Cattle breeds as it relates to the Food Industries

Help Support CattleToday:

It's not the BREED, it's the carcass quality.. which relates back to tenderness and marbleing, which is unique to an individual animal / bloodline. I assure you there are high quality "eating experience" animals of every breed.

TheBullLady":10wtscue said:
It's not the BREED, it's the carcass quality.. which relates back to tenderness and marbleing, which is unique to an individual animal / bloodline. I assure you there are high quality "eating experience" animals of every breed.

You're right. That's why I asked about the specs of his Black Angus beef. If you look at the USDA branded beef site, beef from Prime to Utility is sold under the "Angus" name. I'd expect there would be a great deal of difference in your eating experience, no matter if they are all "Angus."

Angus/Brangus":3fx0td1p said:
Mike C. - you referenced
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18943
TOPIC_ID=18943

It sounded just like you. And don't get your dander up too much as I agree with many things you have to say about CAB. I just think their positives outweigh the minuses.

Sorry, that wasn't me. Never posted on that site. Just found it one day when I googled "Beef Forums".

VanC":1lh1c3tb said:
Bullheaded":1lh1c3tb said:
I am a Food Service representative and I have a question for anyhone who can help. My company sells Black Angus Beef. Lately, I have been running into alot of Restaurants using Hereford Beef and they are buying it alot cheapier. They say that Angus Beef has been so diluted in the industry, that it is not the same anymore. My question is, What do I tell my customers about buying Angus over Hereford. Is Angus truly better? If so why? What are the main differences? Help me sell Angus? :(

You will get lots of different opinions on this as everyone has different tastes in beef. They also have different preferences in breeds and most are fiercely loyal to the breeds they raise. My opinion is that Angus beef is good but no better than many others, and that the Angus breed is good but, again, no better than many others. The perception right now is that Angus is better because the Angus Association has been way ahead of everyone else in marketing their product for many years. Perhaps they can help you.

Also, not trying to be a smart-alec here, but I would hope the company you work for could give you the information you need. They are selling a product, they should know something about it, IMO.

Van c - It's like everythingt else, you only hear what company wants you to hear. I am 100% sure the Hereford companies tell their salespeople that Hereford is the greatest. I was looking for an outside opinion.

Sir Loin":1q83mswl said:
BH,
Re:
Lately, I have been running into alot of Restaurants using Hereford Beef and they are buying it alot cheapier.
To that I would say "well, as you know, you only get what you pay for". Then I would ask them "how do you know you are getting Hereford beef"?

Re:
They say that Angus Beef has been so diluted in the industry, that it is not the same anymore
What do they mean by that? An angus is an angus no mater how you cut it.

Re:
My question is, What do I tell my customers about buying Angus over Hereford. Is Angus truly better? If so why? What are the main differences? Help me sell Angus?
Sure I will help you, but first where do I send my bill after you know everything I know?
(Once a class clown, always a class clown)

BH,
first you will need to understand the history of both breeds.
In a nut shell, Herefords were originally bred as a duel purpose cow. That was to produce both meat and milk and they are more closely related to dairy cows then are Angus,
Where as Angus were only bred as a meat producer.
And the fact is dairy cows always produce the poorer quality meats.

Then you will need to familiarize yourself with words like:
RES (ribeye shape)
SS (stress score)
Tend (tenderness)
IMF (marbling)
REA/CWT (ribeyeArea per hundred pounds)
The best place to get the info I think you are looking for can be found by googling: cattle, ultrasound and meat, USDA.
Hope this helps.
SL
PS: Did the company you represent not give you any training?[/Yes, my company did give us training. But it is like anything else, you only get one persons side of the story. I want both sides to better understand my selling schemes. Thanks though for your help. I should have made this statement in my request. I have gotten alot of these questions. My Bad]

Bullheaded":10de7ub1 said:
VanC":10de7ub1 said:
Bullheaded":10de7ub1 said:
I am a Food Service representative and I have a question for anyhone who can help. My company sells Black Angus Beef. Lately, I have been running into alot of Restaurants using Hereford Beef and they are buying it alot cheapier. They say that Angus Beef has been so diluted in the industry, that it is not the same anymore. My question is, What do I tell my customers about buying Angus over Hereford. Is Angus truly better? If so why? What are the main differences? Help me sell Angus? :(

You will get lots of different opinions on this as everyone has different tastes in beef. They also have different preferences in breeds and most are fiercely loyal to the breeds they raise. My opinion is that Angus beef is good but no better than many others, and that the Angus breed is good but, again, no better than many others. The perception right now is that Angus is better because the Angus Association has been way ahead of everyone else in marketing their product for many years. Perhaps they can help you.

Also, not trying to be a smart-alec here, but I would hope the company you work for could give you the information you need. They are selling a product, they should know something about it, IMO.

Van c - It's like everythingt else, you only hear what company wants you to hear. I am 100% sure the Hereford companies tell their salespeople that Hereford is the greatest. I was looking for an outside opinion.

A short course in beef quality. Cattle receive two grades in the packing plant: Quality Grade and Yield Grade. Quality grades run from Prime (best) down to Utility (not good). Quality grade is established according to how much marbling is in the meat. Yield grade is mostly concerned in how much meat the animal yields. Consumers tell us time and again they prefer higher quality beef.

Angus cattle have a reputation for high quality grades; but sometimes don't do as well on the yield grade.

Because of the Angus reputation for high quality beef, dozens of companies have put the "Angus" name on packaged beef that may not be especially good. That may be what they mean by "diluted."

You need to identify the strengths of your beef. Is it a high quality grade? Is it aged? Is it treated in any way to make it better? But my guess is that they switched to Hereford beef because it's cheaper. I think there's more demand for Angus beef than Hereford, so the price is going to be higher.

Bullheaded":25plnjbo said:

I understand your dilemma. You'll get many opinions on this subject, just like almost any other. Different people have different tastes. Some like their beef well marbled, some like it leaner. Angus is generally known as being well marbled, but different animals can vary greatly within a breed. That's why the specs for CAB are based on the carcass after the animal is slaughtered, not the breed of the animal.

I'll give you my opinion again: Angus beef is generally very good, but no better than that of many other breeds. It's just been marketed better, so it sells better. Again, that's just my opinion- not to be taken as gospel. Good luck in your future sales.

Frankie":1bwwlgyx said:
Bullheaded":1bwwlgyx said:
VanC":1bwwlgyx said:
Bullheaded":1bwwlgyx said:

A short course in beef quality. Cattle receive two grades in the packing plant: Quality Grade and Yield Grade. Quality grades run from Prime (best) down to Utility (not good). Quality grade is established according to how much marbling is in the meat. Yield grade is mostly concerned in how much meat the animal yields. Consumers tell us time and again they prefer higher quality beef.

Angus cattle have a reputation for high quality grades; but sometimes don't do as well on the yield grade.

Because of the Angus reputation for high quality beef, dozens of companies have put the "Angus" name on packaged beef that may not be especially good. That may be what they mean by "diluted."

You need to identify the strengths of your beef. Is it a high quality grade? Is it aged? Is it treated in any way to make it better? But my guess is that they switched to Hereford beef because it's cheaper. I think there's more demand for Angus beef than Hereford, so the price is going to be higher.
Good point. My research so far has pointed to the following:
Hereford cattle were once milkers.
The breed has been crossed bred for a while.
The Hereford Industry is trying to improve this, just like the Angus Industry did many decades ago.
Genetics of the Angus, at present, are better. You have more intra muscle marbling unlike the Hereford breed which has alot of exterior fat. This cuts like Bone in Ribs are not going to be as "meaty" as that of Angus. Strips are the same, you will have less marbling throughout thus a tougher and less "juicy" piece of meat.
Consistencey in the product will be worse in a Hereford. Since they were "milkers" at one time, the muscle tissue will be elongated. So if you are using say a 14oz strip, the appearance may be a longer peice of product.
Needless to say, I am still searching for answers but have come a long way. If anyone has any other opinions or disagrees with these findings, please let me know and give me facts. These came from a University Professor who has a PHD.
But again, It is a matter of perference. But since he was not an Angus Farmer or a Hereford Farmer his opinion weighs more at this time. Any other Professor's out there?

VanC":1o2l4b6a said:
I'll give you my opinion again: Angus beef is generally very good, but no better than that of many other breeds. It's just been marketed better, so it sells better. Again, that's just my opinion- not to be taken as gospel. Good luck in your future sales.

Good post.

Bullheaded":26a7eof5 said:
My research so far has pointed to the following:
Hereford cattle were once milkers.

Where did you get this? It's simply not true.

The breed has been crossed bred for a while.

So has every other major beef breed, including Angus.

The Hereford Industry is trying to improve this, just like the Angus Industry did many decades ago.

Improve what? Breeders of every breed are constantly trying to improve their cattle. You're implying that Hereford breeders have just recently tried to make improvements that Angus breeders have been making for decades. A lot of good, knowledgable people would disagree with this, including me. (Not that I'm all that good or knowledgable). ;-)
Genetics of the Angus, at present, are better.

A matter of opinion. My opinion is that this is nonsense.

You have more intra muscle marbling unlike the Hereford breed which has alot of exterior fat. This cuts like Bone in Ribs are not going to be as "meaty" as that of Angus. Strips are the same, you will have less marbling throughout thus a tougher and less "juicy" piece of meat.
Consistencey in the product will be worse in a Hereford.

Not knowing much about meat science, I can't say whether this is true or not, but those are some pretty broad statements. I do know that Herefords are considered to be one of the better marbling breeds, as is Angus. I also know that I've had beef labeled Hereford and beef labeled Angus and both were very good. I wouldn't be able to pick one over the other. Not very scientific, but that's all I've got to go on.

Since they were "milkers" at one time, the muscle tissue will be elongated. So if you are using say a 14oz strip, the appearance may be a longer peice of product.

There's that "milkers" thing again. :lol:

Needless to say, I am still searching for answers but have come a long way. If anyone has any other opinions or disagrees with these findings, please let me know and give me facts. These came from a University Professor who has a PHD.

A PhD in what?

But again, It is a matter of perference. But since he was not an Angus Farmer or a Hereford Farmer his opinion weighs more at this time. Any other Professor's out there?

No, I'm not a professor. Even if I was, I could be wrong or biased, just like anyone else. I'm not trying to bust your chops here, but I think your research has some flaws. Some of it just ain't true and some of it is just someone's opinion. I would suggest that you contact an Animal Science professor or maybe an ag extension agent and have him/her recommend a couple of books on the history of the Hereford and Angus breeds and maybe one on meat science. If I were in your position, that's what I would do. Again, I wish you luck in your endeavors.

Latest posts