Cattle and Horses !

Help Support CattleToday:

fkassim

Reaction score
Hi...I just bought my first calf...an 8 month old friesan and am wondering if its ok to keep her with my horses ? All my horses are stabled in individual stables and the calf also has her own stall. Can they be kept close to each other or does that pose a risk of some contagious disease or so (ringworm, rain scold, etc.) I heard cattle are prone to ringworm infections ! Can I have the calf use the same paddock as the horses ? Obviously not at the same time ;-) I have been raising and breeding horses for quite a while but am completely clueless when it comes to cattle. Any advise would be greatly appreciated...

fkassim,

Welcome to the boards! Are you from Jordan, as in the country?

I think that boarding your calf would be fine with the horses. Ringworm is not that difficult to get rid of, even if cattle do acquire it. As many people have cattle and horses in the same pasture, I do not believe there to be any danger healthwise in putting them together. Will you bring the calf out to graze at all, or keep it stalled?

If your from Jordan the country, do you have Arabians? Just wishing, I guess.

Cypressfarms,

Thanks for the feedback...I was seriously beggining to worry ! I just got the calf today for my little boy and unfortunately didnt even think of the consequences before going out and buying it. And indeed I am from Jordan the country and breed WAHO purebred Arabians. If you need any help in that area let me know I'll be glad to assist if I can.

Sorry...as far as grazing is concerned...honestly not sure what I'll do but my original idea when I first bought the calf was to have her out grazing in the horse paddock during the early morning and then putting her back in and letting the horses out in the same paddock....still unsure whether its a good idea or not ???

Shouldn't be a problem as long as your horses don't harass the calf. :) My little QH pony thought it was a ball to chase the cows and bite them on their backs. Before I bought her the previous owner had her with his dairy cattle but ended up seperating them. On the other hand I commonly see horses pastured with cattle around here, and although the horses seem to stick to themselves, everyone looks like they're getting along.

fkassim":1gqyph5q said:
Cypressfarms,

Thanks for the feedback...I was seriously beggining to worry ! I just got the calf today for my little boy and unfortunately didnt even think of the consequences before going out and buying it. And indeed I am from Jordan the country and breed WAHO purebred Arabians. If you need any help in that area let me know I'll be glad to assist if I can.

O.k. you did it. I love my arabians. They are egyptian and egyptian/spanish mix. My best mare, a flea bitten, female tail line goes all the way back to Zulima (1900), the famous ware mare. Both of my mares I been able to trace their pedigree back to 1845! O.k. fkassim, I can see you and I are going to be friends.

WOW from Jordan. I don't know much about arabians. I have a grandson of Two eyed Red Buck.

We have 2 horses in the pasture with our cattle. I don't think they like each other much, but the horses stay to themselves and do not bother the cows unless food is involved!!! :lol: I have heard of some horses not getting along with cattle though...maybe you could put them together and see how they react? If the horses are too aggressive for your liking, you could let them graze seperately. It is up to you since they are your animals. We were worried about the mix as well when we started, so we just tried it out. Good luck with your choice!

I never mix Cattle with our Horses, except for a while in the Summer months. I feel it's a recipe for trouble, of course a lot depends on the Horse, but I've always had Horses run the Cows, and when it's Calving season, I've had Horses try and steal Calves.I had a Quarter Horse Mare kick a Cow in the head once, and it sounded like a sledge hammer hitting her.IMHO, I just feel it's safer to keep them seperate.

Crowderfarms":1y9hwzcp said:
I never mix Cattle with our Horses, except for a while in the Summer months. I feel it's a recipe for trouble, of course a lot depends on the Horse, but I've always had Horses run the Cows, and when it's Calving season, I've had Horses try and steal Calves.I had a Quarter Horse Mare kick a Cow in the head once, and it sounded like a sledge hammer hitting her.IMHO, I just feel it's safer to keep them seperate.

Funny thing this evening. our bull got out couple days ago :mad: he tore the gate off between two fields. So past two days mules, horse and some cattle have been in field. So me and kids were out trying to fix gate and some fence and the bull kept coming around. So we just hollered like it was feed time, when mules and horse came a running that bull took out of there like a little baby, and horse was on his tail. They made good watch dogs while doing the repairs.

Usually we do not get much problem, but when the babies hit the ground the mules are going crazy. I do not worry to much when they are not calving and are full grown cows, but would be scared to have them in with the babies.

I have 2 six month old calves in the same pasture as 3 horses. The only problem I had was when they were first introduced. The calves were only 2 weeks old and the horses had never seen cows before. The TWH gelding tried to stomp the calves at first but after a while he just ignored them. The old paint mare bagged up (which was odd) and the percheron filly only kicked at them if they got too close to her rear. The cows quickly learned horsey language and now the only problem I have is at feeding time, and that's not really a problem. The claves know to stay out of the way until the horses are busy eating. Then they can go into their stall and eat. They are all out there right now eating off of the same round bale. :)

we have two QH mares with some of our cows - they all get along well - will eat out of the same hay ring and they stay together somewhat
but now there is a new bull - he is just a little over 2 years old and thinks that he is pretty important - well one of the mares thought that she should get a certain spot to eat - shoved her way in near the cow that the bull had just been up close and personal with ... ;-) well, he showed her who is really boss of the hay ring with one swift headbutt her hind quarters went airborne. :lol: :lol: :lol: end to that problem - the mares went off and pouted for the rest of the day
but now they all seem happy and content again :)

mdmdogs3":vxbgnr19 said:
we have two QH mares with some of our cows - they all get along well - will eat out of the same hay ring and they stay together somewhat
but now there is a new bull - he is just a little over 2 years old and thinks that he is pretty important - well one of the mares thought that she should get a certain spot to eat - shoved her way in near the cow that the bull had just been up close and personal with ... ;-) well, he showed her who is really boss of the hay ring with one swift headbutt her hind quarters went airborne. :lol: :lol: :lol: end to that problem - the mares went off and pouted for the rest of the day
but now they all seem happy and content again :)

She can't be the "lead" mare. A horse can pop the mess out of a bull or cow and do much more damage than just a headbutt from a bull. I don't think I've ever see a horse being dominated by a bull/cow. The mare must be very low on the totem poll. All my mares need to do is put their ears back and the cows go running.

Cypressfarms,

Impressive ! Glad to see that you're into Arabians...I'm sure we'll be friends :) Most of my breeding horses I bought from The Royal Stables of Jordan (Princess Alia) and have a few Polish Arabians. My studs are Hlayyil Ramadan's (world Champion 2002) offsprings. I have several foals and filles from Shamekh Al Shaqab. Do you ever go to the website http://www.straightegyptian.com ?

fkassim":152dy0ia said:
Cypressfarms,

Impressive ! Glad to see that you're into Arabians...I'm sure we'll be friends :) Most of my breeding horses I bought from The Royal Stables of Jordan (Princess Alia) and have a few Polish Arabians. My studs are Hlayyil Ramadan's (world Champion 2002) offsprings. I have several foals and filles from Shamekh Al Shaqab. Do you ever go to the website http://www.straightegyptian.com ?

Yes, fk, and I also use the following website to research my arab's ancestors:

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/

You can go there and type in the name of a horse, and it will bring up it's pedigree. I have some pretty famous arabs in the bloodlines here including Mesaoud, Ansata Ibn Halima, Dahman, and many others. Always interesting to know where your horses came from, and Arabians have pretty good records on them, thanks to the Bedouins and people like Lady Blunt.

IMHO Cows, Horses and range feeding don't mix. I have had 4 horses pastured with 20+ cows. They ignored each other except when we dropped cubes for the cows. Two of the horses joined in the feast without trouble but the other two were constantly trying to force the cows away by pushing and kicking.
A kick in the gut could cost a future calf. There is another reason to separate them. We have free choice minerals with cotton seed and salt. I could be wrong but I believe cotton seed (free choice) to horses over a period of time will cause them to founder.

Anyway we separately feed cows & horses otherwise no problems.

Jay

i too have an arabian, she just a plain ol arabian. blue roan,nothing fancy,, but she is the boss of the pasture, and she almost the smallest in the field, i have big draft mules, they run from her! she gives the "mean mare look" and there out of here, she as sweet as she can be with people, cause my big belgin molly mule to jump the stall wall last summer.over 6 feet high, got her hind quarters hung up had to cut the stall way with a chain saw. it didnt see it but i know stormmie came in the barn, and maudie was looking for the exit! her back toe of her hoof was barley touching the ground, not enough to push off of. i raise mules so you horsey people are gonna cringe {sorry}but i have the fastest, flashiest little arab mule. she gonna be a ride when she gets old enough, already out growen her dad the arabians are truly a beautiful, gracefull horse.. Rose

Cypressfarms,

Me too I always do alot of my research on allbreedpedigree.com...its excellent. we used to subscribe to US Horse Data Source just to be able to get some of the info. thats readily available on allbreedpedigree... What stallion lines do you have and do you participate in any shows ?? Send some pics. if you have any would love to see them.

Latest posts