Cattle can be dangerous

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullbuyer":2h49hkk1 said:
Halter? I don't know about that - we keep a set of what I all bull pliers buy the head gate. In the nose, pull the head sideways and I don't worry about gettin' a George Foreman type uppercut!!!

Yes, you're right. A halter is slower and more cumbersome than nose tongs.

somn":xxspcdwn said:
msscamp":xxspcdwn said:
IL Rancher":xxspcdwn said:
Yep... Had a cow in the headgate once and was retagging he ear.. Got my head to close and she swung that head up and "pop" I went flying backwords..

You know, a halter would have fixed that little problem - and it takes about a minute to put one on a cow (with a little practice), and snag her down. Consider yourself lucky she didn't kill you - that has been known to happen, as well.

I don't mean to be a smarty pants here but, with regard to this thread, what happened to common sense? Why would anyone think they can come out on top in any kind of a confrontation with an animal that outweighs them 8 or 9 times over? I'm definitely missing something.

And yes you are definitely missing something CATTLE KNOWLEDGE. I've been reading alot of your posts you sure have got real smart since Aug 2004 you are the expert on everything now and a little over two years ago by reading your posts by your own admission you didn't know very much. My hats off to you all this cattle knowledge learned in 2 years.

It is a free country, and you're entitled to think whatever you like, but that doesn't make it correct.

Mister somn.
MSSCAMP is one O the best dang cattle women we got on here and shes a real stright shooter ta boot! There aint a dang thing wrong wit MSSCAMPs cattle knowhow so put yurself a lid on that can O yurn sonny!!

msscamp, we record the numbers of the RFID tags on all the animals that we purchase. We don't have a reader so I have to get pretty close to read. There's one cow we bought this year that is a little skittish and even with her head in the gate I would feel better having her head tied. We have a bar on the chute to catch the nose but it can be a pain to get the thing hooked up properly. A cow pushing out is stronger than me pushing in. I think it will be a lot easier to just slip a halter on her than get her nose caught. So thanks for the post, one person may not have found it helpful but I did.

Thank you, Victoria. :) I can't afford to get hurt - to me it's better to take a little longer than to take a chance on getting hurt.

Only-Beef, thank you. :heart: I very much appreciate your comments. :)

Latest posts