Cattle Chutes

Help Support CattleToday:

PINZ Farmer

Reaction score
hey, what are some good brands of cattle chutes that are great quality but arent overly expensive.i do not want one of the top most sophisticated designs just something simple and inexpensive that will work for a small herd. thanx for any help you can give me. i have heard good things about prefiert, for most, and powder river. those any good. thanx

joe

Go with either Priefert or Powder River. They are both good products in everything that they make.

Look at the auto close models. They'll run a little higher but are well worth the extra cost. Then check and see which type of headgate you prefer. I like the Priefert economy model with the auto catch over any of the others I've messed with.
The problem I've found is that some of the standard chutes won't fit with the larger continental breeds, either for width or length. I had that problem with a WW at one time. Of course that was 30 years ago so maybe they're all pretty much the same size now.

dun

PINZ Farmer":1xkqg3b3 said:
hey, what are some good brands of cattle chutes that are great quality but arent overly expensive.i do not want one of the top most sophisticated designs just something simple and inexpensive that will work for a small herd. thanx for any help you can give me. i have heard good things about prefiert, for most, and powder river. those any good. thanx

joe

PINZ Farmer":3t89ra1c said:

joe

Pearson chutes are great

Joe

Where are you located? If you are anywhere in the northwest , you might want to look at Canadian Hi-Hog chutes. Made in Alberta. Good quality for the price- lot cheaper than Priefert or Powder River.

Hi-Hog's chute has worked very well here. I really like the roominess of it, as the mature bulls can easily fit into and through it when they're being processed. A nice feature that is easy to appreciate if you've ever tried to tag, brand or vaccinate a bull that doesn't fit into a chute. It can be done in the alleyway, but God bless the guy who came up with the chute that has an adjustable head-gate, width, and squeeze capability. Must of been related to the guardian angel of all cow/calf operations... the guy who drew up the plans for the free standing maternity pen. Gotta love 'em.

Take care.

We bought a For-Most about 10 years ago in northern Illinois, and it's been a great chute for us. It has the adjustable head gate, which is invaluable, plus we got the palpation cage. It has removable panels in three places on the top, and the bottom panel also comes off. This comes in handy for giving shots or working on feet / legs.

We use a preifert as well. If you ever need to move the chute or even think you might spend the extra couple hundred and buy the wheel kit. It is the only way to go. The chute can be moved easily by hand when the wheels are attached.