work (australian shepherd) went over a hill to help round up some horses. got kicked in the head and was lying unconcious, head swollen by the time he got to the top of the hill (riding a mule). Dog was in a coma for a couple of days, lost sight in her right side and was paralyzed on her right side, not to mention the skull fractures. she regained her ability to walk, still cant see beyond 20 feet, and has seizures now as a result.

One of the hazards of being born a stock dog. A dog that doesn't ever get kicked or head butted isn't working stock. Heck my current dog has been stepped on, kicked, and butted throught the years, keeps coming back to work harder. Would be loss to get a crippling injury but at as I said one of the hazards of the job.

Campground Cattle":16pxfjgs said:
Beefy":16pxfjgs said:

One of the hazards of being born a stock dog. A dog that doesn't ever get kicked or head butted isn't working stock. Heck my current dog has been stepped on, kicked, and butted throught the years, keeps coming back to work harder. Would be loss to get a crippling injury but at as I said one of the hazards of the job.
Camp,you sound like a friend of mine .He has been training workin'dogs for the past 40 years and he has had some of the best i've seen.He don't make much as a ranch hand but he doubles his wages with his dogs roundin' up cows,sheep and goats.He told me the same thing once.If the dog gets kicked or stepped on it will learn not to let it happen a second time.

Tapeworm,I accept the things you have said about me with the exception of me "Opening MY mind and learning.Yes I am new to the cattle game and ranching but I have never once on this board argued with anyone who has offered me advice. Is it all good advice? Only time will tell.No I do not know how much experience you have with cattle,dogs or farmin and perhaps I was wrong for judgeing you on those matters. The FACT is that I do not come here to seek advice then rebuke the answers I am given simply because I don't agree.If the shoe fits wear it. And like it or not I like the phrase "NUFF SAID. Have a great day. :cboy:

Tapeworm the inbreeding remark was totally uncalled for. Like I said I will stick with the cattlemen and cattlewomen. Stick around you might actually learn something.

I like you Medic.... I stayed out of this be nice match because quite frankly I am 16... don't have a whole lot of life experiece but I know enough to know that this business isn't all about gettin rich, buying everything you ever dreamed of and living the "good" life, being able to wake up each morning, breath the fresh air, be able to work and take care of things when and how they need to be done and to get things accomplished on my own time and manner and not to be couped up in a concrete world of ignorance and waste... a world I've grown up in and hate... honestly my dad doesn't realize that I'd trade this life of liesure, sports, and "good" living for scooping sh't and feeding animals and working for absolutley everything. My goal in life isn't to get rich... it isn't to be famous, it's for my cattle- my family's legacy to be one of success at what I love and what I can build us to be... what I can achieve not through somebody else but because of my own sweat and labor, not on a salary... but on what little I may have to get by, and not many people seem to understand that this is how I am and will be the rest of my life... you medic and the rest of you who have accepted me as a "cattlekid" seem too

OH my thanks to all for the compliments... but in rereading my last post I can't believe I misspelled GOD! OH NO!

Anyway. what I was trying to say and should have said it in a much shorter way.... aren't we all rich, doing what we do? Lets face it, if it were the money, heck i would still be attached to that rat race wheel...goin round and round...and for what? None or should I say few of us would be raising cattle.....

Now instead of too many bosses to count, I have only three, not counting our livestock! First is our God, second is my No1, the earhtly boss, and she can get mean at times...and then there is ....me......the toughest boss I have ever known/ But heck, I would not trade my 'rich' life for all the tea in China.... perhaps a new pick-up would tempt me.......or at least a newer one.......I wish every one could enjoy contentment in what they do....life sure is nicer that way. :lol:

Jake, theres no "kid" about you. From what ive read over the last year, year and a half, youre already more of a man than most. and never think it goes unnoticed who is and is not involved in the pissing contests around here. Sometimes what you dont say means more than what you do. keep of the goodwork!
Best, Beefy

tapeworm":2g593iv2 said:
Wowee, whatta welcome. I don't hardly know what to say but I got to say something dont I. Hope you can hear me from down here at the bottom of the pile. LOL
I was raised to believe that a man NEVER gives up ground when he's right....That the beatin you get at home will always be way worse than what you get away from home if you do. But before he digs in to stand his ground first he ALWAYS apologizes and admits when he is wrong. Same beatin if you dont. I still try to live my life that way long after the beatins are done. LOL So let me start by saying I'm sorry to the Camground Cattle Company Hereford guy for my small and childish namecalling. I say whats on my mind but I was wrong with the Camp Playground and girlscout Camp stuff. Maybe even the wannabe rancher was wrong to say.

Now iguess I'll just start at the begining. You were all so nice to welcome me that I think you all deserve an answer back. I better make a list so that I can check them off and dont leave nobody out
1. Caustic Burno
2. Muratic
3. Mahoney Pursley Ranch
4. Craig-TX
5. certherfbeef
6. brokenmouth

Theres 6 of you that need response from 1 of me so it may take some time. Craig-TX said that I ouhta go back and read old posts and that I have done to help my memory but Ive been reading posts here for a long time anyway. I even posted as a guest here a long time ago when you could still do that. I think the guys at ranchers.net are ranchers more like me but I see a problem with some of them so i registerd here. They like to argue to much and gang up on people that dont agree with em. The new guy Malcom has done a lot to clean up the language and some of the fighting though. Getting to be a nicer place again but i thought the people here were easier to get along with. Imagine that

After going back and reading postings as Craig-TX said I will combine my response to #1. Caustic Burno and 2. Muratic, since you are kin. both of your posts really lost me. Even now when i read them again. Muratic thinks my posts are to long....Got that part. Muratic,don't read them. Simple. And both of you still have areal good contribution to make. Try this. Next time somebody ask about trouble with close linebreeding you too can chirp up. Dont matter what you say they will have there answer.

I need to quote stuff next. I dont yet know how to do that like some of you do with the boxes. Wish I could. For now I have to copy and paste Maybe somebody will tell me how later. You can send a private message so nobody knows you helped me.
Mahoney Pursley Ranch, you said:

"Campground and others on this board have forgotten more about cattle,dogs,farmin etc than people like you ever knew. Perhaps if you opened your mind and listened you'd learn something. NUFF SAID"

From reading old postings I know you justretired to a ranch down in Texas and I am really pleased for you. Happy for you. Someof us take for granted things that you have dreamed about and now lookingforward to. I hope you enjoy that life as much as I have. Maybe when you get a few years experince I will feel like you are more better able to judge how much I know or dont know. Try your advise "Perhaps if you opened your mind and listened you'd learn something." I will be happy to help you in any way that I can. Good luck to you. And the "NUFF SAID" thing that you and Campground Cattle Company seem to share sometimes may work around your house. Not with me.

Now comesCraig-TX. Craig-TX, you say

"Tapeworm, you've been here for three whole days and made 14 posts. Don't you think it's a little soon to go p-ssing on somebody's leg? Especially when it's plain that they have years of experience and a lot to offer? Heck, read through his posts if you don't believe it. Before you start labeling people wanna be ranchers and girlscouts you might want to consider how credibility is built up. It's done by making intelligent remarks and adding thoughtful opinions. You don't have to agree with everybody on everything and it's OK to get into arguments. But tearing down the likes of Campground in order to make yourself look good will backfire 100% of the time with anybody whose been around these boards for long. And with anybody who knows cattle."

I Hate having to debate with you CraigTx. You are so wellspoken. I really admire that. I hope that people listen to what I have to say and not compare theway I say it to you. I will always lose then. Guess 14 posts is to much in 3 or 4 days because that is about 4 or moreper day. Sorry that I didnt know their was a limit for newcomers. I was confused by some ofthe Gurus that average way more than that even over a year. Sometimes doing 30 posts in 1day. Really funny dont you think. You guys give aGuru status to somebody based on number of posts. But you complain about a newcomer posting 14 in 3 or 4 days.Sorry for my mistake. Now that I know the rules,I will try to abide them.

andI didn't tryto teardown Campground Cattle Company to make me look good. (don't care how I look to any of you.) He did that hisself and you helpedhim Craig-Tx. When he made his posting about letting a 9 month old pup get kicked to break itfrom biting to high and you posted right after that pretty much in agreement with him. That wasn't what Rjw was asking forI dont think. You remember him? He asked the question about helping the pup without getting him hurt or discouraged. I was only trying to help. I even said that your Campground Cattle Company guy may have only been trying to be funny. And to this day I still believe that he was really joking. I said that if he wasnt, that he didn't know anything about dogs. I stand by that statment today but he wanted to defend his position and ridicule me because he spends more money on dogs than I can afford. Now you want to defend him again. You were right that Campground Cattle Company has a lot to offer with his postings. The Campcattle guy must really be a pretty good guy....he's sure a lucky guy. To have friends like all of you to defend him. Even when he's wrong. But I was raised to believe that a real friend is man enough to tell somebody when there wrong.

Craig-Tx you say I was trying to tear him down...just to make me look good. This is your quote:"But tearing down the likes of Campground in order to make yourself look good will backfire 100% of the time with anybody whose been around these boards for long. And with anybody who knows cattle." Now this quote was from Mr. Campground Cattle Company: "When it comes to cow dogs doubt if your checkbook is thick enough to buy the quality of dog I run."

It doesnt excuse what I did, but what did you call that Craig-Tx? Did that backfire with anybody whose been around these boards for long or with anybody who knows cattle.Was he doing what you accused me of or not? Trying to tear me down to make himself look good. Were you outraged then and where is your public rebuking of him? Thats different I guess. He's a guru and probaly your friend.Im justa new guy trying to help somebody. Where I come from we call that a double standard Craigtx. Here I guess it is your standard.

How bout you certherfbeef. You said:

"Very well said Craig, as usual."

I guess you agree with what Craig-TX said. But what you say is factually true. It was very well said. Everything I ever read of Craig-Tx has been well said.I really have no argument with you certherfbeef becasue what you say is true.

Now to you brokenmouth. Finally to #6 on the list. Even though you were last on my list you are reallyat the top of the pile. Thats the way it works in the pile on world you guys have here. Stay up there if you can brokenmouth.....it is a lot better than being down here on the bottom of the pile. Of all the people here I feel like you are probaly more like me. Craig-Tx makes both of us look bad because he is so good at sayin stuff he means. I dont pay enough atention to doing that any more. Guys like you usuallymake me more comfortble. But you said:

"tapeworm you dont know campground from adams off ox and your already struttin around and pickin fights. For lands sakes theres plenty of idiots commin and goin on here from time to time but he aint one of em."

Well brokenmouth I dont have to strut and I wasnt picking any fights. Camground Cattle Company set to trying to ridicule me about spending more on dogs than me and he's rightbecause I dont buy mycowdogs. And to top it off he said about Rjw the guy with the pup question "Anybody thats dumb enough to put a nine month old dog on cows deserves to have the s... kicked out of it." Rjw is a newcomer like me. Guess we deserve that treatment for being new. By the way brokenmouth you dont know me from "adams off ox" either. I know more about all of you than you do me. Counting Campground Cattle Company I have over 3,500 posts to read to learn about the 7 of you. 14 postings that you used to judge me.

You know this is real simple but i dont think some of you gusy get it. Being a new registered user does not mean that I amnew to this forum and being new to this forum does not mean that a person is new to cattle. Or dogs. Do you guys get that? BEING NEW TO THIS FORUM DOES NOT MEAN THAT A PERSON IS NEW TO CATTLE Being new to this forum does not make us less because we havent been on here as long as some of you.

If you want to post more mean replies to me here you get free shots at me. I wont say any more onthis topic. But I will read and remember your shots and have replies for you at some point but I cant be on here as much as some of you. Thats why it took me so long to get back with you. Retribution from me may not be swift but you can bet that it will be coming when I get the chance....Count on that.I tried to answer in public those of you that jumped on me. Send me a private mesage if you want to jaw any more please so we can get back to the pup.

Maybe if we stop it now Rjw can get some help with his 9 month old pup. Before he gets kicked into orbit a few times like Campground cattle said. Maybe the fellersbarnone ranch will be able to help you Rjw. That is if you are still reading postings....I know being called dumb probaly doesnt make you want to take much more of that. Please dont let that run you off. Lots of good help on here and good people too. Like you I had wanted to be part of that...Im sorry to you for my part in getting off track. Listen to fellersbarnoneranch. He has good advice and besides me is the only one that posted that cares about your pup. I'm just sorry that I let the CampCattle guy get under my skin trying to ridicule me about having more money. Hes right but I dont have to like it.For that I am also sorry

All this stuff makes me start to bekleive in the Texas posse I read about here. But you wont here me talking down about the posse if there is one. I see thru some of the fakes they smoke out too like the Chicago horses guy. They have good intents and do mostly good. That describes most of the Texas people I know.Sometimes I thnink the people that run the posse down or put down other groups are just from jealousy because they are not part of it.But sometimes posses get the wrong man.It reminds me of this quote from brokenmouth to me

"others just get off to a rough start then settle down and get along pretty well. well which are you gonna be"

My question for the posse is this borrowed from brokenmouth... Which are you gonna be. The posse that admts when it has the wrong man or the posse that hangs him anyway just to keep from saying you were wrong? Dont much matter to me. I'm sure i can either get along or get out of your rope.You choose.

Well I guess that does it folks. Sorry it was so long winded. I had a lot of you to answer to. Just one of me. Sorry it was to long for Muratic to get to read it all. (LOL with me Muratic...I wont tell nobody your still here) Hope none of you were sad thinking that I had tucked tail and took off.
Thanks again for the warm welcome guys. Im already learning hard lessons here. Heres one: all the things I have learned in 40+ years of fooling with dogs will go to my grave with me before I share it with any of you.Hope that makes you happy. Sure dont want any of you guru types to be scared of learnin something from a new guy. But youre not going to run me off because I will be here. Thats a promise. You dont have to like it. But you are going to have to get used to it.

well i reckon thats all fine and good but do you have a readers digest version

Beefy":2reo9nkg said:
Jake, theres no "kid" about you. From what ive read over the last year, year and a half, youre already more of a man than most. and never think it goes unnoticed who is and is not involved in the be nice contests around here. Sometimes what you dont say means more than what you do. keep of the goodwork!
Best, Beefy

Thanks Beefy!!