cattle breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

Well I cant argue with you freddie I have no personal knowledge about Simms I am just going on one experienced ranchers word. He does not know me or I him so I felt he had no reason not to be straight forward with me. Are you talking cross Simm or Reg.? I can see how they would flesh better if crossed with say an Angus ect.

Guys let's keep in mind the lady said her Dad would be looking after them - calving difficulties would not be welcome with the Fleck/Angus cross. They are a good terminal cross for vigor I agree, but it could turn into more work than needed.

countrychick, I've had Angus/Tarentaise cows for 10 years, and they've been some of the best commercial cows I've had. The only complaint with them is that they are fine-haired and a little fine-boned. But we've put thick, fleshy Black Galloway bulls on them and the calves are tremendous.

If you're interested in Galloways or Highlands, let me know and I could give you some phone numbers of some good folks that have breeding stock for sale. We have half Galloway heifer calves too. Just send me a pm if you like.

I am with SRR - Highlands are great cows as long as you don't want much of a paycheque. My grandfather started with Highlands because they pretty much take care of themselves. They are hardy and survive pretty much anything. If you want to actually make some money on your cattle though I would suggest Red Angus or Red Angus/Hereford crosses. We've done well with these cattle and the calves have all survived the freezing winters and cold wet springs. Just look for ones that have that nice thick hair coat.

Victoria":dv8ds69h said:
I am with SRR - Highlands are great cows as long as you don't want much of a paycheque. My grandfather started with Highlands because they pretty much take care of themselves. They are hardy and survive pretty much anything. If you want to actually make some money on your cattle though I would suggest Red Angus or Red Angus/Hereford crosses. We've done well with these cattle and the calves have all survived the freezing winters and cold wet springs. Just look for ones that have that nice thick hair coat.

Victoria have you ever seen this picture before supposedly of a highland hereford cow and her calf in front of her....
xbcnclf.jpg

frenchie":1tc9pxa4 said:
Victoria":1tc9pxa4 said:

Victoria have you ever seen this picture before supposedly of a highland hereford cow and her calf in front of her....
xbcnclf.jpg

That's priceless!

Welcome C.C.
As my personal experience is as opposite to what you need I cannot recommend my favourite breed. An observation though, my grandad a fanatical Angus breeder [is there any other kind?] in Scotland,he did however, keep a few Belted Galloways which stayed outside even in winter and thrived with little attention. Another breed not very common today that traditionally winters outside is the North Devon, a breeder in England tells me there are a few herds in Canada where they are apparently increasing due to their easy care.
Freddie; Simmental are very popular in South Africa and Namibia, and used in varied crossbreeding programs I used a smaller than average strain developed in our harsh area to supply a neighbour with Tuli cross Simmental females which he A.I.ed to Angus to supply a terminal cross to a feedlot.

The hurrier I am, the behinder I get!

That's a good looking calf frenchie! There was one year that our purebred Highland cow had the biggest calf on the place (she was bred to a Charolais). We've still got a couple half Highland crosses one with Angus, another with Charolais. We've also got a few Highland/Hereford cross with Charolais and they are great cows too. The only problems with the purebreds is too much hair. We call them our fuzzies and expect to get docked. They can milk though! Thanks for the pic, I haven't seen that one yet.

although I breed South Devon,Brahman and Hereford and there crosses. I would go along with those that have suggested Galloway,Highland,Belted Galloways or Murray Greys. There temperaments are good for what you have planned for your dad. I love South Devons they are very gentle but can from time to time have calving problems if your bloodlines are not researched a bit. Perhaps even Australian lowlines would be worth considering because of their likeness to the favoured Angus and they are small and meaty. They are excellent to cross for no calving problems.
Colin :D

Victoria":39t52fp5 said:
That's a good looking calf frenchie! There was one year that our purebred Highland cow had the biggest calf on the place (she was bred to a Charolais). We've still got a couple half Highland crosses one with Angus, another with Charolais. We've also got a few Highland/Hereford cross with Charolais and they are great cows too. The only problems with the purebreds is too much hair. We call them our fuzzies and expect to get docked. They can milk though! Thanks for the pic, I haven't seen that one yet.

I have always admired that Pic..It is on both the Canadian Saler site and the Canadian Highland society..They both claim the calf is sired by their respective breeds..It does not really matter as the cow looks to have done a good job.

But I lean towards a saler sired calf myself.

CC, You want a tough, easy keeping, easy calving animals and don't mind people asking what kind of cattle you have. Go with Santa Gertrudis. Don't believe everything you hear about hair coat. They will cross with almost anything and the momas have more milk than you know what to do with. Any way that is just my opinion

TK

Get yourself some saler cows. They are very hardy. Good hair coat, and all that. They will also keep you in good shape, running after them, or running away from them. But good cows.

Latest posts