Cattle Board Etiquette

Help Support CattleToday:

It's not unusual for people to stop and look at or even take pics of our cattle (esp. the longhorns) and usually I'm just worried about them doing something stupid enough to get themselves hurt. But I've been curious about what might be wrong with a cow I saw on somebody else's place and thought about taking pics and posting, but it just didn't feel right.
If I catch myself wondering if something might be wrong, I try to take that as an indication I probably shouldn't do it. Just wondered if there was some code the rest of you knew about and I didn't. Thanks for the replies!

I'd probably feel strange taking pics of someone else's cattle without permission, but legally, if you don't trespass, I believe that anything displayed in public is fair game for a pic and doesn't break any laws.

Herefords.US":17f7dpmn said:
farmwriter":17f7dpmn said:
Let me start by saying I'm not criticizing anybody who has done this. What are your ideas about posting photos of other people's places or cattle? I feel funny about opening up somebody else's stuff for critique. You? Do you ask permission? Just curious.

If it's something that's been advertised or posted by the owner on the Internet or somewhere else, I'd say it was fair game to bring to this forum and discuss.
Taking your own pictures of your neighbor's cattle and posting them should also be OK as long as you didn't provide enough information that the exact owner or his address could be determined.

George
with you on the first comment, but your neighbors cattle might be where folks can see em... hel# I got a mole folks can see, i dont want em talking about it on a public forum

with you on the first comment, but your neighbors cattle might be where folks can see em... hel# I got a mole folks can see, i dont want em talking about it on a public forum

ROFLMAO......I figured you was gonna say "wart". :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

alacattleman":x5z12n06 said:
Herefords.US":x5z12n06 said:
farmwriter":x5z12n06 said:
Let me start by saying I'm not criticizing anybody who has done this. What are your ideas about posting photos of other people's places or cattle? I feel funny about opening up somebody else's stuff for critique. You? Do you ask permission? Just curious.

If it's something that's been advertised or posted by the owner on the Internet or somewhere else, I'd say it was fair game to bring to this forum and discuss.
Taking your own pictures of your neighbor's cattle and posting them should also be OK as long as you didn't provide enough information that the exact owner or his address could be determined.

George

I took a number of pictures of cattle from the road on a recent trip I took - with the intention of posting them to a thread here at CT. I didn't know any of the owners of the cattle and probably couldn't have given the exact location of some of the pictures. In the end, I decided not to post them because it sure wasn't going to be a very positive representation. Truthfully, Colin's comments about US cattle is probably what stopped me - I didn't want to add any more fuel to that controversy.

George

farmwriter":3er0ga3b said:
It's not unusual for people to stop and look at or even take pics of our cattle (esp. the longhorns) and usually I'm just worried about them doing something stupid enough to get themselves hurt. But I've been curious about what might be wrong with a cow I saw on somebody else's place and thought about taking pics and posting, but it just didn't feel right.
If I catch myself wondering if something might be wrong, I try to take that as an indication I probably shouldn't do it. Just wondered if there was some code the rest of you knew about and I didn't. Thanks for the replies!

It wouldn't bother me in the least if you stopped and took pictures of my place or my cattle. Heck, it would be a compliment. I kinda think its going a little far when Rockingridge took my picture on my porch and implied that Michael Jackson was staying at my place. :lol2:

Jogeephus":xh0tdyc3 said:
It wouldn't bother me in the least if you stopped and took pictures of my place or my cattle. Heck, it would be a compliment. I kinda think its going a little far when Rockingridge took my picture on my porch and implied that Michael Jackson was staying at my place. :lol2:

HUH? That is something i missed..I think

farmwriter":1fljep9j said:

Is that why you are asking ?
Or something else ?

This whole thread has me wondering exactly what you are getting at.. BTW the person who takes the picture owns the picture, no matter what.

rockridgecattle":1vrshqmt said:
Jogeephus":1vrshqmt said:

HUH? That is something i missed..I think

My bad. :oops: It was Rocksprings. Just made me so flustered.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59287

Jogeephus":jnz58vh4 said:
farmwriter":jnz58vh4 said:

Jo if that is you on the porch then you and I could be twins

Angus Cowman":5xwq5kjr said:
Jogeephus":5xwq5kjr said:
farmwriter":5xwq5kjr said:

So you got a Speedo bathing suit to. I like them myself. Think it makes me look a lot like Michael Phelps. :nod:

Jogeephus":3hjpq31w said:
Angus Cowman":3hjpq31w said:

So you got a Speedo bathing suit to. I like them myself. Think it makes me look a lot like Michael Phelps. :nod:
Jo I got arrested wearing mine once they tried to charge me with indecent exposure and was saying I was nude at the kiddy pool so I wore mine into court and the judge tried to write more charges for me being nude until I pulled up the roles so they could see I had a speedo on

Angus Cowman":2zqoq7io said:
Jogeephus":2zqoq7io said:
Angus Cowman":2zqoq7io said:

Jo I got arrested wearing mine once they tried to charge me with indecent exposure and was saying I was nude at the kiddy pool so I wore mine into court and the judge tried to write more charges for me being nude until I pulled up the roles so they could see I had a speedo on

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Back to the topic. I like pictures with or without people in them as long as the intent is not malicious.

hillsdown":349fln1p said:
farmwriter":349fln1p said:

Is that why you are asking ?
Or something else ?

This whole thread has me wondering exactly what you are getting at.. BTW the person who takes the picture owns the picture, no matter what.
Yeah, that and another cow I saw that doesn't belong to me. I thought she had some kind of warts or something all over her, but it was actually a striking pattern of tiny white spots on a black cow. Strangest coloration I've ever seen.
I know how cattle are sometimes picked apart here though, and I didn't feel right about opening up somebody else's stock or property to that kind of criticism, you know?

George[/quote] with you on the first comment, but your neighbors cattle might be where folks can see em... hel# I got a mole folks can see, i dont want em talking about it on a public forum[/quote]

I took a number of pictures of cattle from the road on a recent trip I took - with the intention of posting them to a thread here at CT. I didn't know any of the owners of the cattle and probably couldn't have given the exact location of some of the pictures. In the end, I decided not to post them because it sure wasn't going to be a very positive representation. Truthfully, Colin's comments about US cattle is probably what stopped me - I didn't want to add any more fuel to that controversy.George[/quote] i bet there aint as much difference out in their country as we think, ...its a poor frog that won't praise his own pond.

Unless I have EXPRESS permission or the animal is advertised(for sale, breeding,ect) and I am seriously considering them, I will not. I think critiqueing other's animals without their knowledge on a public forum is incrediably tacky..JMO of course. :tiphat:

spinandslide":13hhzkf3 said:
Unless I have EXPRESS permission or the animal is advertised(for sale, breeding,ect) and I am seriously considering them, I will not. I think critiqueing other's animals without their knowledge on a public forum is incrediably tacky..JMO of course. :tiphat:
well if there AI bulls or bulls/cattle, for sale this is a good place too have em raked over the coals .might be something the buyer cant see and be saved a world of heartaches

Spinandslide, I include showing in that class of fair game as well. If an animal goes in the show ring, he's nominated for public review.
And I agree - it's not the 'legality' of it that concerns me. It's the 'nicety' of such things. :nod:

alacattleman":17etiyh9 said:
spinandslide":17etiyh9 said:
well if there AI bulls or bulls/cattle, for sale this is a good place too have em raked over the coals .might be something the buyer cant see and be saved a world of heartaches

I agree..I said that in my first post. but taking a photo of your neighbor's bull or cow whom you have no intention of doing anything with to simply have folks "rake them over the coals" is just "not nice", IMO.

Latest posts