Cattle breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

steerhorn

Reaction score
Is anyone out there raising Beefmaster cattle? If so, ...how's it going? I switched to Beefmaster about 8 or so yrs ago. Really liked the breed (or cross I should say), but finding it hard to find Beefmaster bulls in our area. 2yrs ago, crossed my cows with a Limo. Liked the results okay, but still like the characteristics of the beefmaster breed, milk production, higher weaning wts. than most other breeds we've tried, general hardiness, and they gain well on poor(er) forage. Needing to purchase a bull this year and trying to decide whether to stick with a Limo or try something else, maybe angus.(?)

I am not a big fan of the Limo breed because they just don't seen to be as good of milker and they make the calves to round. Have you thought about using a simmental bull, they would still that nice muscle definition (less round) and they are great mothers. Also the simm/angus bulls are really becoming pretty popular and they are producing some really nice meaty calves. You are in Ohio, you should come to the Beef Expo in Columbus next week (starts on the 16th) and look around see if anything strikes you plus you get to compare all the breeds.

I can tell you this.. I have beefmaster cows...and I have used Gertrudis, Beefmaster, Simm, and now gotta Limousin bull.
I would rate them all fine bulls, but I really liked the results I got out of the Beefmaster and the Limo I have now best.

Do you guys in Ohio get docked for the ears, I know here in kentucky we do or I have before, I really like the Santa Gertrudis but I think I would come up short at the barn because of those ears.

tuck, exactly why I didnt like the Gertrudis.. I did get that bull because of a favor to a really good friend of mine, but I didnt like the outcome. too much ear and belly.
Now that Limousin I got.. He's got them babies looking fine!

Is anyone raising, or know of anyone raising Beefmaster Cattle in Ohio? In the market for a bull this year, and would like to keep it somewhat local. Don't have enough cows to justify traveling too far. Would like to find a Black Beefmaster bull, though I haven't seen many, but colors not that important.

check out wildoaksfarms.com or search wild oaks farm in arkansas- Good cattle- Great People

Latest posts