Cattle and Goats

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Does anyone allow there Cattle to graze with goats in the same pasture? I was going to turn out my childrens goat in the pasture with my cows to help control weeds?

Yep, if the cows have seen a goat before, they won't think twice about it. I have both and have grazed them together for some time. The goats eat the weeds and brush and the cows eat the grass, so they're both happy.

Thanks, yea... I didn't know if it was bad idea for other reasons or not. I didn't know if it affected the cattle in any way but thanks for clearing it up. My kids have some pgymy goats.

skyhightree1":3pt2fgad said:
I have 4 strands barbwire with 2 hots on inside of fence. Do you think that will suffice ?

Throw a bucket of water at it. If the water can get past it, the goats most likely can too. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

grannysoo":1gbik5ms said:
skyhightree1":1gbik5ms said:
I have 4 strands barbwire with 2 hots on inside of fence. Do you think that will suffice ?

Throw a bucket of water at it. If the water can get past it, the goats most likely can too. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I went outside and threw some water on my woven wire ... Water got through... Looked back and goats were still in there...lol... yea on a serious note I will try it a week if that doesn't wore they will be stuck in the woven wire forever...lol

My cousin and I have been trying to figure out a cheap, portable, goat-worthy fencing panel system and go into buisiness as 'environmentally friendly land clearing'. We'd take the goats and the panels and set em up on your place, taking them water and moving the panels till your unwanted vegetation is gone. Sounds like a winner to us! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

skyhightree1":10fwu3d4 said:
lol can I buy some stock in your company...lol That is truly a " GREEN " idea.
It's only really green if the goats haul the equipment.

farmwriter":2rgv38z0 said:
My cousin and I have been trying to figure out a cheap, portable, goat-worthy fencing panel system and go into buisiness as 'environmentally friendly land clearing'. We'd take the goats and the panels and set em up on your place, taking them water and moving the panels till your unwanted vegetation is gone. Sounds like a winner to us! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

There is one or more companies in California doing it now. They graze down the hillside growth that fuels some of the bad wildfires. I think after awhile the goats have there job down pat and do not require that extensive fencing.

farmwriter":5l7fc1we said:

I suspect you're being facetious with this post, but just in case you're not - you actually don't need fencing to achieve this goal - just a few guard dogs that know their jobs, and the boundaries. People have been doing it for quite a while now.

mwj":22ou7oqz said:
farmwriter":22ou7oqz said:

There is one or more companies in California doing it now. They graze down the hillside growth that fuels some of the bad wildfires. I think after awhile the goats have there job down pat and do not require that extensive fencing.

If that's the case I do believe Calif. need many many more goats cause they are not getting the job done quickly enough.

farmwriter":2p3tjihl said:

City of chattanooga has contracted goats to clean up kudzu and it has worked well. They have eaten even the roots of it and there aint na more kudzu.

skyhightree1":2dh68od2 said:
My dad has ran goats for the last 20 yrs with that type fencing one will get out occasionally but usually because the fence charger is off
friends has them on 160 acres with a 5 barb fence and a single hot wire and not any problems

Angus Cowman":1mknpj6t said:
skyhightree1":1mknpj6t said:
My dad has ran goats for the last 20 yrs with that type fencing one will get out occasionally but usually because the fence charger is off
friends has them on 160 acres with a 5 barb fence and a single hot wire and not any problems

He an exception to the rule.

Latest posts