cattle breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

countrychick

Reaction score
Just thinking about adding a few beef cows to my farm, I'm set up already. This would be a retirement thing for my dad, otherwise labour isn't available around here. How about tarentaise, with the good mothering ability and gentle nature I read about? Are they really hardy? I'm looking for a breed that doesn't get pneumonia as much as others, since we've had a really tough time with that. Any experiences? :roll:

I like any woman that refers to herself as a chick.

Don't get extreme.

Comon is comon for a reason.

hillbilly

Welcome CC !

I agree with hillbilly. Once everyone sees your post, I'm sure that there will be floods of advice by everyone who likes their favorite breed. There will also very likely be someone who "would suggest Murrey Grays".

I would stay with time proven cattle, like angus or hereford; I don't own either, by the way. Well, I guess in a way I own angus, but there only 5/8's angus.

Take care

I agree with going with whats common in your area. Everytime the question is asked about what breed, the angus answer always comes through loud and clear. Seems like its an open invitation to hear how there nothing besides "black" cattle.

Not that theres anything wrong with them its just that it seems to be the only answer to your question nowadays.

Who knows maybe their right. Angus is proven but might not perform or be as popular in your area.

Go with what works for you.

Being in canada get some cattle with a bit of hair and you wont have to worry as much about pneumonia. It is hard to beat Scottish Highland cattle for hardiness, easy keeping and great freezer beef. Pneumonia is very rare in Highlands. You also get the benifit of good looking cattle that are real conversation starters! If you want a bit larger animal that still has the hardiness and good hair for our winters look at Galloway or Welsh Black. If interested let me know and I can point you towards some good breeders.

When i was working in Colorado i was surprised to see alot of red cattle way more than idaho. I was told it was cause of the elevation and brisket disease. I also was told by the same guy that Canada has alot of non-black cattle also. Its all in comparison with the 90% black area around here. Maybe Doc and my pal frenchie know?

I would just tell you to keep things simple. I have noticed alot of first timers in my area get into crossbreeding 4 or 5 different ways and end up taking it in the shorts at the sale barn. Buy something that you know will sell well in your area. Cypressfarms said it best about the time proven cattle, they will not let you down. As far as the pneunomia thing I really don't think your gonna buy something that wont get it. Just dont buy something that wont fit your area because they will be very susceptable(like brahma or santa gertrudis or something like that).

I should add that the feeling I get from your post is that this is a small time fun retirement thing not a large cow/calf operation with the cattle being sold at the market. I would not recamend pure Highlands if you are selling at a sale barn. Crosses are OK or the Galloway and Welsh Black breeds. If this is just a retirement thing and you are raising beef for the freezer and for the joy of raising cattle you can hardly beat a Highland. Hardy, easy keeping, great tasteing, and almost pneumonia free. :D :D

There are a large number of Pinzgauer breeders in Canada. The largest is Diamond T Cattle Co, Olds, Alberta Canada. The breed originated in Austria and have been proven cold weather tolerant. http://www.pinzgauers.org should have a link to the Canadian Association.

cypressfarms":39r9b1oq said:
Welcome CC !

I agree with hillbilly. Once everyone sees your post, I'm sure that there will be floods of advice by everyone who likes their favorite breed. There will also very likely be someone who "would suggest Murrey Grays".

I would stay with time proven cattle, like angus or hereford; I don't own either, by the way. Well, I guess in a way I own angus, but there only 5/8's angus.

Take care

Yes cypressfarms, I would suggest Murray Greys,they are "time proven" as you suggest,and there are several Murray Grey breeders in Canada.(I hate being so predictable). ;-) :lol: :cboy:

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":2udxpgqq said:
cypressfarms":2udxpgqq said:
Welcome CC !

Take care

Yes cypressfarms, I would suggest Murray Greys,they are "time proven" as you suggest,and there are several Murray Grey breeders in Canada.(I hate being so predictable). ;-) :lol: :cboy:

You are as dependable as they get Springer!

I'd see what is being grown in your area...they are there for a reason. Not that other breeds wouldn't be suited as well, but I'd talk with the local folks and find out why. Could be that no one has ever thought of trying another breed...of course it could be a real expensive way to find out.
DMc

"There will also very likely be someone who "would suggest Murrey Grays".

Not trying to cause a breed war here, but are there any good/proveable reasons NOT to suggest Murrey Greys? I sincerely would like to know of any negatives about this breed.

T

Irish_Milkmaid
No reason what so ever. That was kinda an inside joke.
Search for posts by SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE you'll understand and you'll learn more about Murray Greys ;-)

Irish_Milkmaid":1qn1avue said:
"There will also very likely be someone who "would suggest Murrey Grays".

Not trying to cause a breed war here, but are there any good/proveable reasons NOT to suggest Murrey Greys? I sincerely would like to know of any negatives about this breed.

T

I don't know of any negatives about Murray Grey's and we've raised them for 30+ years. Sure you get the occasional cow that doesn't perform, but that happens in any breed.

IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A BREED TO HELP WITH INCOME TRY THE FLECKVIEH SIMMENTAL FULLBLOOD,TO ADD TO YOURE NEW SET UP THEY ARE VERY GENTAL AND ARE EASY KEEPING.
IN YOUR AREA YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIND A GOOG FLECKVIEH BREEDER.
AND YES I AGREE STAY WITH PROVEN CATTLE.
[/b]

FreddieJ,

Welcome.

Please don't use all caps, as it suggest that your mad or yelling. People tend to skip over messages with all caps, and we wouldn't want to miss something good.

freddiej51":1xqythlc said:
IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A BREED TO HELP WITH INCOME TRY THE FLECKVIEH SIMMENTAL FULLBLOOD,TO ADD TO YOURE NEW SET UP THEY ARE VERY GENTAL AND ARE EASY KEEPING.
IN YOUR AREA YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIND A GOOG FLECKVIEH BREEDER.
AND YES I AGREE STAY WITH PROVEN CATTLE.
[/b]

freddiej51 are you for real? :shock: :roll:

countrychick":1afe1brd said:
Just thinking about adding a few beef cows to my farm, I'm set up already. This would be a retirement thing for my dad, otherwise labour isn't available around here. How about tarentaise, with the good mothering ability and gentle nature I read about? Are they really hardy? I'm looking for a breed that doesn't get pneumonia as much as others, since we've had a really tough time with that. Any experiences? :roll:

Tarentaise can be okay..I have seem some real nice Angus/tarentaise And some real nice Hereford /Tarentaise...cows

There is a lot of wisdom In hillbillys words on common.

good Luck

you ask me if i'm for real? the answer is yes,very real.
the simmental have taken a bad rap by some want to get rich breeders that didn't[i feel] look out side the box for the right type of simmental.
bar none the fleckvieh strain is a much better choice if you want performance in your hybrids this is a fact.
why would so many commercial cattleman want the sim/ang
in their program,black,and red?
oh! sorry about the bold letters i just get carried away when it comes to the simmental breed [fleckvieh strain] they're good cattle to cross with.
thats my story and i'm sticking to it!!!!!

Latest posts