Cattle Associations

Help Support CattleToday:

BuckemRanch

Reaction score
I am wondering how many people are members of a cattle association. Have you found it helpful? What are the good and bad points?

Damien

I have been a member for years, of course it is helpful. It is truly silly if you are a cattlemen and do not join. Associations are out their every day working for you by promoting your product, working with local and national government leaders to help get some of the pie, or at least reduce legislation contrary to the values of the membership.

Also, the National Beef Cattlemen's Association was one of the first out the door when the BSE thing hit last year. They persisted in calming the nerves of the public and look at where we are now. It might have been a whole different story if it wasn't for the power of the collective voices of our local and national associations. By also joining your local chapter of the state association, you again have access to educational meetings and the opportunity to get to know other cattlemen in your areas.

Educational opportunities abound. Our association in GA has great meetings, a very educational monthly magazine, a website and periodic email newsletters - all for $35/yr. Can't beat that!

Do your self, and all of us a favor, and join your state and local chapter.

Billy :cboy:

BuckemRanch":2zagqpm7 said:
I am wondering how many people are members of a cattle association. Have you found it helpful? What are the good and bad points?

Damien

Yes, we belong to both the Angus Assn and our state cattlemens assn. I can't think of any actual bad points to belonging to them. Dues are reasonable for the state assn and there are several benefits, a news magazine, support a group that watches out for cattlemen/farmers in the state legislature, regional meetings with info on marketing, herd health, etc., plus the opportunity to sell heifers in their fall female replacement sale. If you want to register Angus cattle, you must be a member of the American Angus Assn, so that's a reuirement for us. But considering what the AAA does for me every day, I'd belong even if that wasn't a requirement.

I am a member of Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Assc. They are a good bunch I think. Dues are based on number of head owned. They have lobbiests and the such for politics. The one thing I really like is they have there own Police force if you will. A part of the Dept. of Public Safety Texas Rangers investigates thefts and the like. All free and fast service because they only work with Texas and Oklahoma and issues concerning their members. The also have their own brand inspector at all sales, slaughter houses. Both for cattle and hourses.

American Dexter Cattle Association and Purebred Dexter Cattle Association. I rather look at it as supporting the breed with the dues paid. I also like the certificates for more proof of ownership. Another positive is it's fun to watch the growth in the yearly herd book, as more animals are registered.

We are members of: International Texas Longhorn Association, Texas Longhorn Breeders Association of America, Peruvian Paso Horse Registry of North America, American Owners and Breeders of Peruvian Paso Horses, and Tennessee Walking Horse Breeders and Exhibitors Association.

To register our animals, we have to be members of the respective associations.

Running Arrow Bill":2endi8cr said:
We are members of: International Texas Longhorn Association, Texas Longhorn Breeders Association of America, Peruvian Paso Horse Registry of North America, American Owners and Breeders of Peruvian Paso Horses, and Tennessee Walking Horse Breeders and Exhibitors Association and Peta.

We're members of the American Brahman Breeders Assoc. and American Simmental Association.. mostly because we're required to be members to register our cattle. In my opinion, ABBA is worthless. ASA is close, but the local Texas chapter is wonderful. Great people, a lot of support, sanctioned sales in Texas to consign animals to, a web site to advertise on free of charge, etc.

ASA is going to be starting a new deal next year.. it's called "Total Herd Enrollment", and it's designed for producers to report every calf from every cow.. regardless if it's a steer that goes to the auction barn, a dead calf, or a calf sold to a kid to show. The goal is to get more detailed and reliable information for EPD's. It will be interesting, if slightly unwieldy to implement!

TheBullLady":36ms9fou said:
We're members of the American Brahman Breeders Assoc. and American Simmental Association.. mostly because we're required to be members to register our cattle. In my opinion, ABBA is worthless. ASA is close, but the local Texas chapter is wonderful. Great people, a lot of support, sanctioned sales in Texas to consign animals to, a web site to advertise on free of charge, etc.

ASA is going to be starting a new deal next year.. it's called "Total Herd Enrollment", and it's designed for producers to report every calf from every cow.. regardless if it's a steer that goes to the auction barn, a dead calf, or a calf sold to a kid to show. The goal is to get more detailed and reliable information for EPD's. It will be interesting, if slightly unwieldy to implement!

The Red Angus Association has had it for years. The only real downside I see is that with our registered cows, since we have never submitted calving and other data, if we wanted to register a calf from one of them it would cost a fortune in back fees to get the cows data up to date. Yes it costs, but it's the best way I can thinnk of to get the data required for accurate EPDs.

dun

ollie":1vos9ohy said:
Running Arrow Bill":1vos9ohy said:
We are members of: International Texas Longhorn Association, Texas Longhorn Breeders Association of America, Peruvian Paso Horse Registry of North America, American Owners and Breeders of Peruvian Paso Horses, and Tennessee Walking Horse Breeders and Exhibitors Association and Peta.

Ollie,

How did PETA get on that list???

Hillbilly

Texas Longhorn Breeders Association of America and Tennessee Valley Association of Longhorn Breeders (an affiliate that a group of local breeders started four years ago-I was one of the founding members as well). They are helpful in promoting the breed-hosting events and get togethers where members can get exposure and market their cattle.

Scotty":1d5bd76z said:
I am a member of Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Assc....The one thing I really like is they have there own Police force if you will. A part of the Dept. of Public Safety Texas Rangers investigates thefts and the like. All free and fast service because they only work with Texas and Oklahoma and issues concerning their members. The also have their own brand inspector at all sales, slaughter houses. Both for cattle and hourses.

That is if you have a Ranger that will ACTUALLY come out and investigate and do something about the problem. Our Ranger won't.

Callie":2p54ggza said:
That is if you have a Ranger that will ACTUALLY come out and investigate and do something about the problem. Our Ranger won't.
Callie, if you're a TSCRA member, and if you have a Field Inspector that won't come out and help you with a theft investigation, you need to contact the Director of Law Enforcement in Ft. Worth. I assume you have the contact info for him, as well. If you don't, please PM me and I'll try to help you.

ollie":pv9svjan said:
Running Arrow Bill":pv9svjan said:

I DID NOT put PETA on my list of memberships! See my original post of October 13. Somehow, someone, apparently edited my message (or some frigid alien did it) and put "Peta" at the end of my message.

You can't raise and be a friend of livestock if you have ANYTHING to do with PETA!
:mad: :D

We are members of the American Hereford Association out of necessity; you can't register cattle any other way. The irritating thing is the $100 per year activation fee that you have to pay to register anything. Membership is only $15. Then there are the typical fees for registrations and transfers on top of that of the $5 and $10 variety. On the other hand, this enables me to sell bulls for significantly more money than I can get at the sale barn.

Latest posts