Cattle Behavior Rating Scale

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Know probably a lot of you could care less about a "Rating Scale" for cattle behavior. However, those of you that are halfway interested, I'd like your input! The horse people have a rating scale that is used on some websites that have horses for sale.

So...

On a Scale from 1 to 10, How would you rate cattle behaviors in general?

For Example:

1 = So dang docile you can sit on them, poke them, and they just yawn.

10 = So dang wild, they'll try to kill you if you look at them the wrong way!

So, what's your input for items 1 thru 10?

Thanks!

On the Lim scale.

10- I really don't care to be around you and there is only a 6 foot hurdle here. See ya.

I have some I could take a nap, use a 1500 pound cow for a pillow.
Really! not kidding.

I've worked at getting a tame easy handling herd, and it's worked :D

My herd is 1.5

I got a couple of brangus that would score a 10+. I really ought to get rid of them but they both are fantastic mommas and they also make great watch dogs.

5-7 would be ideal. pet cows are a PAIN IN THE BUTT to work. 8 i would say is a nervous cow that tends to be in the last bunch to be worked. 9 is highheaded and wants to challenge you. 10 already jumped out or either never got caught to begin with.

i just stand at the gate and cows slowly walk by me out until i turn one back. i still have some 8s, seems like new 8s alwasy step up when others are gone. most of the real pet cows have died or gone to town. most of the older cows just kind of squint at me when they walk by like please dont me back.

Guess I need to further clarify my post here. What I am really asking is "what" words or phrases would you use to describe each of the ranking numbers 1 thru 10?

I'm not asking how one would rate "their" cattle as such. From

Most Docile

1 ?
2 ?
3 ?
4 ?
5 ?
6 ?
7 ?
8 ?
9 ?
10 ?

Most Violent

1 = Is it breathing?

2 = I think it's breathing!

3 = It's definitely breathing!

4 = Well mannered!

5 = Somewhat well mannered!

6 = Needs a little work on manners!

7 = Needs a lot of work on manners!

8 = Call a priest for evaluation!

9 = Requires excorcism!

10 = Too late for excorcism! Priest can give last rites.

Alice

I do all my cattle handling by myself. Move cows with young calves to pasture, keep the pairs together. In the Fall move them home. And lots of other handling in the course of a year. I'm no Spring chicken. My cows and bulls are all easy handling. No question all breathing. So using Alice's rating then mine would be
3.5 :D

Running Arrow, I know exactly what you're asking for here but I don't know enough about cattle to even begin to sound intelligent about this. Now, horses would be another matter. What I do know is that we don't have any aggressive cows in our small herd, they are curious and keep their distance.

Alice":18qobz37 said:
1 = Is it breathing?

2 = I think it's breathing!

3 = It's definitely breathing!

4 = Well mannered!

5 = Somewhat well mannered!

6 = Needs a little work on manners!

7 = Needs a lot of work on manners!

8 = Call a priest for evaluation!

9 = Requires excorcism!

10 = Too late for excorcism! Priest can give last rites.

Alice

Alice:

I like your classification but where would you fit in a cow that uses her evil eye to make you think all hell is about to break loose and then gives in and follows directions like a 5.0?

(Don't turn your back on em... ) Jon

Occasionally you'll see some come through the sale barn who have never seen humans before. Definately 10's.

1. can't make em move with a dump truck and a jar of grape jelly.

2. hey you old &*#@$ get off my foot and I'll remove this hot shot from your nether regions.

3. A coyote once raised a litter of pups in her shadow.

4. Can hear a feed sack opened from a mile away but can't hear the truck horn while licking the grill.

5. Between the first four and the last four.

6. Like #5 with an attitude.

7. Eats barb wire for the minerals.

8. Meaner than two greased tom-cats in a onion sack.

9. Can't be penned with 12 dogs, 6 horses and the local police department.

10. Last seen dragging eight fence post and the bumper off a 95 ford hanging off her horn.

Sounds like the Limousin Doscility EPD....

Our little bull is rated at "1"....supposed to be so nasty that he'll take down any fence. He has covered all the cows and is now working on the heifers and can be led around by the halter and hasn't so much as put his ears back to a person. Likes his back rubs and head scratched. Dmc

1 neighbors cow
2 will let you touch her
3 inquisitive and enjoys eating wiring harnesses
4 will let you walk right behind her without worry
5 requires 6 foot comfort zone
6 requires 20 foot comfort zone
7 no real comfort zone but does have about a 3 foot discomfort zone if you step into it
8 resembles a gazelle or a spooked deer
9 poker faced. can't really tell what going on in their pea brain kinda looks like she wants to get you but hasn't found the right situation yet
10 will get you with or without calf. Usually has big ears and are fantastic jumpers but are usually terrific mommas

Bama":1kc69yed said:
1. can't make em move with a dump truck and a jar of grape jelly.

2. hey you old &*#@$ get off my foot and I'll remove this hot shot from your nether regions.

3. A coyote once raised a litter of pups in her shadow.

4. Can hear a feed sack opened from a mile away but can't hear the truck horn while licking the grill.

5. Between the first four and the last four.

6. Like #5 with an attitude.

7. Eats barb wire for the minerals.

8. Meaner than two greased tom-cats in a onion sack.

9. Can't be penned with 12 dogs, 6 horses and the local police department.

10. Last seen dragging eight fence post and the bumper off a 95 ford hanging off her horn.

Bama, those are good!!

Can't beat Bama's
but here's mine.

1.The old cow you can't sell cause she's to tame to load on the trailer.
2. The cow you have to walk around cause she won't move.
3. The ones you can do anything you want to their newborn calf.
4. The cows you can handle, move anywhere with a bucket.
5. Move anywhere with a sorting stick.
6. Takes a couple hard wacks with the ax handle.
7. Can do anything with her newborn calf if there's a steel gate between you and the cow.
8 You meet her on the cowpath and you walk around. give her at least 100 yards.
9. You can do anything with her new born calf, that is if she died calving.
10. The old cow that's been around forever cause your scared to death of trying to load her on the trailer.

Latest posts